• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod for Precision Rifle

AIorBust

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2012
I'm in need of a tripod for hunting/tactical apps.

I would like for it to be able to hold a 50 BMG class weapon. If this is not possible It will need to hold my AI AW 338.

Weight is a concern and carbon fiber would be money well spent assuming it can hold a AW 50 that tilts the scales at around 35 LBS.

Also what would be a good head and mounting options for me to consider.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, But I'm really looking for those who have first hand experience.

Thanks

Pretty sure Danel had a 45# plate on top of his large tripod in one of the PRS threads on the old site. Not sure how the heads would hold up after a lot of use or if that is the best option. I'm sure there are heavier duty options out there. His name on the old site was Platypus and the site was mentioned earlier, precisionriflesolutions.com

I've seen some HOG saddles on some large tripods but I'm not sure what they were.

I am a huge fan of PRS's products, I use one for all of my guns up to about 20lbs and for my spotting scope. If anyone here REALLY thinks that the Slik tripod is a good choice for use with a 50 cal you are smoking crack/ drinking Tigers blood and are Charlie sheen high.

I agree with what I have seen with my medium PRS. It might hold the gun up but wouldn't be too steady and the heads probably wouldn't function too great after a while, I'm sure it's not a very good option with such a heavy rifle. Don't know anything about the "HD" model that is listed as "coming soon" though.

Forgot to mention PRS has HD Tripods, I got one a few months ago. Their website states that they are coming soon, but you just need to call them. They should hold your 50BMG, just call PRS and check.

My PRS large tripod would begin to telescope when I put too much pressure bracing my rifle that weighed 18lbs so I moved to a hog saddle on a monfrotto. Have not looked back since. Also the rifle being locked in and the stability factor allows me to stay sub MOA past 500 yards.

Forgot to mention PRS has HD Tripods, I got one a few months ago. Their website states that they are coming soon, but you just need to call them. They should hold your 50BMG, just call PRS and check.

How do you like the HD version vs the regular tripod? I like the regular but like what Matt2143 said about the legs telescoping with a heavier rifle and a little pressure is my only real complaint. Do you have this issue with the HD?

How do you like the HD version vs the regular tripod? I like the regular but like what Matt2143 said about the legs telescoping with a heavier rifle and a little pressure is my only real complaint. Do you have this issue with the HD?

No issue with the HD tripod, it is solid but not what you would want if you had to pack it for a long hike.

No issue with the HD tripod, it is solid but not what you would want if you had to pack it for a long hike.

Is it quite a bit heavier than the standard one? I am just using it for competition and around the ranch so weight isn't a huge deal if it works well.

Is it quite a bit heavier than the standard one? I am just using it for competition and around the ranch so weight isn't a huge deal if it works well.

The HD tripod is not really that heavy for what it is, but it is bulky. With a good pack it isn't a big deal and it is much for sturdy than the regular one. As to the exact weight check with PRS. Anything that will support heavier rifles will need to be thicker legged.

The HD tripod is not really that heavy for what it is, but it is bulky. With a good pack it isn't a big deal and it is much for sturdy than the regular one. As to the exact weight check with PRS. Anything that will support heavier rifles will need to be thicker legged.

Cool. Thanks. I think I may pick one up so I can compare.

From PRS:

The large tripod specs:

Maximum Height 63.6" (161.5cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 51.6" (131.5cm)
Minimum Height 6.7" (17.7cm)

The HD tripod specs:
Maximum Height 70.1" (178.0cm)
Maximum Height w/o Column Extended 55.1" (140.0cm)
Minimum Height 10.8" (27.5cm)

The Large tripod will easily go from prone to standing. It is lightweight and packs easily. It weighs just over two pounds.
The HD tripod weighs almost six pounds, but does not pack easily.

so let me get this straight all you guys that are using a PRS tripod are pretty much putting a multi thousand dollar rifle and milti thousand dollar optic on a 125.00 dollar tripod is this right.
as for a AW 50 it's about 12,000.00 + optics. i would think twice about putting it on a 125.00 tripod. this is just my opinion.

spend the money on a good tripod.

Out of curiosity, how many people here recommending the OP use the Slik tripod sold by PRS(not HD) either own and or have any hands on shooting experience with a 50 cal? My guess is most don't, otherwise they wouldn't be recommending this model tripod be used with it, it clearly isn't the right tool for the job.

Yea I have also heard of guys killing monfrotto heads in conjunction with a hog saddle when running M107's....

The Marines for the most part what I hear are NOT using any sort of head on the monfrotto tripods and instead saving weight and increasing durability by mounting the saddle directly to the tripod and leaving the saddle clamp slightly loose to allow for elevation changes and the lower clamp loose enough to allow for panning. At least if you use a PRS rest the rifle can freely recoil and less stress is imparted on the tripod assembly.

Well, I've been following this thread and doing my homework and ended up ordering the HD PRS with the SSP-2 saddle and the grip head. I'm confident that it will work for my shooting. Most of the time it's going to have a spotting scope mounted on it but once in awhile I need a tripod to shoot from. Even though my rig doesn't weigh more than 15 pounds I decided that I wanted the HD. Downside of the HD, to me, is it won't adjust as low as the other two models. I'm not planning on packing the whole thing in on a wilderness hunt so weight isn't an issue. I'll let you all know if I like it or not. If I don't I'm going to blame you guys that liked it:)

Well, I've been following this thread and doing my homework and ended up ordering the HD PRS with the SSP-2 saddle and the grip head. I'm confident that it will work for my shooting. Most of the time it's going to have a spotting scope mounted on it but once in awhile I need a tripod to shoot from. Even though my rig doesn't weigh more than 15 pounds I decided that I wanted the HD. Downside of the HD, to me, is it won't adjust as low as the other two models. I'm not planning on packing the whole thing in on a wilderness hunt so weight isn't an issue. I'll let you all know if I like it or not. If I don't I'm going to blame you guys that liked it:)

For what you are doing it will work fantastic. However the Original poster was asking about a tripod for a 50 CAL rifle, there is a big difference in weight and recoil and the small SLIK tripod heads ability to stay tight over time and repeated use.