• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes tripod/ head

flims

Rifletalks.com
Minuteman
Jul 10, 2008
UK
www.rifletalks.com
i had some time to play with my newly acquired mk4 TMR spotter from leupold and its clear that i need a proper tripod something which is solid and doesnt move at the slightest wind.

im thinking of the Benbo tripod which can even go very low such as in this photo
http://www.ophrysphotography.co.uk/images/benbo_7964.jpg

which head should i get so that i can adjust the elevation and tilt of the spotter in small micro adjustments without disturbing the picture much so that i can get the reticle of the spotting scope on target particularly at long ranges?

Re: tripod/ head

I use a Manfrotto 055xProb and a 3275/410 gear head. It's a bit heavy, but it's pretty stable, and it can go as low or as high as you'll need (maybe 8 inches to well over 6 feet). The gear head gives you the capability to make minor adjustments by turning small knobs. There's no locking mechanism for them, just friction, so once you have it adjusted where you want it, just let go and it stays there.

Over time, the gear head has developed a small amount of backlash, about 4-6 MOA as measured through a USO spotter. It is kind of annoying when using really high magnifications, but it's still way better than any of the grip heads I've tried, and it's just as fast to get on target once you learn how to use it.

Another vote for Manfrotto
AT80HD.jpg

I really prefer a video head that is smooth to pan around when looking at game, wildlife etc. The geared head in Andre's photo does work great for micro adjustment. I used to have one, but I sold it because I felt it was too confining for general use (slow to pan). I love Bogen/Manfrotto products. I use a Wilderness tripod with 401 head.

guys is this the one you are speaking about? 219 dollars
http://www.adorama.com/BG3275.html?sid=1243618226900062

i just saw the new video on cheytac website and they were using a sort of pistol grip style for adjusting the tripod, are those any good?

I bought the leupold because of the TMR reticle really. i still haven't tested if the reticle subtends as it should at different magnifications. i always like to double check. the glass is bright and sharp but not as sharp as a Swaro i was using at the range. however what the swaro doesn't give, the leupold does.
Most guys have the 3-12 S&B or 4-16 and with the Swaro even though we could see the hits on rock/soft dusty ground, you would not be able to give a solid correction without going into the usual conversation rather than just the correction.

The puff of dust rising from the ground can even be seen with a nikon XL2 at 1200m just as we could observe it with the Swaro so i wanted a reticle based optic. i like the 0.2Mil hash marks on the far end of each stadia.

Yeah, that's the one I use. One of the fluid video heads like jw mentions would also be a good idea.

I personally don't think the grip heads are very good at all. I've used one of the vertical ones which was too tall. It just couldn't support much weight at any angle other than straight up. They're fast to adjust over large angles, but not very precise once you get on target with them. I'd say they're more suited to photography with standard lenses, not high magnification viewing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kombar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a Manfrotto 055xProb and a 3275/410 gear head. It's a bit heavy, but it's pretty stable, and it can go as low or as high as you'll need (maybe 8 inches to well over 6 feet). The gear head gives you the capability to make minor adjustments by turning small knobs. There's no locking mechanism for them, just friction, so once you have it adjusted where you want it, just let go and it stays there.

Over time, the gear head has developed a small amount of backlash, about 4-6 MOA as measured through a USO spotter. It is kind of annoying when using really high magnifications, but it's still way better than any of the grip heads I've tried, and it's just as fast to get on target once you learn how to use it. </div></div>

I two have the same tripod which I use while bench shooting, The platform that hold the arms slides out and I just use fishing weights as counter balance. I have the ballhead platform I believe it is the 488 model and works great.

flims,

Yes that is the 410 geared head. Very heavy duty, very precise, very slow to pan.

The "pistol grip" head you refer to is a quick release on a ball head. Pull the trigger and it is loose and free to pan. Let go and it grips the ball and won't move. I have never tried one. I don't think it would be precise enough for spotting scope use at long range, but I might be wrong.

Let us know what you pick and how you like it.