• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod help? What to go under a hog saddle.

man32ahan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Fairfield, Illinois
Set on a hog saddle. Will be using a variety of guns on this including coyote hunting guns, deer hunting slug guns, and precision rifles.

I am going hog saddle because not all guns will have Arca/picatinny options on them.

My question is what tripod and ball head should go under the hog saddle or should I just direct mount the hog saddle to the tripod? I want lightweight and as stable as possible.

What’s better a ball head or leveling base?

School me and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
A leveling base is going to have a bigger ball than a typical ball head but it might step you up in to a heavier tripod than you want.

If weight is an issue, direct mount is lightest.

I would say leveling base if 15 degrees up and down (total 30) is enough, I think it is for most. If so then go leveling base as it is slightly more stable, lower profile and makes you’re tirpod more compact.
Really right stuff (RRS) is the best IMO. If you just cannot/will not afford RRS then IMO LeoFoto or Fiesol are great options.
I would say narrow your budget and specific products can be recommended.

If you are trying to stay budget friendly we have our TA-U-LC which can go on most all tripods, and a VR-76 rail that we built for the bottom of our VYCE, but will work for the hog saddle.
http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/TA-U-LC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp
http://soar.reallyrightstuff.com/VR-76

TA-U-LC-SOAR-Universal-Leveling-Base-with-Clamp.thumbnail-01.png
VYCE-Equipment-Support-Mount.2-05.png

Last edited:
I (and a few members of team MDT) run the SLIK AMT Pro legs (https://amzn.to/2oZRyDQ) with a leveling base and arca adapters. Don't get me wrong, I am saving my pennies for an RRS setup with carbon legs and a leveling base, because they are the most stable setups there are, just running the SLIK for the time being :)

Reactions: Sgtdrake
Thanks everybody for the advice. I think I’m gonna go with the new patriot valley tripod and the RRS series 3 leveling base under the hog saddle.

You guys think that will be a good effective lightweight setup?

I think youll like the leveling base. You will need a plate underneath the Hog saddle so the lock knob does not hit our quick release. You can find other plates out there , but like I mentioned before, the VR-76 is the one we made specifically for that reason.
VR-76.main-6.png

I’m curious how the Patriot Valley tripod can be 21” collapsed but still extend to 72”. My RRS TVC 34 is 21” collapsed but only extend to 58”.

Michael, wouldn’t the TA-3 leleving base be a better option for height and stability for him? The PVA tripod is 75mm

Reactions: man32ahan
Missed that. Sorry.
Let us know how that PVA works. Would like to know if their measurements prove to be correct.

I think youll like the leveling base. You will need a plate underneath the Hog saddle so the lock knob does not hit our quick release. You can find other plates out there , but like I mentioned before, the VR-76 is the one we made specifically for that reason.
View attachment 6943586

Well fuck, didn't know about that lol. I milled a piece of steel to shim my hog saddle up to clear the leveling head. I was going to make an aluminum one since the steel was just what I had laying around but I might just have to buy this.

Reactions: man32ahan
Can't go wrong with RRS if you have the wallet for it. I went with a Feisol CT-3372. Not the lightest option, at a shade under 4 lbs, but it's sturdy with a load capacity of 66 lbs. Load capacity is one factor of overall stability. I haven't tried the 3442, but it's lighter, less expensive, and stil has a 55 lb. load capacity.

I’m really surprised that they are getting the support needed with a center column.

So, to be clear, I am running this head: http://stores.hogsaddle.com/gnn-fb-52-ball-head/

And, this http://stores.hogsaddle.com/marc-qd-plate

With this tripod: http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig0311-g-field-tripod-od-green/

And, a Pig Saddle.

Same rig as Feds.

More info in this thread: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/tripod-setup-for-actual-leo-sniper-use.6900149/

See @AMTeam4 comments in the tread reference above for better clarification.

Hope this helps. Very steady and great rig, in my view. JAE or MPA chassis sitting in mine.

*NEWB ALERT*

What is the point of a ball head vs. a direct attachment?

I have not played with the Pig tripod but in my experience there is no way that you can compare the stability of a center column with a ball head and a pig saddle all stacked on top of each other to a tripod with a leveling, or RRS Anvil, mounted directly to the tripod directly mounted via Arca rail to the gun. Not even close. Just my opinion.

Just for the record, I’ve got a pig tripod and wasn’t too thrilled about the stability of the center column either... also not crazy about the added complexity (column kept on spinning when I tried to adjust the leveling base.) I just removed it. You can sandwich a fender washer in and fashion yourself a 3/8-16 mounting stud. If you’re a little bit creative you can remove that center column.

I've been researching the hell out of this and seems like the Feisol 3372 with the RRS leveling base is probably the very best bang for the buck you can get. Thats my plan as soon as funds allow again-

If you decide to go with a ball-head instead of a leveling base, checkout the RRS Anvil 30.

If you decide to go with a ball-head instead of a leveling base, checkout the RRS Anvil 30.

What would be more stable? Anvil 30 or leveling base with hog saddle/vyce on top of it?

I was set on leveling base but anvil 30 has peaked my interest.

I went semi cheap to get the same(ish) result OP is going for.
Pig saddle I got from a fellow member, and a slik pro 700 DX (legs only) from amazon. Direct mounted. I cheaped out on the extra $40 for the pig 0311. I plan on building another setup in the spring so my hunting partner or other guest can use one.
Its solid, smooth, and very adjustable from the messing around with it I have done. I'll field it this week on some yotes or hogs.

20180918_073331.jpg
20180918_073557.jpg

Interesting thread, Ive just bought a hog saddle (finally). Isn’t planned to mount it to a 90mm leveling base but that didn’t work out because the saddle jaws won’t open.

My first thought was to put a shim under its main body to raise it slightly (like some tin). It’s currently mounted on a 66mm base which still allows it to open and close.

Any thoughts?

I have a HOG saddle and a leveling head. Not pleased with it. Very hard to manipulate the lever on the head with the saddle on there. Looking at some other alternatives.

*NEWB ALERT*

What is the point of a ball head vs. a direct attachment?

The saddles are just large clamps to hold the rifle securely. They give you a very limited range of motion. So the tripod may have to be turned or legs adjusted if you need to aim left/right or higher/lower. Or the rifle has to be adjusted in the saddle or the saddle left loose enough to be able to move the rifle up and down a bit.

A ballhead or leveling base allows the rifle to be clamped securely in the saddle then the tension knob on the ballhead can be loosened allowing the whole saddle/rifle to be adjusted up, down, left, or right. They come with different size balls and different weight ratings. Usually the larger the ball size the heavier the weight rating. That translates into smoother movements. So the rifle is in the saddle. The tripod is set down and no matter the orientation when set down, the ballhead can be loosened, the rifle moved into position, and the ballhead securely locked down.

Ballheads are just like a ball and socket joint. You get more range of motion but typically a lower weight rating and a bit less stability. Really good if you do a lot of high angle shooting.

Leveling bases are like a half ball within a bowl. You get less range of motion (usually about 15* up and 15* down) but they are not as tall which makes them a bit more stable and usually carry a higher weight rating. I also want to add that 30* total is a lot of up and down motion. They’re fine for hills and shooting from low towers and out in fields.

Reactions: PBWalsh
Anyone know of a low budget Amazon sourced riser to sit on my leveling bowl that cam with my Innorel AS80C so my hog saddle can articulate a little more? I don't want to add the bulk of a head on it. Thanks.

Attachments

• View recent photos.jpeg
    View recent photos.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 45