• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod recommendation (another one)

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Hey all, I know this has been discussed at length, but purchasing without hands on is pretty tough.

Looking for a quality tripod that isn’t going to crush my wallet. I’ve recently gotten into the prs game, and am realizing a tripod is in the near future. As with anything , I realize it’s play to play. Are there any real quality tripods that aren’t gonna bankrupt me? I see two vets, but can’t get hands on. Rrs is currently out of my league. I have shot off a vortex radian, and having little experience with tripods I thought it was pretty damn nice. Is there anything else in the price range of the radian (I’m le and get the discount) that’s better quality?

I’d prefer not to buy it twice. I’ve made the mistake of buying junk, and then buying the one I wanted in the end. I just can’t justify top dollar when I’m shooting 8-10 prs events a year and maybe one or two stages are tripod.

Thanks in advance.

Having same issue, but decided on Fat Boy Tripod. Don't know, if you've looked at them. Around same price as Vortex, and Two Vets.

If you don’t want to buy it twice, buy an RRS. They’re worth the price.

You can save a few hundred $$ buying lightly used ones on eBay. I’ve bought a few that way and so far they’ve all been like new. You can use the PayPal financing for option and spread it out over 24 months for 0% interest if you don’t want the rape your bank account in one go.

I like my 2 vets as well. My buddy just got a fat boy and it is really nice as well... Don't worry man its only money.

• Haha
Reactions: Charlie112
For those of you with two vets, for a dedicated PRS shooting and glassing tripod, is the QDT the way to go?

It may see some occasional use for predator hunting .

Yep. Tripods aren't rocket science. RRS just figured out how to make the twist lock operable mechanism better than anyone else and they function better than most. My Feisol was pretty good too, but I had to send it in a few times to get cleaned by them after the legs locked up.

Two Vets Recon V2 or QDT V2. Dan is a great guy and will definitely take care of you should anything happen. He donates a ton of his time and product to the Guardian Matches (and thus to shooters and foster kids). Give him a call if you need some coaxing.

For those of you with two vets, for a dedicated PRS shooting and glassing tripod, is the QDT the way to go?

It may see some occasional use for predator hunting .
I prefer the Recon V2 for a bit more versatility. The QDT V2 was pretty much purpose built for NRL hunter because tripod has to be collapsed and stowed. With the QDT's longer sections, it's just about perfect kneeling height w/o adjustment.

You can save a few hundred $$ buying lightly used ones on eBay. I’ve bought a few that way and so far they’ve all been like new. You can use the PayPal financing for option and spread it out over 24 months for 0% interest if you don’t want the rape your bank account in one go.
Agree. Like someone said and I fall into that category, "I am not rich enough to buy cheap shit". I had 3 different tripods finally ending up with a RRS TFCT 33. I would have saved by a long shot getting the RRS tripod in the first place. This also applies to other firearms/shooting stuff I bought over the years. I am a slow learner I guess, lol.

Reactions: shields shtr