• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod shooters, quick question for you.

BigJohn141

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2011
Timnath, Co
After shooting with a tripod for a while, are you happy with your choice or would you go with a different leg configuration? I ask because I have a 4 section 36mm leg tall tripod on order. I’m 6’5” tall so I want the extra height. It’s on back order but should be available in the next week or so. I’m REALLY thinking about canceling and switching to a 2 section 36mm inverted. I will lose 3” of height, 70” compared to 73”, but less work to deploy and from everything I read they are a lot more stable. Of course the folded size will be a lot longer but I don’t plan on packing this thing up a mountain. Also the cost is around $150 more but I can live with that. So the big question is do you guys the have 4 section tripods think it would be better to run a 2 section inverted?

I run a 4 section

It provides options

Speed of deploy isn't an issue for me, nor is stability (RRS 34L, can't speak to other ones)

I dont think about deploying it r the sextions, just keep talking/thinking about whatever and it happens

after you've done it 50x; for the height/configurations you use regularly there isnt thought

I would not give up the flexibility of four secrions for 2 unless its purely a flat range/gamer tool

Most important thing to me is to use the Anvil head.

My favorite piece of kit. (Along with the little barrel coolers)

Last edited:
I run a 4 section

It provides options

Speed of deploy isn't an issue for me, nor is stability (RRS 34L, can't speak to other ones)

I dont think about deploying it r the sextions, just keep talking/thinking about whatever and it happens

after you've done it 50x; for the height/configurations you use regularly there isnt thought

I would not give up the flexibility of four secrions for 2 unless its purely a flat range/gamer tool

Most important thing to me is to use the Anvil head.

My favorite piece of kit. (Along with the little barrel coolers)
An anvil will go on top of whatever tripod I land on for sure.

I use a 4 section as well (RRS TFCT-34, I'm only 5'8" so no need for the "L"). I use it for everything, hunting, PRS/NRL, field matches. I'd stick with a 4 section unless it was strictly for use/quick deployment for PRS kinda stuff. The 4 sections are just way more versatile not to mention less of a pain to hike around with and you can deploy it quickly with practice.

After shooting with a tripod for a while, are you happy with your choice or would you go with a different leg configuration? I ask because I have a 4 section 36mm leg tall tripod on order. I’m 6’5” tall so I want the extra height. It’s on back order but should be available in the next week or so. I’m REALLY thinking about canceling and switching to a 2 section 36mm inverted. I will lose 3” of height, 70” compared to 73”, but less work to deploy and from everything I read they are a lot more stable. Of course the folded size will be a lot longer but I don’t plan on packing this thing up a mountain. Also the cost is around $150 more but I can live with that. So the big question is do you guys the have 4 section tripods think it would be better to run a 2 section inverted?
Hi John - what are you planning to do with it....range shooting, mounting observation (well, its clear you want to shoot off of it), competition shooting, hunting (but you said you were not planning to haul it up a mountain but perhaps other hunting?).

Also, how do build your position for shooting off of a tripod. For example, I do not stand straight up but try to set the tripod up so I'm bent at the waist in a semi-prone type of position from the waist up. BUT, I'm no expert on tripod shooting but this was the position given to me in a clinic and it makes sense. Hell, I'm almost prone in the upper body shooting from a bench also.

I ask this because at 6' 5" you are 78 inches tall....and your eyes are not on top of your head. So, 70" should work just fine for you if you have almost any sort forward/bent position vs standing straight as an arrow.

I have a 3/4 with an Anvil-30 and I'm quite happy with it. But, I don't compete. If you are looking for advise about a tripod for PRS/NRL, you will need input from another.

Go to matches and try some. You'll never know what you like until you use a few.

I do like the 2 section 2-vets for gaming, but a 4 section makes more sense hunting.

Reactions: BigJohn141
i opted for the TVC-34 Mk2 SOAR® Series 3 Tripod, with the adapter plate and the anvil-30..
rather than the tfct-anvil, or tvc-22i options.
although there might be some measurable sacrifice in stability, i don't believe this is a factor for me personally.
i prefer to have something that can be deployed with the smallest footprint possible, without sacrificing maximum height (versus speed of deployment or other criteria). the versa head allows the use of leveling base or conventional setup for whoever inherits this tripod (which helps a poor like me justify spending this much).

I prefer less sections for exactly the reasons you state. Less time to deploy, more stable. AND one less thing to break, actully six in your case. Twist locks. The weakest link in any tripod.

Go to matches and try some. You'll never know what you like until you use a few.

I do like the 2 section 2-vets for gaming, but a 4 section makes more sense hunting.
Been to matches and tried a few. Definitely like the anvil head. Saw a 2 section inverted this past weekend but didn’t get a chance to try it. Seeing how beefy and stable it was really got me thinking about it though.

You can use RRS spikes to raise it up 3” on hard-ish surfaces. Or buy a CF extender for bino use. They make adjustable ones too.

Edit: or buy spikes with plastic ball covers that pop on/off. With the cover on it shouldn’t sink unless you’re standing in mud.