• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripod Shooting

Lunar95

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2019
Iv done little under 0 tripod shoots and put about equal time into learning it.

I do have a vortex high country for my spotting scope that i could use but im not sure what all else i need or if its even good enough to use.

I saw some things like gear heads or something similar, are these required and what are my options for mounting a rifle to the tripod, id like to be able to use it with multiple rifles aswell. I saw a m-lok attachment but a few of mine don't have m-lok on the bottom, i saw some clamp options but they were either 40 bucks with bad reviews or very expensive.

I do have a vortex high country for my spotting scope that i could use but im not sure what all else i need or if its even good enough to use.

I saw some things like gear heads or something similar, are these required and what are my options for mounting a rifle to the tripod, id like to be able to use it with multiple rifles aswell. I saw a m-lok attachment but a few of mine don't have m-lok on the bottom, i saw some clamp options but they were either 40 bucks with bad reviews or very expensive.
What's your budget?
You can spend upwards of 1100 plus dollars or less than 200.
A pig tripod and pig saddle can be had for less than 300.
You can step up to the hog saddle and spend a bit more.
You can get a really right stuff tripod and ball head etc... for a whole lot of money.
The higher end models can be had with ARCA mounts, etc... but that means equipping you rifles with ARCA mounts as well, which is added cost.
I'm not saying it isn't worth it, but I don't have that kind of scratch.
There are other models out there as well, you must pay attention to the weight capacity.

A BOG deathgrip can be had for 140 or so dollars, VERY serviceable, they have a carbon fiber model for about 100 bones more.

Reactions: HPIguy
Good advise above… sky is the limit. I’ve had silk, manfrotto’s, pig ultra lite and ended up with a really right stuff in the end. For the money I really think Slik makes an awesome tripod. I believe they also make the pig and pig ultra lite… but if you contact Slik you’ll be able to get replacement parts easier. You’ll eventually break something.. if not, well I guess you’re luck, special or don’t use your stuff and push its limits a lot. Manfrotto’s are good as well. I do prefer twist legs to the throw levers. Much quicker, easy to adjust, no tools needed for extra Allen heads. All personal preference. The Bog death grip I’ve seen and for the money is impressive as well.

I think it depends on what type of shooting your doing? Are you hunting, or competitions?
You can get away with running a bag on top of your tripod which will cut down on a lot of movement and provide a larger surface to shoot from. You can also use a clamp to cover a variety of rifles, but it adds cost and weight - but it is more fixed in place if your ambush style hunting. You can generally attach those directly to the apex of the tripod as well, or to a ball head.

This is one example (see the underside picture) https://www.bisontactical.com/shop/hog-saddle/

Some tripods don't have a 3/8" bolt to attach to, so you need to make sure your tripod does, but I would suggest trying to shoot off your tripod with a wider bag on top of it just to see what type of groups you get at the range at 100 yards first.

that's a very lightweight tripod and i don't think that it is something ideal to shoot off of, except maybe with a bag on top (better than nothing).
it really depends on how you're going to use it.
the most stable tripod you can afford is preferable.

this is your tripod, correct? with a ballhead already?

opplanet-vortex-high-country-tripod-14-8-53-8-inches-black-hc-2-vx-tr-hc-2-v2.jpg

Reactions: 1moaoff
I'm gonna try this soon as well.
As a photographer, I have many tripods, heads, and arca clamps.
Just bought a pig saddle for my huge carbon tripod that I have used exclusively for video, until now...

I have a bog death grip I used for hunting and it works great . I dont think I would try and use it for prs just because of the way it attaches .

It's a compromise just like everything else. The tripod you have currently would probably work but not very well. Likewise once you get something sturdy enough to shoot a 20+ pound rifle from it becomes fairly heavy. Grab any decent 40mm carbon fiber tubed tripod and fit it with a RRS Anvil 30 and you can't really go wrong. If you have a good bag toss it on top of your current tripod head and if your rifle balances well you might not need to get those expensive heads and arca rails.

To me ?
Believe me, my video work tripod,
CF Induro Grand Series 5 Stealth GIT504L is plenty capable.

To me ?
Believe me, my video work tripod,
CF Induro Grand Series 5 Stealth GIT504L is plenty capable.
I was replying to the OP with my post...but you prove my point as your tripod has an 88 pound rating but it weighs 7 pounds without a head.

Reactions: buggz
Yeah, I looked at those Bog Deathgrip thingies, didn’t see anything I liked.
And as I said, I have been enjoying photography work for so long, since the 70’s ,
I have a LOT of different tripods of different configurations/capabilities.

Yeah, I looked at those Bog Deathgrip thingies, didn’t see anything I liked.
And as I said, I have been enjoying photography work for so long, since the 70’s ,
I have a LOT of different tripods of different configurations/capabilities.

Try it with a game changer or similar first. The gun won't be locked in good and bad for your situation. With a bag on it it really just becomes a barricade.

After removing the video head I use, Manfrotto 504HD fluid head, I "found" again, my Induro leveling ball head.
Seems to work well, no where near as much range as a "regular" ball head, but seems sturdy enough.
I tried it with my heavy rigged out .308 Seekings SP10, and it locked up well enough for me.
I have been enjoying the use of old massive Slik ballheads, unfortunatley, no longer available, it seems.
Fortunately for me, they don't break, and lock up all the heavt photography rigs I'ved used.
I am sure they would continue to work well for rifle duty.

Oh, another thing about ball heads, you HAVE be attentive of heavy loads when fully free!
I guess everyone who has worked with them knows this, and probably learned really quick.
I like the leveling ball for this reason.
It will depend on the situation at hand...

Try it with a game changer or similar first. The gun won't be locked in good and bad for your situation. With a bag on it it really just becomes a barricade.

This is a good idea, I want to try this also.
This reminds me of the bean bags I've used before for photography.
Psst, another old school trick is to put a heavy weight bean bag on TOP of the telephoto lens, inline near the ball head plane connection...

Reactions: rookie7
As an ex-photographer, I too had a stout tripod in a Ries J100-2, which I use when I don’t go too far. I bought an RRS TFC-34 and use that for waking around. For both I have an Arca Swiss B1 ballhead and use either the acra dovetail on my KRG or the RRS Vyce for regular hunting rifles.

The Vyce is a ballsy clamp.

@Diver160651 is THE tripod man. Quick pro-tip from him: when standing and shooting off a tripod, bend over way more than you think is necessary. You’re sort of emulating prone.

Quick pro-tip from him: when standing and shooting off a tripod, bend over way more than you think is necessary. You’re sort of emulating prone.
Thanks at @seansmd and @carbonbased.

Just a point of clarification.

While I shoot PRS and NRL, my tips are field-based. What you can get away with when shooting a 25-30lbs 6BR, just maybe a disaster with a 9lbs (sub 6lbs base weight) magnum field rifle.

While you see more and more instructors have you stand tall with your heavy 6mm and almost not touch the gun, relying on your skeletal structure, it is just is not going to let you see the impact with that light weigh field rifle. In both cases, we're trying to mitigate shooter influence, but with a lightweight field rifle you are best bent at the hips providing a light be very solid shoulder to help control the recoil, you might also choose to set the tripod with a lean towards the target and let the tripod legs help as well.

I know we are playing games with the PRS/NRL, but I still am a firm believer if you hunt, you should practice the ways that work best.

Reactions: 260284

If you have any questions about our Really Right Stuff products feel free to email me or give me a call. I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have. [email protected] 385-248-0830.