• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tripods

Knight6

Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
California, USA
Tripods have come a long way in recent years. I am using an older one - Manfroto carbon fiber and finding it really much less stable than I think newer models would be. I would love to get peoples thoughts on currently available models such as Cruxford, RRS, lafroto etc. they are a big investment for me and your experiences on stability, usability, accessory availability, cross usecof heads etc. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for helping me work through my decision on what will be my new tripod.

I had a manfrotto aluminum tripod and switched to the leofoto carbon fiber. Weight was cut in half and I think the leofoto is much more stable than the older manfrotto.
I bought the 324? With 40mm ballhead package for less than $400. I’m only 5’8” so even though this tripod is the shorter version, it’s perfect height for shooting standing when fully extended

Based on a recommendation from someone here I got this: https://www.nightgoggles.com/shop/n...ing_wp_cron=1543338491.1928920745849609375000

Which is always a long lead time, but you can get the same thing by buying this:
https://www.amazon.com/XILETU-Carbon-Tripod-Removable-Monopod/dp/B06XHFDYL4

and this:
http://stores.hogsaddle.com/pig-saddle-1/

I had one of their pro versions for a little over a year and they were a good jump into the tripod world. I’ve since moved on to a leofrotto 365c since I can’t find any of the RRS anvil 30 tripods for sale.

Here’s a couple takeaways from my experience. First the night stalker is slightly heavier and has larger diameter legs due to having 8 layers of carbon fiber vs the 10 layers on the 364c. The locks for the legs operate the same and haven’t noticed a large difference between the two. The biggest thing that lead me to changing tripods was the ballhead. The one that come with it is just ok, but not a huge fan of the sturdiness of the ability to make small adjustments to the tension. I’d use it for a spotter if I still had it, but I wanted something better and sturdy for shooting off of.

It’s definitly a good starter tripod but not one you will have forever in my opinion.

Last edited:
I waited for a while to get into the tripod game and it is a learning experience to be sure. Between all of the options in leg sections, materials, center post or no center post, weight, ballheads, leveling bases, etc. My head was truly spinning out of control.

I have a few friends with different tripods...Manfrotto, Leofoto, PIG, etc and thankfully I had the opportunity to really try them all out. For the cost, the PIG is really hard to beat. Yes it isn't sexy carbon fiber and yes it is a bit heavier (about 1-2 lbs.) but it works and works pretty well. If you are thinking about buying and financing a tripod, then buy this instead. You can get all in for cheap money.

You brought up RRS so I will give you my opinion there as well. I always felt it was freaking hype. People that paid the crazy price need to hype it to feel better about their purchase. Being an engineer, I could not rationalize why a tripod was worth $1,100. I went to a class last year and one of the students who is a member here had an RRS. I got to use it a little bit and my opinion changed, unfortunately. It is better than the hype. It is smooth and incredibly well thought through. Craftsmanship is very evident. Little touches here and there that make you understand that this is truly a precision instrument built by a company that wants to be the best. It is that good. Would I go into debt to own one? The answer for me is no for others it may be yes. If you are looking for the lightest and smoothest and most stable platform on the market....look no further IMHO.

I would have to say I had a similar opinion of RRS until I tried it. It was hard for me to believe that it could be two or three times nicer than a monfrotto or nightstalker to command such a high price. When I got the 364C I went with the RRS leveling head because I’ve been frustrated with how the ballhead moved. Mine have felt like they were binding up on me when I tried to move at an angle and I thought once I got the leveling head it couldn’t get any better and it was still half the price of a new anvil RRS. The leveling head has eliminated the binding and I don’t feel limited by the 30 degrees that it can move. All that being said once I tried the RRS i knew I would be buying one. The tighter apex and low weight made me see it as both a PRS and hunting tool. Not to mention the new anvil ballhead is simple to use and locks up tighter than anything else I’ve used.

I get that the RRS is a big ticket item and not everyone wants to spend that kind of money on one and in that case there are options out there that will preform amazing. But if you on the edge about a RRS setup I would say buy it. You won’t be disappointed

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
Check out Diver160651’s thread further down. Actually, there may be 2 threads. His excellent info should answer your questions.

There are several excellent threads on here discussing tripods. Use the search function to get loads of hands on opinions. The RRS stuff is expensive but it is not just hype. If you can afford it you won't be disappointed.

If you have the funds the RRS is very hard if not impossible to beat or replicate, but we have budgets. I believe that sometimes we get wrapped up in the "if you can't by (insert most expensive possible product here) your life will suck, what you buy will suck, and you will regret it" It's like telling someone that just bought a $150k corvette they are going to hate life and suck if they don't spend the $1.5 million on a mclaren. Doesn't matter how great it is, not everyone is going to shell out $1.5 million for a mclaren.

There are a lot of great tripod options now, and I personally believe the head and it's method of attachment itself is more critical than the tripod legs, but of course those are important too. Nothing will annoy you more tripod related than a head that is not smooth and does not lock up solid, so if I want to save money somewhere, it's in the legs. The performance difference from a $500 tripod legset to a $1000 tripod leg set is a lot less than from a $150 tripod head to a $300 RRS head so I'll spend the extra on the head before the legs. We have a lot of "mid" priced carbon ~$500 tripod options now (Leofoto, feisol, 40 Mike Mike, PVA, etc.) that get you very close to the performance of the RRS at half the price. Of course the RRS is more stable, has some slightly nicer features, and is making tripod and heads now specifically for shooting, and it should for twice the cost. If you are "budget" minded I'd say get one of those tripods, put a RRS head of choice on it, and you still save $500. If you don't care about the $$$ of course buy the RRS, or something even more expensive, in the camera/optical observation world there are tripods that make the RRS options look economical, you can spend thousands on them if you want.

Reactions: 260284
Great information everyone! Thanks so much.

A follow up from a tripod novice. Are heads interchangeable between makes? I take it leveling bases are not interchangeable generally. But heads?

Not all but many of the heads and leveling bases are interchangeable between makes. Sometimes there are minor adjustments that need to be made but often they are simple drop in affairs. Once you narrow down the makes you are interested in you can check for compatibility. There are several excellent thread here describing what works with what.

It depends on the tripod, so the larger/heavier tripods tend to have 60/65/75/100mm "bowls"and in some cases some tripods are compatible with RRS series 2/3 adapter plates or other generic leveling plates of the same size, but it's kind of hit and miss. Smaller/lighter tripods tend to have a fixed plate with a 3/8" thread, or a adjustable center column with a 3/8" thread post.

The more universal system is that most all "bowl" tripods come with a plate with a 3/8" stud on it, so that you can use almost any tripod head/RRS universal leveling head, etc. with it. These usually are not quite as stable, but are more likely to work across brands. For example you can use the RRS leveling TA3 some tripod's 75mm bowls, but they are not as smooth and you lose the amount of angle adjustment. In other cases you can try to use the series 3 plate, but it does not fit as well/as solid as on the RRS tripods.

Check out Diver160651’s thread further down. Actually, there may be 2 threads. His excellent info should answer your questions.

Here is a link the the thread:

I think whatever you are looking at remember a lot of people seem to justify why their purchase is better. Especially misleading are the posters who either don’t fully understand product applications or willfully leave out a key detail. Of course you always also have some saying with product X I can do this amazing feat, when in fact, that too is inflated.

Repost to a response in another thread below:

First not everyone “needs” a tripod.
But a lot of people get them, maybe because they think it is cool, high speed or whatever. If that is the case, weight or even stability and certainly the perfect ratio between them, may not even matter. Shoot enough PRS/NRL matches, some field matches like the Hide Cup or pack for miles hunting, you will value the light weight and highly stable offerings.

Here is the rub. The Ferisol 3372 and RRS TV-33 are stable like the Getzo beast. Maybe because the large series by Getzo, a long standing gold standard was over $1500 and 7.8lbs (before the head) nobody used them..

However, shooting tripods for years, even before the RRS where popular, I have shot off heavy tripods like the Getzo’s top end carbon that weighs exactly the same as the Leofoto 404C. Sure the big Getzo is stable, like the Leofoto, but try kneeling down and moving your gun and Gamechander in one hand, while trying to move the almost (8lbs tripod + the head) by grabbing the bottom of only one of the legs of the deployed tripod, under the clock; it just sucks. I think a lot of people would be surprised that many use the tripods as rear supports far more than as a primary shooting support.

The reasons the RRS and even the Ferisol, are so popular in PRS/NRL/Feild matches, is their low weight to high stability ratio. Take out one of those and the tripod is NOT the same class. 3 extra pounds may not seem like much, but when the tripods are deployed and you need to move them either attached to your gun or when deployed quickly with one hand at the end of a 5+' lever arm it is...

Calling someone a “Fan” boy might just show one’s lack of experience with various tripods. Telling someone to cut the “snobbery” is pathetic when the advice is in context.

A match entry let’s say is $275 some more. You’re going to shoot about 250 rounds or over $300 in ammo, a few nights hotel, Air travel, rental car, fuel, food and take time off work.. it is easy to stack up $3k all in. Struggling with the wrong tripod just doesn’t make sense.. maybe that snobbery you see is actually someone trying to help save someone money.

If someone backs their car/truck up to the shooting area and walks a few hundred feet and thats all they want to do, sure get the heaviest thing available. But if in the future you might compete or pack for a hunt, look at the full picture.