• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

trouble with manners stock and timney trigger???

ker2222

Minuteman
Sep 3, 2004
Hastings, MN
I tried swapping barreled actions into a manners stock with mini-chasis today. The old one had old rem trigger off a 40-x in it and had functioned flawlessly. The new barreled action has a timney trigger in it. The timney trigger breaks at just over 2lbs and the action had functioned fine in its old B&C stock. Unfortunately, when I tighten the action down into the manners stock in must be pinching the trigger somewhere---the safety won't engage, and although the bolt will cycle the trigger "trips" upon closing the bolt. I have tried torque settings everywhere from about 40lbs-65lbs and its the same problem at all settings.

I could use some guidance as to how to diagnose this problem---is it a stock issue, a trigger issue or user error??? lol

A stock clearance issue. Pull the action and you'll probably see where the trigger is binding in the stock. A little bit of file or dremel work and you'll be good to go.

I tried swapping barreled actions into a manners stock with mini-chasis today. The old one had old rem trigger off a 40-x in it and had functioned flawlessly. The new barreled action has a timney trigger in it. The timney trigger breaks at just over 2lbs and the action had functioned fine in its old B&C stock. Unfortunately, when I tighten the action down into the manners stock in must be pinching the trigger somewhere---the safety won't engage, and although the bolt will cycle the trigger "trips" upon closing the bolt. I have tried torque settings everywhere from about 40lbs-65lbs and its the same problem at all settings.

I could use some guidance as to how to diagnose this problem---is it a stock issue, a trigger issue or user error??? lol

Hi ker2222. It sounds like the trigger/safety pin head on the bolt side of the gun is binding on the chassis. We have seen some of the timneys come with a Very large pin head. If you pull the action out I bet you will find a small shinny spot in that area. Is it a 2 stage of standard timnney? Is your chassis a gen 1 or 2? Shoot me a pm and I'll get squared away ASAP. Over the years we have opened up the trigger area of our chassis but still we will have them hit now and then depending on trigger model, just like they will contact m5 or other bottom metals. Thank you

Last edited:
Hi ker2222. It sounds like the trigger/safety pin head on the bolt side of the gun is binding on the chassis. We have seen some of the timneys come with a Very large pin head. If you pull the action out I bet you will find a small shinny spot in that area. Is it a 2 stage of standard timnney? Is your chassis a gen 1 or 2? Shoot me a pm and I'll get squared away ASAP. Over the years we have opened up the trigger area of our chassis but still we will have them hit now and then depending on trigger model, just like they will contact m5 or other bottom metals. Thank you

Just one of many reasons why I buy Manners stocks...they take care of their customers. Posts like this from Tom, on a Sunday evening no less, is just an example of how much effort he and his crew put forth to help solve problems to get shooters "squared away".

Just one of many reasons why I buy Manners stocks...they take care of their customers. Posts like this from Tom, on a Sunday evening no less, is just an example of how much effort he and his crew put forth to help solve problems to get shooters "squared away".

hell yes.

Yep, always get you squared away. Thanks for the great product.

excellent advice from tmanners. I've had to do that on a HS precision stock and McM stock with the same trigger. it will tell you it was worth it for that new timney trigger!

While earlier Manners stocks and Timney CE triggers don't like each other, both companies do like their customers!

I sheared the safety pivot pin off a 2-stage CE clamping it into a Manners T6A with mini chassis. Timney fixed it for free. I dremeled out the trigger well and now all is good. I love my Manners stock!

Another area to look at, is the rear of the trigger body. Mine was coming in contact with the trigger guard rear screw. I shortened the screw, and drilled the top of the insert about 1/16", and all functioned perfectly. Should be an easy fix regardless. Manners are good to go!

DK

I didn't bother reading every response so if this is regurgitated, sorry.

Timney 101:

Actuate the safety out of the stock and look for the little plunger doo hicky thing that moves in/out as you run it. It's almost always the culprit. It'll touch the side of the trigger inlet and jam it up. If you have access to a mill, a plunge cut with a 3/16 EM will solve it easy enough. Work it back/forth hard a few times in the stock and the mark will start to burnish the AL or the core material.

Easy fix.

Does anyone know of any trigger that works without potentially having to mod the mini chassis? Or are all of them prone to need slight fitting?

Does anyone know of any trigger that works without potentially having to mod the mini chassis? Or are all of them prone to need slight fitting?

I mean all have the possibility but most wont. I know for 100% that my trigger tech doesnt interfere with my mini chassis. As Tom said, its not even every timney, just a couple here or there and a bit of filing has the problem whooped.

We have seen some of the timneys come with a Very large pin head.