• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Troy battlesight zeroing question

mhptrooper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2010
I just mounted my Troy BUIS-(DOA tritium type) and I am having trouble with sighting them in--they're mounted on a sabre 20' M16A4 style rifle, 1:7 twist. I've pretty much decided the 62 grain M855 rounds work the best-but I'm having trouble with the zero; it seems to be all over the place!! the groups are ok...for BUIS...anyone have any suggestions/or expeirence with these sights? I'm planning on an ACOG after I get these BUIS set...Thanks!

Re: Troy battlesight zeroing question

What range are you trying to zero at and what type of rest or freehand?

The obvious of course, is to make sure they are properly secured to your rail. If that's good, make sure you're driving her well. If that's good, then try a heavier grain in that 1/7. I zero with a 77 grain, seems to give me the tightest groups. Of course they open up a tad with 62's after, but I'm not looking for anything other than hits out to 350.

If its grouping good, its not the ammo, unless you're changing brands/loads, its probably not loose sights either, but they're easy enough to check, so do it, make sure your front rail doesn't move at all either, make sure the sights lock in the up position fairly solid and the pivot is tight side to side. Oh and make sure the barrel isn't loose, its happened before.

If you get it zeroed and next time/group you shoot its off, its probably you, consistent sight alignment takes repitition. A good distinct contrasting aiming point helps me dramatically when shooting irons for best accuracy at distance.

Are you unable to intially zero? Chasing adjustments? Do you have experience adjusting AR/M16 sights? They're so simple I've seen people over think them when adjusting. Most have very course adjustments, they are battlesights after all, 1/2 or 1 MOA is pretty common, when your brain is dialed to 1/4 or smaller from using scopes its easy to go to far.
Good luck, let us know what you find.

thank you all for your input! They are secured in place...maybe I'm asking too much for a set of BUIS-I'm using a 25 meter military target. I used this same setup in the Army; and never had any trouble-thanks for the help; I'll keep working with it...this site has always been MORE than helpful!

Okay, so you're using the M16A2 zero target. Well, that says a lot, since they are based upon the A2 sighting system. Doesn't that zero silohuete simliate 300 meters, at 25? Pretty sure it does. Do this. Set up target at 50 yards, slap a big shoot and c on it, and zero. The adjustments on that zero target are gonna be too rough. Zero at 50, get a good group as close to center, then rock it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question...a "big shoot and c" what's that? I'll give it a try! thanks again...

I bought one of those sights and it was out of spec as far as fitting my receiver. Couldn't get it to tighten down properly. The large DOA aperture is fast up close, but not much else. Try zeroing it with the small aperture.

roger-I found the "shoot and c" targets...& I'll try the other apature...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mhptrooper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just mounted my Troy BUIS-(DOA tritium type) and I am having trouble with sighting them in--they're mounted on a sabre 20' M16A4 style rifle, 1:7 twist. I've pretty much decided the 62 grain M855 rounds work the best-but I'm having trouble with the zero; it seems to be all over the place!! the groups are ok...for BUIS...anyone have any suggestions/or expeirence with these sights? I'm planning on an ACOG after I get these BUIS set...Thanks! </div></div>
I have the same BUIS and if you practice on shooting the sight right(keeping it zeroed with the post) then you should be able to keep 2 inch groups easy. I have shot steel with mine out to five hundred. Great irons for competition.