• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Truck bedliner question

Remsen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2006
Northern California (occupied)
Just got a new truck and am torn between a drop in bedliner (which I had in the last truck and which worked fine for me) and a Line-X spray in liner. Anyone have strong opinions on whether the spray in is worth the extra $200? I don't use the truck for heavy loads, just for hunting, dump runs, furniture moving, etc.

Re: Truck bedliner question

My vote is for Line-X also. Very happy with it in my truck.You will like it alot better than the inserts.

+1 spray on versus drop in. I went Line-X too when I bought my truck (used). The bed was scratched and dented and after the Line-X, you really wouldn't have known unless you looke really close. Had the top rails done too, worth it IMO. Rhino Lining is another similar product. Both now offer colors to closely match the color of the vehicle, where that wasn't available with more options that red or black when I got mine done. Different thickness is also an option so do a little homework and get what will suit your needs best. The drop ins will scrath your bed up and provide an excellent environment for rust to breed, over time. The spray ons will not move around and will protect your bed much better than any drop in and do so for the life of the bed (regardless of what eventually happens to the truck it's attached to).

Line-X. Both my Co. truck and personal truck have it. The lifetime, nationwide guarantee is another good thing. If you manage to scratch through it, truck is wrecked and cracks it, etc. they'll fix it. IMO, the sprayed on liner looks a lot better too. The color choices aren't bad but I prefer the plain black.

Another thing I like was that before spraying my truck, they removed the access panel for the tailgate handle and the tie downs. Plugged the holes and held the panel in place with magnets and then sprayed. The truck was new but one of these days if the handle or mechanism breaks it is still accessible. +1 on spraying the top of the bed rails. The overlap on the side of the bed gives just enough surface to lean something against the truck w/o scratching the paint.

The only downside I've found to the sprayed on liner is heavy items will not slide as easy as on plastic. When your driving this is a good thing but it does make loading and unloading a little tougher. I found out when hauling about ten railroad ties. Loading them wasn't too bad b/c I had help and a forklift. Unloading by myself was a whole other ballgame...

I like the drop-ins.
Just put a good coat of wax on the bed before installing.
I also cover the tie-down holes with duct tape when hauling mulch or other materials that can get in there.

The inserts have worked fine for me over the years in 4 different trucks. I haul my tools and equipment, but no dead bodies as yet, so they have served me well!

Line X, got it in my truck after having a slip in bed liner, Line X is by far superior

I have had drop-ins, Line-X, Rhino, and what ever the heck my current truck came with. The one Line-X I had started peeling about 6 months after I had it. I used it very hard and was satisfied until it began to peel, I managed to gouge it with some metal I threw in the back of the truck and it let air/water/other contaminants under the liner and it spread. Since I bought the truck from the dealer and they had it installed by Linex I could not used their "lifetime" warranty because it only applies to the person who bought it. I am guessing that they charged the dealer less because they knew they could get away with doing a crappier job and not have to worry about warranty. They put their pretty little Line-X plate int heir with the store number on it and then forgot about it.
The Rhino I had was awesome I beat the piss out of it and it never released or bubbled. It was much thicker than the Line-X, almost twice as thick. I don't know if they still exist.
The drop ins have always held up well but they did always rub all the paint off under them from the constant shifting and vibrating going down the road. If you were to use a do-it yourself paint on kit and then put your drop in over it that might last longer.
The current one I have (no idea whose) is the best I have seen. It has more rubbery of a texture to it and is almost as thick as the Rhino was. I have once again used it for what it is, a truck bed, and haven't been able to do anything to phase it in the past year. I talked to a few different companies and they all say that they haven't seen anything like it and that it is definitely a hot application, which is why it is so rubbery.

Hope this helps

Our 4x4 Dak is done with Sprayliner. Over the rails, over the tailgate rail, and inside the doorjambs up to the trim line. The bottom of the truck body is also coated up to the lower trim line. All for $850 when we got it done. Plastic bedliners are 'wack' yo
grin.gif

The stuff works killer, and is easy to clean too. You can make out the line under the cap along the rail, and see the stuff on the lower sides where it also goes into the doorjamb areas

muddytruck.jpg

Not only does a drop in liner abrade the crap out of your bed but it also traps water.

I've seen mixed results from spray in liners but like Duracoat, preperation is everything.

I took the same route as fpdsniper and got a Bedrug installed. 5 years and no problems to date.

bed liner if you want resale value. Before you sell you just pull the bedliner out for a nice clean bed as long as it did not slip around taking paint off. If you will use it spray it. If you want it to look more custom or nice spray it. You can get all kind of different colors and textures now.
CJS10mm if you were local I would get you covered on your liner. Technically you did buy that liner new because YOU PAID THE TAX! the dealership did not as it was a resale and they I am sure used a resale license. I would call or talk to the Corp and it should be covered.

I have two dodge trucks, One has a spray in liner and one has a dodge drop in liner. I by far like the spray in better. Nothing gets trapped, mostly watter under the spray in liner. I took the drop in liner out of my truck not that long ago, and the whole thing had light surface rust, dirt, mud mulch and other things under it that I had hauled. I have the plugs for the holes for the tow hooks, but they pop out, you loose them, and its harder to use the hooks with the drop in. I will always get a spray in liner from now on. But it is very true things don't slide well on the spray in liner, good and bad, depends on what you want to do with it.

By the way, the only bad thing about the spray in liner I have experienced is that diesel fuel will soften it up and make it sticky. No problems with gas, but I did spill diesel on it once and then got this black tar like stuff on a bunch of things. Just my opinion

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CJS10mm</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Since I bought the truck from the dealer and they had it installed by Linex I could not used their "lifetime" warranty because it only applies to the person who bought it. I am guessing that they charged the dealer less because they knew they could get away with doing a crappier job and not have to worry about warranty. They put their pretty little Line-X plate int heir with the store number on it and then forgot about it.
</div></div>

My son had the "dealer" install his "LineX" and it started to peel in less than a week. When we held the dealers feet to the fire (hard) it turns out that it wasn't actually LineX at all but something that was supposed to be just as good. We pitched a fit until they refunded his money in full then we tore out the fake liner and brought it to a certified LineX shop and got the real deal. If the dealers weren’t such crooks they would have a certified LineX shop do the job and then it would carry their nationwide guarantee.

The Mechanic, thanks for the advice but it's water under the bridge now and that truck got totalled about 3 years ago. Fortunately I know now never to do business with that dealer.

I have a Bed Rug. Rarely haul anything but guns and gear.