• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Truck tires

bobke

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 17, 2010
    Hill Country, Texas
    Have a new to me low mileage 2015 GMC Sierra 4x4 that came with Goodyear Wrangler SR/A’s that I am wholly unimpressed with. Slicker than shit in anything from a mist on. Commute 115-120 miles a day, but do need something off road worthy to get to back of ranch to shooting range. Are 275/55-20, willing to go wider, maybe taller, but don’t want to kill mileage with heavy LT’s, unless they can tick all the boxes. Figure this being a truck crowd, and likely some in the same commuting rut, there’d be solid recommendations from the crew. All ears. Thx.

I have Falken Wildpeak AT3/w on my 2012 F150 4x4. in 285/70R17 and love them.

I've had the set for 60k miles and still plenty of tread. Great in mud, snow, dirt and street. So far I'd say comparable or better to BFG AT/KO2 in terms of overall performance.

I burned through 2 sets of BFG's in less then 40k each, good tire but expensive and don't last. The Falkens were about 30% cheaper and so far have lasted more than 2x as long. I think they offer most sizes in LT or P rated tires. I went with the LT's.

Toyo Open County AT II I am on 4th set. New truck came with GY Duratrac which are a bit more aggressive and have been good so far but only 5K miles on them so not sure of longevity of them. My BF's on my Jeep are wearing out very fast not impressed with tread life they will be replaced with Toyo Open County MT or DuraTrac (if they prove durable).

last set were these. I liked them a lot.
    https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=fierce+attitude+mt

current set are these. They are loud as fuck on the highway, and they seem to be wearing faster than the fierce.
    https://www.google.com/search?clien...gws-wiz.....6..0i71j35i39j0j0i131.HYmOqRhm018

You did not state if you are a 1500/2500/3500. previously the BFG's in the size I run were load range D, which is not good for a F350 with diesel, would get a weird shimmy at times. The newer KO2's are load range E so I might try those again.

The BFG will probably be better in snow/ice than the mud tires I have above, but with lockers front and rear I have yet to feel out of control in any situation I have encountered. I have been in 2 situtations where the truck was going just great but conditions were getting worse not better, I was all alone 150 miles from nearest town so I stopped/gave up before the tires/truck did.

I have Falken Wildpeak AT3/w on my 2012 F150 4x4. in 285/70R17 and love them.

I've had the set for 60k miles and still plenty of tread. Great in mud, snow, dirt and street. So far I'd say comparable or better to BFG AT/KO2 in terms of overall performance.

I burned through 2 sets of BFG's in less then 40k each, good tire but expensive and don't last. The Falkens were about 30% cheaper and so far have lasted more than 2x as long. I think they offer most sizes in LT or P rated tires. I went with the LT's.
    I will have to look at those. For a road tire only I don't expect or want a a super long tread life, I like traction. But damn it I hate it when my off road tires are worn 1/2 the hell out getting to the "off road" part of my adventure.

Last edited:
    My '14 chevy came with goodyears. They sucked in anything more than light snow. Went to the KO2's and could not be happier. Rain, snow, mud, sand, it doesn't matter. There is a noticeable increase in noise though. They don't howl like mudders, but aren't silent.
    20170527_143500 (1).jpg

I had the same experience with the Wranglers. Slicker than owl shit and it gets worse as they age and the rubber gets harder. I went with Michelin LTX's and was very happy with them. From the above posts, it sounds like the best choice may be "anything but Wranglers"

Yep. I have E rated KO2's on my xterra. A bit of overkill, but light years better than the passenger tires it came with. Can't argue with triple ply sidewalls.

Reactions: crackerbrown
    I have had Cooper Zenons, GY Duratracs, GY Wranglers, Toyo Open country, and BFG T/A KO2 on my last two full size PU's. I have had issues with all but the BFG T/A KO2. Coopers couldn't hold air after 25k miles, duratracs wore out quickly (36k miles), Toyo wore out quickly (38k miles), Wranglers came on mine stock and were terrible in all conditions for Michigan driving other than dry and only lasted 36k miles.

I am an avid snowmobiler, hunter, and general off roader on the fire trails when hunting. The BFG T/A KO2 were the best for me. I do not have much time dealing with sand on these tires, but mud, snow and dirt were no problem. The only downside is that they need to be rotated often per the sales people, when I got a lazy about it on my last set, they developed a pull that would change when I would rotate them (Shifted belts?). I got 80k miles out of my last set and just started a new set two months ago.

Yep. I have E rated KO2's on my xterra. A bit of overkill, but light years better than the passenger tires it came with. Can't argue with triple ply sidewalls.

Same here, I always run E rated tires no matter what. I got my rears loaded up to 80psi because I just did two hauls and will do another one shortly. I go E also because more plies means they can withstand more to thorns when I'm off roading!

My Hankook Dynamopro MTs work great on/off road. I've run over shit I was sure was gonna pop 'em, but didn't. Not slick at all when it's wet, and they ride good, too. Fairly inexpensive as well. I think I'm gonna stick with them. I've got > 50k miles on a set over 4 years or so and am just now considering getting another because tread is at ~40%.

Truck is a 1500. Current mileage runs right around 19-20.5. For you all running KO2’s, did your mileage drop a bunch or stay near original? Have tuned fuel, K&N and transmission shifting, all for the better. Trying for best compromise performance from both truck and tires, w/o hitting commuting mileage too hard.

I’ve run the BFG ko2’s on my truck multiple times they are also on my jeep. On my f-250 which is fairly loaded down as I have a crossbox, side boxes and a Packrat in the bed, it’s running 35’s I put anywhere from 60-80k miles a year on I usually get about 70k on the tires, my truck has just over 408000k on the odometer, they work good for me there not noisey on the road they roll smooth and do well on all the lease roads and beat up back roads I travel daily doing service on drilling rigs

I didn't notice much of a drop maybe 0.5 mpg. But the Xterra gets terrible fuel economy to start with.

Truck is a 1500. Current mileage runs right around 19-20.5. For you all running KO2’s, did your mileage drop a bunch or stay near original? Have tuned fuel, K&N and transmission shifting, all for the better. Trying for best compromise performance from both truck and tires, w/o hitting commuting mileage too hard.
    My truck didn’t really change as far as mileage but it is a diesel and it’s deleted, my jeep didn’t really change much either other than it’s a little more sluggish from stepping up to 35’s but it’s getting re geared next week

I did not see a significant change in mpg with KO2's. When I added a 2" leveling kit to the frontend mileage was impacted though.

I’m running Goodyear duratrac on my 14 gmc, been a great tire so far and have about 30k on them. Awesome traction in the snow and mud. They have held up good during deer and elk season. Can’t really complain about them.
    I’ve run many sets of Duratrac tires. Best all around tire I’ve found when a truck needs to be capable off the pavement. They look aggressive but aren’t as loud as you would think. They wear well and last. Went through 3 sets on my Excursion alone. I even have them on my Dually.

With that kind of daily road use I wouldn’t look at anything but the toyo at’s. I run them on my superduty and ass long as you don’t try to do a mug bog you’ll be okay. Not the greatest in the snow. I had a set of coopers st maxx on my last truck but they went bald at around 45k. Ive ran nittos on my half ton but won’t put them on a diesel. As long as you get a 10 ply you’ll be ok as long as you don’t go cheap Overseas mud tire like what’s all over eBay.

It’s the near absence of traction in light rain/greasy/muddy roads that’s brought an ‘oh shit’ moment or two. Same exact experience for a buddy with Hemi Dodge PU, as well. Am all about confidence when on the road, instilled with AWD Touareg diesel that I cannot break loose.

My 08 GMC Sierra came with Bridgestone Duelers that I got right at 70k miles out of. Replaced those with Nitto Terra Grappler's that currently have 70k on them and will likely last another 5k-10k. The Nitto's are awesome in mud, snow/ice and are quieter going down the highway than the Dueler's were.

I have Nitto Ridge Grappler 35x12.5R18LT on my Ram and they are quiet on the highway and rated to 80psi, and I have them aired down to 45psi right now and they are gripping well in this muddy/snowy weather we have been having for weeks. Pulled two of my neighbors 4x4's out of snow drifts yesterday.

I have had 2 sets of the Cooper AT3. Very pleased with them for the price I haven't found anything better. The last set of Cooper AT3's I had I put over 70k miles on them. They were worn to tread wear bars but they were still going. I do a lot of interstate driving too.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
    Duratracs are the best traction wise with the exception of wet pavement. They don't like ample power and moist concrete. They're heavy and difficult to balance. And seem to get hard about ½ through their service life. Noisy too. They are by far the most durable sidewall wise and stand up well to abuse. Best for hard use/offroad/snow. I would pass unless you want the BEST offroad tire.

Cooper AT3 are not too bad. A bit lighter than the Duratracs but balance better. Traction doesn't touch the Duratracs in any area. But do well day to day and in mud and snow and dirt. Not as noisy as the Duratracs but like most tires, tend to get noisier over time and right after a rotation. These are what I have on my Tacoma currently and would recommend.

Wrangler Kevlar. There are too many Wrangler tires to lump them all together. The Duratracs are part of the Wrangler family. The Kevlars were OK. They were light and spun up fast. Drove well. Didn't really get to test their off road/snow abilities. I would pass, which we did.

Wrangler. Trailrunner AT is what I ended up putting on my wife's 4Runner Trail/Offroad. So far they are great. Good in snow and ice. Good on highway with great on road feel. Quiet too. I might end up with a set of these for my Tacoma. I've been searching for the Goldilocks of aggressive offload worthy tires. These might be them. Although I'd like to try a set of BFG AT/KO but they are pricey and heavy. Great reviews though.

Edit: I was able to try some BFG AT/KOs that came with a set of wheels I bought. I didn't like them at all. But they were at the very end of service life and is not a fair comparison. And why I've hesitated to buy a set.

Last edited:
    Ahhhh...the crux of the apostrophe! Really appreciate all of the input, has given me some homework to do.

Last edited:
    Duratracs are the best traction wise with the exception of wet pavement. They don't like ample power and moist concrete. They're heavy and difficult to balance. And seem to get hard about ½ through their service life. Noisy too. They are by far the most durable sidewall wise and stand up well to abuse. Best for hard use/offroad/snow. I would pass unless you want the BEST offroad tire.

Cooper AT3 are not too bad. A bit lighter than the Duratracs but balance better. Traction doesn't touch the Duratracs in any area. But do well day to day and in mud and snow and dirt. Not as noisy as the Duratracs but like most tires, tend to get noisier over time and right after a rotation. These are what I have on my Tacoma currently and would recommend.

Wrangler Kevlar. There are too many Wrangler tires to lump them all together. The Duratracs are part of the Wrangler family. The Kevlars were OK. They were light and spun up fast. Drove well. Didn't really get to test their off road/snow abilities. I would pass, which we did.

Wrangler. Trailrunner AT is what I ended up putting on my wife's 4Runner Trail/Offroad. So far they are great. Good in snow and ice. Good on highway with great on road feel. Quiet too. I might end up with a set of these for my Tacoma. I've been searching for the Goldilocks of aggressive offload worthy tires. These might be them. Although I'd like to try a set of BFG AT/KO but they are pricey and heavy. Great reviews though.

Edit: I was able to try some BFG AT/KOs that came with a set of wheels I bought. I didn't like them at all. But they were at the very end of service life and is not a fair comparison. And why I've hesitated to buy a set.
    I’ve only had 1 out of 30 Duratracs be a problem to balance.

They can get squirrelly on wet pavement if you’re really getting on it

I am running Pro Comp A/T Sport on my 2500HD longbed. The will spin on wet roads with little effort but do well in the snow and mud. 60k tread wear mileage warranty, quite for a 35" tire. No idea how well they would do on a pint size 1500, but may be worth a look.

Cooper AT3 E rated, or anything Michelin. Buying tires can seem too pricey, but I learned to bite the bullet and pay the piper. It's like buying Wal Mart brand paper towels vs Bounty. Sure, the in house brand works, lasts, and is cost effective; but the top shelf product works BETTER, lasts LONGER, and more often than not, nicer tires just plain look better. Wheels and tires are that aesthetical piece that can make or break a vehicles appearance. Sometimes tires alone, do the trick

I’ve run many sets of Duratrac tires. Best all around tire I’ve found when a truck needs to be capable off the pavement. They look aggressive but aren’t as loud as you would think. They wear well and last. Went through 3 sets on my Excursion alone. I even have them on my Dually.

I run Duratracs on my JKU. Love 'em. This is my second set. Quiet, aggressive, good in snow/rain. I get em at DiscountTireDirect. Local tire stores can't come close pricewise. YAY

Reactions: Geno C.