• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Truck Tires

The BFG KOs lasted forever on my Jeep, but it was not a heavy vehicle. I've had good luck with the Michelin LTX, as above, but they got hard and noisy, after 35,000 miles. I'm running the second set of Yokahama Geolandar A/T G015s, on my F150. They are grippy and have good tread wear, for less money than many others in their class. They performed very well in snow and ice, especially, in 4wd. I don't know how they would do in any kind of mud. They are good for the money, if you are mostly on road.

Reactions: missed
I narrowed it down to the Cooper AT3-4s or Hankook Dynapro ATM. The Generals and BF Goodrich options are just too aggressive for my needs. Will these Coopers or Hankook "light truck tires" make my expedition sit taller? I barely fit in my garage as is. If they raise my height more than an inch I wont fit

Reactions: diverdon
Compare Overall Dia that to what you currently have. It should be listed in specs.

Reactions: Kamerad
My 2018 Ford Expedition Max needs some new rubber. Ive used Cooper AT3s, Bridgestone Duelers, Michelins on my prior Tahoes and honestly they all wore horribly and were loud as fuck on the highway. My buddy swears by Hankook ATMs on his trucks. And when I ride with him they do seem to be quiet and ride nice. But this fucking expedition is huge and heavy. Any recommendations on a good set of tires?
I like to research the tire weight and load capacity. I ended up with General Grabbers for my truck. They turned out to be a huge improvement over the Michelin’s they replaced.

You should decide if you need a LT vs P tire. Passenger tires can’t carry as much weight but they ride better on an unloaded vehicle. They are also much lighter and you’ll feel improved pickup.

I think part of the reason my Expedition Max tore through these factory Toyo Open Country’s is because the vehicle weighs so much. It came with P rated tires. I’m hoping that LT rated tires will last a little longer.

If you'd like something toward the more manly end of the spectrum consider the BF Goodrich TA K02. Aggressive tread. I've not found the noise to be excessive. I like how they handle. Treadlife is good.
Had K02’s on my f350... they chunked out like a mother fucker after 10k miles... I’ll never buy another set, even though I like how they look.

I had an Expedition that ate GY Wranglers for lunch. I replaced those with BFG Long Trail and had much better tire life and wear patterns.

Had K02’s on my f350... they chunked out like a mother fucker after 10k miles... I’ll never buy another set, even though I like how they look.
Sorry about that. Mine still seem good. Though I've only got about 10k, my brother got over 40k on his Raptor and they were still legal when he changed them out.

Last edited:
My 2018 Ford Expedition Max needs some new rubber. Ive used Cooper AT3s, Bridgestone Duelers, Michelins on my prior Tahoes and honestly they all wore horribly and were loud as fuck on the highway. My buddy swears by Hankook ATMs on his trucks. And when I ride with him they do seem to be quiet and ride nice. But this fucking expedition is huge and heavy. Any recommendations on a good set of tires?

I've run a lot of tires looking for the one. Duratracs, BFGs, Goodyear Kevlar ATs, Cooper ATs, and some others. All had their good and bad. None of those really suck for what they are. Of those listed, I preferred the Cooper ATs by quite a bit.

But I decided to try out the new Pirelli AT Plus due to the really good, but few, reviews on TireRack. Especially hit on key words like quiet. Best AT I've run so far. And still quiet. I can't really say anything bad either. Except I haven't 'fully' tested them or had them long enough to give a complete review. But thus far they are quiet, handle great in all conditions, and stay balanced and straight. They were competitively priced compared to the above and IMO look great.

Someone explain this to me because I can’t figure it the fuck out.

Hankook Dynapro AT2 comes in two versions for my truck.

275-55-20 : 4ply : 113 load rating

LT275-55-20 : 8ply : 112 load rating

why the fuck does the 4 ply have a higher load rating than the 8 ply? The 4ply handles a total of 10,000lbs while the 8ply is around 9300lbs give or take

I narrowed it down to the Cooper AT3-4s or Hankook Dynapro ATM. The Generals and BF Goodrich options are just too aggressive for my needs. Will these Coopers or Hankook "light truck tires" make my expedition sit taller? I barely fit in my garage as is. If they raise my height more than an inch I wont fit
I had the Dynapro ATMs on my last truck they honestly weren't bad but they were loud. Once they hit the 35k mark they sounded like a dub step concert, not matter the rotation or alignment.

We now have a set on the wife's pickup. They have 80k miles, we'll probably replace them this fall but I think we have another winter. Hers have been sounding like a dubstep concert since 60k.

Reactions: 260284

why the fuck does the 4 ply have a higher load rating than the 8 ply? The 4ply handles a total of 10,000lbs while the 8ply is around 9300lbs give or take
not a 10 ply so who gives a fuck
and 20 inch tires are faggy

• Haha
Reactions: MtnCreek
For a civilized ride and mostly paved surface use I run LTX MS. Really quiet for us, good in snow and smooth and handle well on the road. Not horrible on dirt either. For an all around on and off road tire I love the Cooper st Maxx. Super durable, almost a MT in off road performance and still good in snow and half way civilized for highway driving. For inbetween I’ve been happy with toyo at3s.

Reactions: Jigstick
I saw this post last year:

Guys from Wyo run Toyo AT or MT tires. End of discussion.

Since then, I don't even bother to research tires. I just look to see what guys from Wyo run. I haven't discussed tires since.

Last edited:
BFG KO2s went 60k+ on my Silverado. They started life very quiet, but by the end they were loud as fuck. Not really the loud you expect from a really aggressive tire, but the whine you get from about to let go. All were fine- if worn- when I replaced them, but highway driving have me a headache. New set of KO2s are on the pickup now.

I don’t do burnouts, am easy on the gas in general, and it is a 2wd pickup- so that probably something to do with the longevity of the tires.

On tire rack the LT tire shows a higher load rating, 2680 lbs per.

On tire rack the LT tire shows a higher load rating, 2680 lbs per.
That my be the case, but Hankook's own site lists the LT with a load index of 112 and the passenger with a load index of 113. That puts the 8 ply tire with a lower load index than the 4 ply...

One would need to ask Hankook as to the apparent discrepancy.

Reactions: wh20crazy

Typos.

They are a very long lasting tire. They cup, they're loud, and they have shit traction.... but they wear well.

The Michelin ltx is the best long lasting mild noise at I've found. It also costs 2x what I pay for Toyos.

An update on the Toyo AT3. After about 1500 miles they completely stopped tread squirm. Handle great now, and after a Montana winter I can say they're 1000x better than the Hankook ATM on snow and ice.

I’ve got Falken wild peak at3 on my SRW f350 work truck 10-15 k miles they’ve been great so far ride good, quite, look good, perform well off-road for an AT but don’t expect mud tire performance

IDK, but I'm on my 3rd set of Cooper HT3's. I hate road noise and for me they have served me really good.
They're on my F350. I run 80 psi. My 1st set I was towing right at 16,000 boat& trailer.
Boats gone but still running Coopers.
Not AT's and I spend lots of miles running dirt and gravel roads.
I just carry chains for occasional use.
Did I say I hate road noise?

I have the Cooper AT3 on my F350 dually, just got a new set. Last set went 60k. They had another 10k in them, but there are a bunch of trips the rest of this year dragging the trailer around so I didn't want to dick with it.

I always get retreads from TreadWright.com. I have been using them for years and they work great and always a good price.

I’ve got Falken wild peak at3 on my SRW f350 work truck 10-15 k miles they’ve been great so far ride good, quite, look good, perform well off-road for an AT but don’t expect mud tire performance
Man, I just put a set of those on because there were no BFG T/A available... I hate them, feels like there's no sidewall. Squishy. Maybe I'll up the PSI.

They are quiet though.

The company has been insisting on Hancock ATM's for years.
They wear like iron, because they're made of iron.

Haven't had a single set that wore even, and traction is abysmal. I generally lose the sidewalls well before the tread is gone. Repeated blow-outs at 75-80mph and the office still thinks they're "the best thing we can buy", which actually means "the cheapest shit

I have a set of bfg's that were donated to flower planters, as they're more useful there. I've never been stuck so much in my life.

They may look aggressive, but they don't handle mud and snow worth a shit. They're great on dry dirt and gravel.
That's odd. I live in the lake effect snow belt South of Buffalo. I think I've probably driven in more snow than most ever will, and I think they Handel very well. As a matter of fact they are rated for mud and snow with the three peaks symbol.

20210710_192353.jpg

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
That's odd. I live in the lake effect snow belt South of Buffalo. I think I've probably driven in more snow than most ever will, and I think they Handel very well. As a matter of fact they are rated for mud and snow with the three peaks symbol.

View attachment 7665629
I thought my Dynapro ARMS were bad in snow... they are better than my KO2s in snow.

I commuted between North Idaho and Eastern MT a lot in the winter to visit my parents. The Hankooks did pretty good, never once felt uncomfortable. I also rarely ran weight in the bed. Made the same trip 2 years ago with my KO2s and lost control on the interstate 4 times that day.. going 40 mph. Getting passed by every single other vehicle on the road. I also picked up 400 lbs of sand bags that day after the first 2 incidents.

I thought my Dynapro ARMS were bad in snow... they are better than my KO2s in snow.

I commuted between North Idaho and Eastern MT a lot in the winter to visit my parents. The Hankooks did pretty good, never once felt uncomfortable. I also rarely ran weight in the bed. Made the same trip 2 years ago with my KO2s and lost control on the interstate 4 times that day.. going 40 mph. Getting passed by every single other vehicle on the road. I also picked up 400 lbs of sand bags that day after the first 2 incidents.
When conditions are bad I've noticed several of the very few who pass me embedded in the snow bank within a few miles. I do not drive 40 MPH. Your experience is what it is. Mind is different and based on actual driving in snow.

Ju
If you'd like something toward the more manly end of the spectrum consider the BF Goodrich TA K02. Aggressive tread. I've not found the noise to be excessive. I like how they handle. Treadlife is good.
+1 put put these on my Ranger, About 500 miles so far and they are quiet and have good traction so far.
The down side is my driveway is gravel and they pickup the odd stone and will toss it out at highway speeds. Not a problem if you arent worried about your paint.

I have Hancock atm on my wife’s frontier and Cooper at3 on my xj both good tires for small trucks but won’t last on a heavy rig. Toyo open country’s didn’t wear well on my full-size Tahoe. I run Firestone destination at 10 ply on my work truck, a3/4 ton dodge they have wore the best out of all the tires I’ve tried. I also manage a fleet of 12 1/2 ton rams and have tried almost every tire and go back to the Firestones

When conditions are bad I've noticed several of the very few who pass me embedded in the snow bank within a few miles. I do not drive 40 MPH. Your experience is what it is. Mind is different and based on actual driving in snow.
lol ok. you are correct you are the only person in the us driving in a lot of snow.

lol ok. you are correct you are the only person in the us driving in a lot of snow.
How you're gonna be that's up to you, I'm not telling you or any one else what tire to buy. But the opinions I've shared are based on actual experience.

I've been running the Cooper ST Maxx on a 1993 dodge w350. Been really happy so far. But the truck is loud and rough as f**k so what do I know.

View attachment 7665629

Lake effect, so heavy and wet?

We get frozen blowing snow, with solid ice underneath. Fluffy stuff that comes down when it's 0*. I have pushed snow with my hood for 45 miles down the highway because the plows weren't out yet. Speed was limited by the visibility of how much snow was coming over the truck vs around it.

Two totally different traction bases.

Symbols on a tire don't mean shit outside of the test lab. That's a minimum, but gives you zero clue as to the useful traction available across all snow conditions.
I run studded ipikes or general arctic for the majority of winter, because I'm always on shit roads and you can't snowmobile without being in the weather.
The A/T's only get used for the freak storms early or late season (we went from 70* and sunny for a month to 15" of snow overnight and 20* for a week this spring).

My coworker has been buying BFG's since he bought his 03 new, thought they were the best thing ever. Tried the Falkon wild peak because the tire shop couldn't get the bfg's in time, and now he's questioning why he spent so much on the bfg's for the last 350k miles. Falkons were way cheaper and he loves them.

Lake effect, so heavy and wet?

We get frozen blowing snow, with solid ice underneath. Fluffy stuff that comes down when it's 0*. I have pushed snow with my hood for 45 miles down the highway because the plows weren't out yet. Speed was limited by the visibility of how much snow was coming over the truck vs around it.

Two totally different traction bases.

Symbols on a tire don't mean shit outside of the test lab. That's a minimum, but gives you zero clue as to the useful traction available across all snow conditions.
I run studded ipikes or general arctic for the majority of winter, because I'm always on shit roads and you can't snowmobile without being in the weather.
The A/T's only get used for the freak storms early or late season (we went from 70* and sunny for a month to 15" of snow overnight and 20* for a week this spring).

My coworker has been buying BFG's since he bought his 03 new, thought they were the best thing ever. Tried the Falkon wild peak because the tire shop couldn't get the bfg's in time, and now he's questioning why he spent so much on the bfg's for the last 350k miles. Falkons were way cheaper and he loves them.
It's not that simple. Lake effect can be heavy and wet, but it can be anything else too, it depends on the weather. Further lake effect is just one source, you get all the other snow that moves through the area.

As I have not tried these other tires I'm not going to try to compare them.

It's not that simple. Lake effect can be heavy and wet, but it can be anything else too, it depends on the weather. Further lake effect is just one source, you get all the other snow that moves through the area.

As I have not tried these other tires I'm not going to try to compare them.

I just looked at my tires since I was putting away my new spare after shredding one last weekend (note to self, check tire pressure and don't assume that the 30mph winds are what's moving the camper).

IMG_20210712_210723946.jpg

They still have no comparison to studded snows in the ice and snow. That little symbol gives people far too much false security.

Anybody running the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain?

Reviews on discount tire look pretty good.

And I’ve heard they are good in the snow.

continental contact tires.
Run them on my Yukon XL almost 0 tire noise.
Occasionally tow my 24’ center console short distances with it and they work fine.
For longer distances I tow with a 7.3 E350 running 8 ply Michelin LTXs.

fWIW I went with Hankook Dynapro ATMs on my expedition. And so far their snow / slush / ice performance has been great here in western PA.

Has anyone run Cooper st Maxx or nitto ridge grapplers on a dually? Been eyeing these two in 255/80r17 wondering if they would hold up towing

I run duratracks on my pickups and the falkin at3 on the wife’s Yukon. We have 10 miles of gravel and 20 ish miles of pavement to town. The falkin at3 have held up the best so far. I have run Toyos,Coopers, and Michelin on that Yukon and haven’t been happy with any of them.

For a good set of tires for your 2018 Ford Expedition Max that can offer a quieter ride and better durability, personally i like the Continental CrossContact LX25. This tire is well known for exceptional comfort and reduced road noise, providing a smoother and quieter driving experience on the highway. If you want more options then check these tires also https://www.corwheels.com/best-truck-tires/.
I can’t say much about the Defenders but I have had Michelin LTX AT2’s on my last three trucks. Last set had 180k+ kilometres on them.