• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater True Grit

Re: True Grit

I saw the movie last night and I personally thought it was as good or better than the original. I am a big John Wayne fan but this movie was the best remake movie I have seen. I liked that they took the story from Matty Ross's point of view as opposed to Rooster Cogburn in the original. I will get the DVD when it comes out as it is a movie that I could watch once a year and still be entertained.

Saw it tonight. It was a good movie. Not great, not bad. Dialogue was a bit over the top, but other than that it was good. Haven't seen the original nor read the book, so I can't compare. However, I imagine it was worse than the first movie. It was a little slow at times, but worth watching.

I watched it last night. If the Coen brothers wanted a truer retelling of the Portis novel, they should have hired a full cast with the chops to pull off the quaint Victorian-era dialect. Bridges stumbles over the folksy cadence only occasionally but Damon performs a feat I'd have thought impossible if I hadn't seen it myself: he is an even worse Ranger La Boeuf than Glen Campbell. Brolin was pretty awful, too. Both proved that their acting prowess doesn't extend very far past their natural personality. Practically every line either spoke sounded contrived and unnatural.

Barry Pepper did a much more commendable job but I kept thinking I was looking at and listening to Harry Dean Stanton. Harry has fallen to B List status (if he ever was an A-Lister) and probably would have cost a lot less so I'm puzzled why they'd have hired a high-priced impersonator instead of the real thing.

Hailee Steinfeld did a very even job with the awkward dialogue but from the look of her -- especially in the horse trading scene -- I'd have thought she was moonlighting from the set of The Addams Family.

But I'm happy they took measures to defy comparison to the original, especially the ending. The original has the typically heroic JW happily-ever-after tra-la ending but there's not a hint of that in the remake, which ends on every bit as dark and somber a note as the novel.

A friend told me his teenager did not like it, mom and dad loved it.

Watched it a few nights ago and enjoyed it. I agree that 95% follows the classic. And they only left out one really good line from the J. Wayne version {the one about shooting Pepper in the upper lip}. Bridges did a great job and brought some of his own to it- althought he could have toned the voice down a bit. Matti was great, she didn't rub me quite like the original Matti. Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper kicked ass! Its worth it and I suggest the big screen. Got to enjoy the few westerns we get on the big screen.

I took my grandma to it a few nights ago. We both enjoyed it. I never saw the John Wayne version or read the book. I also liked Barry Pepper in this. I thought Matt Damon was mediocre.

1+ Couldn't say it any better.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: strangedays</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The original is one of my favorite movies of all time so this comes with as a bittersweet type news. I just hope they don't screw it up. I like to leave the classics just that. Imagine if they redid Full Metel Jacket do you think it could in any way have the same feel and be any good? I am however a huge fan of most of their movies so they should make it good. JMHO </div></div>

Here is my review of the new True Grit...Didn't see it and not going to, the original is all I need. BTW, I am a cross-dominant Bullseye shooter and I use a patch on my left eye to shoot with my right hand!

Saw it last night..thought it was pretty good...unfortunately I was seated next to a woman who thought every single line was hysterical. Thankfully, she left half way through.

At least they got the eye patch on the correct eye this time, at least from the book.

I thought Bridges acted the shit out of Cogburn.

Two thumbs up.

Bridges was phenomenal, but Damon seemed like he could have walked over to the "Brokeback Mountain 2" set and been right at home.

add me to the list who liked the new True Grit. Now I'll have to get a copy of the book and read it. I did miss the filming on location in west central arkansas where I believe the original was filmed. The settings were excellent in this one too, but not quite Yell county. All in all well worth seeing.

I don 't think the eye patch was for shooting! If he lost the eye he had to make do with what he had left don't you think?

I've seen the original many times. Huge fan of John Wayne. I didn't want to see the remake, but the comments here led me to the theater. Both my wife and I were pleased with the movie, I thought it took nothing away from the original. This past weekend we watched the original, together. She had never seen the original, and said she much preferred it to the remake. Both are fine movies. Nobody does it like the Duke!

I really enjoyed True Grit, while I don't love all the Coen Brother's movies, True Grit was really fun to watch.

It should be noted that the Coen Brother's True Grit was not a 'remake' of the John Wayne film, it was simply an adaptation of the original book by Charles Portis. (The Coen Brother's haven't seen the JW film since they were kids and didn't base their film off it.)

I caught it this weekend, thought it was good, worth seeing in the theater.

Did anyone else think Jeff Bridges sounded like Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade the way he talked? I closed my eyes a couple of times and thought he was going to say "some people call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DT1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I caught it this weekend, thought it was good, worth seeing in the theater.

Did anyone else think Jeff Bridges sounded like Billy Bob Thorton in Sling Blade the way he talked? I closed my eyes a couple of times and thought he was going to say "some people call it a sling blade, I call it a kaiser blade"</div></div>

did you read my post?

i aint seen the movie yet but it ocurred to me when i saw the trailer that the one actor sounded a lot like that feller on slingblade. is it just me or did anyone else notice this uncanny similarity?

I liked the original and was reserved about the remake, hoping it would not be a bad movie. I finally saw it last night and enjoyed it. After watching both movies, there are parts of each movie that I like and parts that I do not like. I am no fan of Bridges or Damon. I hate contributing my money to their liberal agendas.

My wife and I went to see it. She had never seen the original. I've seen it multiple times. I was disappointed overall but thought the girl who played Matty Ross did an outstanding job. Jeff Bridges dud a great job too but...... Matt Damon ain't a western movie actor and needs to stick with the action movies like Jason Borne. I thought the guy who played Ned Pepper performed very well too. New technology changes the setting and background for movies but I think it sometimes takes away from movies too. It was worth going to once.

I though Matt Damon was just fine, he took a beating in the flick. The girl was great, Bridges very solid. I feel this movie is more a sum being better than it's parts.

I love how this thread has evolved from start to finish...hilarious.

Jedi - I definitely I agree with you here ... Open Range was a GREAT flick and certainly one of Duvall's best performances.

True Grit was great -- I just saw it tonight ... definitely worth the money. I love the fact that Westerns continue to be made on the big screen. Bridges did a fantastic job w/the role and Maddie's character stole the show.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jedi5150</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: apache308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I first saw the trailer of the remake I had mixed feeling as well. The original with the Duke and Robert Duval as Ned Pepper is one of my all time favorites and I must have watched it 20 times over the past years...and yes I am old enough to have seen the original at the theater. When I saw that the Cohen bros were doing it I though WTH I'll give it a shot. Well, I was not dissapointed - it is a worthy and quality remake. . I agree that Bridges did a great job but fell a little short of the Duke, but still brought his own flavor to the Cogburn roll. Damon was "fair" as LaBoeuf, and was a believable character as was Brolin's portrayal of Cheney. The high spots of the film were the "new" Mattie Ross - she was outstanding and to me was better than the original. Also - Barry Pepper as Ned Pepper was fantastic! The scene at the river where Ross stumbled into Cheney and Pepper was better than the original - as was the dugout scene with Quincy and Moon. The 4 vs 1 shootout scene was also very well done. The only dissapointment was the scenery...That is, the original was filmed in a western state during the fall of the year and the scenes were beautiful and had wide panoramic views throughout the movie. This one was good - just not as good in that respect - only. Still - it does not follow the original to the letter as some have suggested and has a distinctly different ending. Its well done and worth the price of admission. Your mileage may vary. SR </div></div>

Good comments. I don't believe I've ever seen the original with the Duke (heresy, I know). I'd rate this new version right up there in the best new westerns. I really enjoyed Appaloosa (long time Viggo Mortensen fan) but the best western in recent years is still Open Range. IMHO it was Kevin Costner's best work and Robert Duvall was awesome as always. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kill_goose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At least they got the eye patch on the correct eye this time, at least from the book....</div></div>
Yeah, the Duke wearing that damn patch over the wrong eye really spoiled the original for me.

After watching the original last night I was left wondering why they change the story as much as they did. The new one is really a cleaner line, makes better sense, and adds suspense.

I really enjoyed True Grit although I can't understand why Brolin's name is headlined. He's only in the movie for a short period. Overall, very entertaining.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After watching the original last night I was left wondering why they change the story as much as they did. The new one is really a cleaner line, makes better sense, and adds suspense. </div></div>

Because the new one is based more on the book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sled Dog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After watching the original last night I was left wondering why they change the story as much as they did. The new one is really a cleaner line, makes better sense, and adds suspense. </div></div>

Because the new one is based more on the book. </div></div>

That's what I meant. The John Wayne version changed parts from the book that didn't need it.

I love the original but this one is the better of the two. Much better acting and they added more to the story. I love a lot of the old westerns. I grew up watching them and would have killed for a Henry rifle like Guss' in Lonesome Dove. This movie is the best modern western ever made. Right above Open Range.

Excellent movie for a remake. Matties' character was a masterful performance.

Very god movie, I can't remember the original but I'm sure it's just as good as this version. Didn't like how hard it was to understand Bridges though