• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns True North Concepts MHA opinions

NighthawkCG

Private
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2017
Was recently recommended that I look into the TNC MHA for my setup. I am currently running the safariland, single strap drop platform with the drop flex adaptor (DFA), with the holster about as high as it can go. I don't really have a ton of issues with it, but it is pretty bulky for what it is. Have you used the MHA? Thoughts?

The only real con I see at this point is I lose the two allen keys that are always with my gear (tucked in back of drop platform). However, I'm not sure how much I'll gain besides decreased bulk. Is the fine tuning that much of a benefit? Asking because I've never had that many options and don't know what I don't know.

Also any issues with going from the DFA to rigid? The kit is worn in vehicles, used while shooting dynamically, and from alternate positions from time to time.

Thanks.

The fine tuning of the TNC MHA is a good benefit however, it's not quick adjust. The rigidity combined with a lack of quick adjust will be noticeable immediately if you do any type of kneeling, squatting, vehicle, etc and it's adjusted for a standing position. However you can adjust it based on your body dimensions.

I use an S&S Precision Holster Extender with GRT and the rigidity of it helps with the draw however exacerbates the abduction (outward rotation) of the holster the lower I adjust the holster. Adding a single leg strap solves the abduction issue but the issue with positional shooting and vehicle use becomes apparent as the amount of drop makes your holster hit the seat causing you to lean while sitting to compensate and the leg strap restricts your movement. Adjust the S&S higher quickly and the leg restriction still remains. The strap itself will contort your holster while sitting, add pressure to your upper leg and hips. It can be a literal pain if you're sitting a long time.
With something like the S&S Holster Extender or the Safariland QUBL or VUBL (cheaper - wasn't available when I bought the S&S) I can solve the height issue. I added an Arbor Arms Swivi-lockster kit to my leg strap to solve the issue of constricted leg movement, as it allows for a pivoting motion and will keep the holster largely vertical. There are other simpler solutions such as the Safariland RGR-UBL which has a fixed holster height.

Gotta ask yourself if you need that type of adjustability in your system based on your experience with your current setup or whether or not you'd just like to try it and see if it's a better mousetrap. Of course, more things can fail once you start complicating the setup.

These are some other options I have not thought about. Will have to do more looking into. Thanks!

I have the TNC MHA. I thought it be awesome but digs into my side. Maybe I need to adjust/loosen the belt so its not as tight or something but then the belt and everything goes down my hips. Do have some thick quads, etc here.

I used the true north mha alot earlier this year and last year. It was great. No holster flop and very solid. Used it with a very stiff outer belt. No leg strap. Did a bunch of vehicle stuff without any major issue, although it can get jammed up in the seat if you’re not careful. Overall it was an improvement over the stock safariland attachment ubl thingy

Consider the G Code optimal drop platform. Has a belt loop like a normal duty safariland holster, and a single leg strap for stability. All you need is an RTI adapter and you can use your safariland holster with it.

I think it runs about $65 prior to shipping.

Thanks guys. Still considering all options, but also asking myself the better mousetrap question. Keep the thoughts coming!

Haunas - I find that both the belt and the leg strap tightness have to play along together to not run down the hips. Maybe try loosening the leg strap just a bit?

I absolutely love mine. Have two setups with it. I won’t run the factory Safariland setup anymore. The MHA is way more comfortable to me. I did have a issue in certain pants it would go into the pocket getting in and out of my vehicle. Simple angle grinder and some alumablack and problem was solved. I recommend the MHA to everyone and so far no one has changed back once they tried it.

Reactions: NighthawkCG
Thanks guys. Still considering all options, but also asking myself the better mousetrap question. Keep the thoughts coming!

Haunas - I find that both the belt and the leg strap tightness have to play along together to not run down the hips. Maybe try loosening the leg strap just a bit?
Gonna play around with it to find the optimal-ness of it.