• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing True up / Blue printing an action????

FamilyMan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2011
Utah
So i have been looking into this and have watched the videos that were posted before on action work and was wondering do you always change the bolt to a tighter fitting (over sized) bolt when this service is done to the action? If it is not required, when is it recommended to do so? I ask because i am contemplating getting a new bolt knob installed on my factory rem700 bolt but don't want to waste the money if i just am going to replace it when i do the action work?

Re: True up / Blue printing an action????

Not necessary, around here I'd wager its relatively rare to do so.

Opinions vary.
Go read up Greg Tannels write-up about truing and you will probably want to fit a new bolt.
Another advantage of fitting a new bolt is that you get to tighten up the primary extraction camming that you lose during truing.

On a full build, I always recommend a new bolt as part of a truing job.

What is the point of truing a receiver if the bolt fit is so loose that you can't even realize the potential gains of the receiver work?

I've done it both ways and both ways shoot very well. The 700's I have personally (2 in all) have had the raceway reamed to .705" and the fluted PTG .703" bolt body in them.

If I did it agian, and I wont, I'd order the .703" fluted bolt body with a .7045" bump grind and mini M-16 extractor. Order all new fire control if you opt for the new bolt body.

By the time you do all of this you could have purchased a custom receiver and maintained a higher value/resale percentage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've done it both ways and both ways shoot very well. The 700's I have personally (2 in all) have had the raceway reamed to .705" and the fluted PTG .703" bolt body in them.

If I did it agian, and I wont, I'd order the .703" fluted bolt body with a .7045" bump grind and mini M-16 extractor. Order all new fire control if you opt for the new bolt body.

By the time you do all of this you could have purchased a custom receiver and maintained a higher value/resale percentage.</div></div>

Thats solid advice

One other note, the other reason I did it, was a 1 piece bolt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rprecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

One other note, the other reason I did it, was a 1 piece bolt </div></div>

that's the main reason i change the bolt. the factory bolt, even with it's sloppy fit, is plenty good enough to produce a rifle that is more accurate than any field or tac-match rifle needs to be. the separate bolt handle is the major flaw i have with them. i'm perfectly happy with a remington extractor in a standard bolt face and i don't want flutes.

getting better extraction cam is the other reason although that can be fixed by relocating the oem handle.

As I have said before, of you're starting from scratch, William hit it on the head, again. Buy a custom action. However, if you already have the Remington action, and are attached to it, then true it. In my videos I didn't show the bolt replacement, but it is my preferred method. You end up with a better fitting bolt that is precision machined with your choice of extractor, which William also pointed out. I do it on any Remington I true up anymore, unless its not mine, and they oppose the idea. I do have a video explaining the process, but it's on my you tube channel, which I didn't post it here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, but a true tactical rifle needs perfect lug / internal lug mating and a bolt thst isn't too tight in its bore. I will pay for this post.....: ) </div></div>

Of that, I have no doubt. Brace yourself. Incoming!!
grin.gif

Regards, Paul

Trig it out once and see what the angular deflection is when a bolt has "excessive" clearance. Now prove that this the difference between rock solid performance or a gun prone to flyers.

After truing almost 100 actions last year I've yet to see it.

The tight ones just want to hang up and act tempermental when the dust starts flying.

True the reciever, tig the handle so it wont break and to get the PE back. Then go shoot it.

Done right it'll hammer.

C.

Along with the PE comment that Chad makes, I will not use a 1 piece, drop in bolt, because there is no way to fix the timing for ANYTHING.

The only times that I've broken Remington handles (3 times now) has come when the receiver wasn't properly timed and I had to "pop" the bolt handle to get cases to extract. They seem to break at inopportune times too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Along with the PE comment that Chad makes, I will not use a 1 piece, drop in bolt, because there is no way to fix the timing for ANYTHING.

The only times that I've broken Remington handles (3 times now) has come when the receiver wasn't properly timed and I had to "pop" the bolt handle to get cases to extract. They seem to break at inopportune times too.

</div></div>

I prefer to burn my own handles on, too.

I used Holland handles on the last two. They're cast but seem to be well made.

I don't tig them on, though. I mill a notch in the bolt body, pack the shroud threads with clay, and burn them from the inside out. It's pretty ovious when the firing pin assembly is removed, but invisible from the outside.

Used .045 Dual Shield 7100 Ultra on the last one cuz that's what was on my 452 at work. I'm pretty sure I got decent penetration!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: X Ring Accuracy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Agreed, but a true tactical rifle needs perfect lug / internal lug mating and a bolt thst isn't too tight in its bore. I will pay for this post.....: ) </div></div>

Of that, I have no doubt. Brace yourself. Incoming!!
grin.gif

Regards, Paul </div></div>
I can always count on you Paul : )