• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Trued 700 action VS Custom

jackinfl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2008
Fort lauderdale, Fl
Once a 700 action is properly trued/ blueprinted by a competent gunsmith, is there a discernable difference downrange when compared to a Custom action?

Jack

Re: Trued 700 action VS Custom

Do a search this has been covered over and over and usually insues arguments with people. BTW most threads are not that old.

DO A SEARCH!!!

for the quick answer

not really

if you already have an action then have it trued, if your starting from scratch get the custom.

price works out about the same, +/- 100 bucks

kt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: marku</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do a search this has been covered over and over and usually insues arguments with people. BTW most threads are not that old.

DO A SEARCH!!! </div></div>

marku,
I did. Maybe I am not asking the search engine the right questions, but I did. Thanks for your help. Maybe if you could provide a link to the thread you are referring to that might be more helpful.
Jack

I haven't found it, and tend to like the Remington done right over a majority of the custom actions... at least in dirty work hard conditions.

I have the customs, but always seem to lean towards the Remington, it just works for me. I like My Nesika, but it needs a lot of attention, my Surgeon is good, but we see them hit the top rail and knock the casings back into the chamber, he needs to machine a notch or something, and I currently like my Badger M2008 on the Valkyrie, no complaints so far.

frankly I think it is a status thing more than a function / accuracy thing. I'll never hesitate to use a well adjusted remington

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I haven't found it, and tend to like the Remington done right over a majority of the custom actions... at least in dirty work hard conditions.

I have the customs, but always seem to lean towards the Remington, it just works for me. I like My Nesika, but it needs a lot of attention, my Surgeon is good, but we see them hit the top rail and knock the casings back into the chamber, he needs to machine a notch or something, and I currently like my Badger M2008 on the Valkyrie, no complaints so far.

frankly I think it is a status thing more than a function / accuracy thing. I'll never hesitate to use a well adjusted remington </div></div>

WOW....I have always felt the same way, but it is really nice to hear it from someone with your experience. My trued 700 on my KMW is the smoothest action I have ever felt.

I have trued allot of actions: true the face on a mandrel in the lathe, lap the lugs, true the bolt face, sleeve the bolt. I don't chase the threads.

Truing an action is like buying your fiance an engagement set. It does not materially affect her fertility, but it is a gesture and symbol of commitment to the relationship.

Truing an action is like buying your kid piano lessons. It will not make him more likely to survive, but it is a gesture and a symbol of commitment to do everything possible to help.

It is on the list of things to do to bond with your rifle:
Take it apart.
Clean.
Lubricate.
Reassemble.
Re stock.
Re barrel.
Re scope.
Re sling.
Re trigger.
New bottom metal.
New recoil pad.
Blue the metal.
Handload ammo for that rifle
Go to the range with the rifle
Write up a range report with list of things to do
Buy a new case for the rifle
Attach an external cant indicator
New scope mount
New rings
New bi pod
New paint job
Extra magazines
Week ends in the country together
Artful pics of the rifle next to a survival knife.
S&M like NOBODY breaking in a bull barrel, not a cow barrel

If you have done all that, and want to go further, true the action.

S & M ? This isn't going to get sexual is it?
FWIW, customs look cool, my remingtons I have trued shoot as well but look normal and bland at the range while everyone is ogling the customs. Proof is on the paper/target and it becomes a test of the shooter versus the equipment used.

One thing to consider is if you are planning to sell the action later on. You will be able to get more of your money back out of a custom usually.

David

camaroNMS.jpg

Need I say more?

IMO if you have a rifle long enough, and like it enough to see yourself one day in the position of looking to rebarrel it, you might as well say to yourself, "Yes I love this rifle, and will be keeping it." With that question answered, you can more justly have the action trued for seveal reasons...

1. What was established above.
2. Your rifle will already need an apt. with Dr.Gun for a new barrel, so have the action trued in the process, its the best time to do it. (If you have your reciever face trued, your going to run into headspace problems unless you shim your recoil lug ((EDIT: or true your bolt face the same depth))....and noone does that..that I know of?)
3. You loved your rifle with a factory action right? You will LOVE it with a trued action!

hase anyone ever rebarreled an rem action with out truing it? what were the resaults? Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrbet83</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what's better ford or chevy????haha </div></div>
My '72 Beetle will take both you guys : )