• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Trust attorney

jeo556

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 3, 2009
Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
I'm mulling over establishing a NFA trust to purchase a suppressor with. The question I have is without being a lawyer myself, how do I know if the attorney is actually writing a good trust?

For instance, I've heard conflicting reports regarding adding a minor as a co-trustee vs. a beneficiary and know people who have trusts written both ways, however the attorney I spoke with said a minor cannot be a co-trustee and my friends attorney said they can.

I also have no idea what a reasonable price to have a trust written. I've seen everything from $100-500. I'm willing to pay for a better written trust, but since I don't know what that entails I feel like I could just be paying more for a similar product.

I appologize if these questions have been asked before but with the switch to scout and back again some stuff is hard to find.

thanks

Last edited:
A lot of us paid $600+ 10 years ago

The benefits of a trust are much less now

You don't want a minor on an NFA trust, it has NFA specific provisions. Don't want them as a beneficiary either. How can a minor take over possession of your machine gun in the unfortunate event of your death?

Minor also cannot be a responsible person, e.g., co-trustee. The attorney advising you on these things needs to have specific NFA knowledge or his opinion is uninformed

Besides, you don't WANT co-trustees on your trust, that's just more fingerprint cards to send in.

I'd scroll through and read a bunch of the threads before proceeding so you don't make any moves that you later regret.

I did pay alot more years ago. But my brother did NFA Lawyer last year. Here is one provision that mine has that my brother had them add to his.
so at the time of mine my daughter was a minor. So i had that if both my wife and i passed away before my daughter became an adult in the eyes of the ATF my brother would at that time and only at that time become a trustee and only until my daughter became an adult. At that point she would get the trust. Since she is now an adult that provision is void.
he talked to NFA lawyers and had them do the same to his, making me trustee until his sons are adults.
i believe any lawyer that says a minor can be a trustee doesn't understand NFA law. Also why in the hell would you want a minor to be a trustee? Beneficiary is not the same as trustee.

I went through the SilencerShop process a while back for another trust. Ridiculously simple and easy also.

So the question I have now is this. Joe Schmoe hires an attorney to write up an NFA trust. If the ATF approves the sale of an NFA item under said trust, does that automatically make the trust legal/valid? If there is something that contradicts NFA will the ATF DENY THE sale? If the ATF misses something, approves the sale, and down the road it is somehow discovered that the language in the trust is incorrect, is the trustee open to legal ramifications?

Last edited: