• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors trust for under 21

416barrett

Private
Minuteman
Sep 15, 2010
Georgia ,seminole ounty
Ok so I thought I had to wait 2 more years to get a suppressor but I've read that's only to buy from a dealer. If im one a trust and the trustee is over 21 then I can have possession of it correct? Seems a good way to spend income tax if I get any.I want the aac titan ss for my savage 338lm. Also what's the laws of buying a suppressor from another private citizen? Paperwork etc? Im in GA . Just wanting to grow my collection for this new year.

Re: trust for under 21

this should be interesting...

ATF should do away with CLEO signature and Trusts.

alot of county's the sheriff wont sign, you have to go trust if that's the case.

and scene your under 21 that might be just the easy way to go

CLEO signature is an invasion of privacy IMO. But the trust is such a grey area and is such a large loophole to get people NFA items easily. Well mainly the thing that bothers me is multiple trustees using the item. My understanding is they do not do checks on everyone listed on the trust.

a corporation/LLC is a different beast and I have no problem with those setups.

of course on the flip side there is always an issue of transferring high value NFA items to your heirs.

Uh, who cares who is on a trust and who is not?

This entire process doesn't stop any crime. Never has, never will.

But seriously how many crimes do you hear about that a registered suppressor was used ??

I've only seen it in movies

I was under the impression that to be listed as a trustee on a trust you had to legally able to possess the NFA item ?? I know that a check is not done on them but in the event of your demise ATF won't be to lenient knowing that a 20 or 19yr old May possess a full auto or suppressors

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300WSM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CLEO signature is an invasion of privacy IMO. But the trust is such a grey area and is such a large loophole to get people NFA items easily. Well mainly the thing that bothers me is multiple trustees using the item. My understanding is they do not do checks on everyone listed on the trust.

a corporation/LLC is a different beast and I have no problem with those setups.</div></div>

Brother, you are sooooo misinformed. The trust is NOT A LOOPHOLE. I have to do a 4473 and a NICS background check on a Trustee before I transfer the can to them. It is the same for a Corp, LLC, or any other transferable entity. The Trustees are responsible for ensuring that a member or their trust is not in any way, shape, or form unable to legally possess the item. It is the same for other entities.

What is the difference of you, an individual, allowing your buddy to take your individually owned can out to the range w/o you and a trustee allowing a felon to be a co-trustee and in possession of an NFA item? They are both bad juju.

The NFA <span style="text-decoration: underline"><span style="font-weight: bold">does not</span></span> need to take transfers to trusts away. Remove the CLEO requirement, yes, but not take away trust transfers. Transfering your item to a trust protects the item, the trustees, and ensures that it goes where the trustees want it to go.

If I privately sell a firearm, there is no NICS check. Should private sells of firearms be illegal? To me, it would be more questionable to privately sell a firearm that shoots bullets rather than to allow a co-trustee to possess a tube with baffles for hearing protection when it is attached to a host firearm.

300WSM, In no way am I meaning to be negative toward you. I read your posts and you always give great contributions. There are so many people who are ignorant on suppressor use anyway, and the last thing I want to see is another BS CNN story on the trust "loophole."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trophyhunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression that to be listed as a trustee on a trust you had to legally able to possess the NFA item ?? I know that a check is not done on them but in the event of your demise ATF won't be to lenient knowing that a 20 or 19yr old May possess a full auto or suppressors</div></div>

A 20yo may not possess a MG with a trust. There is a 21yo requirement. The NFA Branch looks at suppressors and AOWs much differently than other NFA items. This issue came up a few years back when a gentlemen under the age of 21 wanted a suppressor. After contacting the BATFE Attorneys, they decided that there was no problem with a trustee under the age of 21 being in possession of a suppressor. However, he could not be the actual transferee on the 4473.