• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying android

Surffshr

Beach Bum
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2009
SoTX
I'm just trying this thing out. This will really mess with my productivity at work!

Re: Trying android

I'm getting my first one tomorrow.

From Blackberry to Android...

Thanks for the warning.
laugh.gif

Which model? I'm kinda techy with the android i have (EVO) thus far even have a few good sites for apps and all to try before you buy.

I got the LG Ally 740.

So far this is way cool!

MUCH, MUCH better better than my Blackberry.

I like it.

Well if you gentlemen are interested in trying out different apps and all. Pm Me the name i can point you in some good places to peek into so your not racking up a bunch of app dl bills with your new phones.

RemiG;
If you are trying to suggest that these gents should download illegal free copies of software that is normally a very small expense anyway.......I wish you would take down your posts.

If you are only downloading free apps, this post is not directed towards you.

At least one of the apps they will likely be interested in was written by a friend of mine and a friend and member of this board.

These apps are inexpensive yet they represent an investment of time and money for the developers. If you are downloading apps that were not meant to be free, without paying for them, that makes you a thief.

No i am not referring to stealing any SW, there are plenty of indian developers who create mirrors of some existing products so you can try out a "buggy" unfinished version of a product before you go investing 30-40$ if your referring to productivity apps.

I'm sure the android market is more than happy with the money i spend on apps "after" i've tested out a close variant online.

I must admit I have not heard of this method of sampling incomplete programs, other than the demo versions available on the Market.

I ended up with a my touch 4g. I didn't know what to expect as I have never had anything more than a phone, and my wife talked me into getting one of these for both of us. I love it. Very fun tool that has actually replaced the camera and gps I always toted around at work.

I have a droid 2. Been an excellent phone for my work and play. I use the camera, internet, connect my laptop to internet while I'm in the field with my serivce truck, organize jobs, look up parts, check bank accounts and emails. It really has saved me time and money. I played a few games on it just to try them out. Now I don't play any games on it. No time. I can be away from my computer much easier in this internet age we are in.
Shooter is an excellent program for ballistics. Only thing I wish it did was range targets with the gps. If it does, I havn't figured it out.

"Maps ruler" can tell you the range of something far away.

i rooted my droid and i love it running a custom rom now droidmod rom and cyanogen 6.1 right now

I just got a Droid 2 global and so far I cant sign in to Snipers Hide from my phone I enter my username and password and it says incorrect username/password. I can log in just fine from my computer???

I monkeyed with it long enough and it got logged on. Still not sure where or what the problem was I use the same password for everything and my username is my name. Oh well it works now.

I do like the phone... still figuring it out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lank</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Consensus seems that its better than the Blackberry?
</div></div>

I just moved from Blackberry to Android. Android has a lot cooler apps. My main driving force to buy the Android was to use the Shooter app as well as some others. Having used the phone for a couple of weeks, it seems that my Blackberry was a better communication device. It:
- Syncs more easily with Outlook
- Maintains all contact info in one place seamlessly
- Uses less battery power
- Has a more usable phone interface

All that said, I am not going back. I bought Touchdown and Dialer One and got about 85% of the things that make the Blackberry great. It is far easier to surf the Internet on an Android or an iPhone compared to the Blackberry. RIM just got behind the curve and I don't know if they will be able to catch up.

For seamless operation, the iPhone is great. In the long run, I think there will be more innovation and segmentation with the Android. For instance, there are already two ruggedized Android phones out. I don't see Apply inventing a ruggedized iPhone any time soon.

On the other hand, I think that the iPhone will maintain advantage for seamlessness in the long run because one company controls both the hardware and the software. It is interesting watching this play out in the phones just as it played out in personal computers. Apple owned the market and then Wintel came along and gave an equivalent product that was cheaper and easier for 3rd parties to develop for and eventually PC's dominated. I am wondering if Jobs learned anything from the last go 'round.

battery life or the lack of it???
Is there a way to keep alot of the programs turned off when I dont need them? It seems like I go and turn everything off and five minutes later everything is back on and it goes dead overnight.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Moroni</div><div class="ubbcode-body">battery life or the lack of it???
Is there a way to keep alot of the programs turned off when I dont need them? It seems like I go and turn everything off and five minutes later everything is back on and it goes dead overnight. </div></div>

I use Open Advanced Task Killer to kills apps I don't want running. I also make sure gps, wireless, etc. is not on when I'm not using them.

Jay

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JHARRIS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I use Open Advanced Task Killer to kills apps I don't want running. I also make sure gps, wireless, etc. is not on when I'm not using them.

Jay </div></div>
My preference for monitoring GPS, sync, bluetooth, and the like is to place the "Power Widget" on the screen. You will always know if they are running with just a glance, and they can be toggled at will.

I have the Droid Incredible and my battery life used to be horrendous (less than 14 hours and it was dead).

I decided to Root it and remove all the stupid "stock" apps that were just chewing up the battery, and installed Advanced Task Killer. Now I can make it about a 1 1/2 days on a single charge if I need to.

JonnyHawks how would I "root" it? There are a lot of things on it that I would never use. I got the advanced task killer and it turns all the crap off but two minutes later its all back on.

I can figure a rifle out but when it comes to anything tech related I'm a water headed retard

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: petrochempros.com</div><div class="ubbcode-body">rooting it can be made simple bro, google easyroot. if you plan to run a custom rom, be careful overclocking., i took my droid 1 to 1.2ghz medium voltage and it didnt like it, lol. ended up at a 900mhz ultra low voltage kernal and modified froyo rom... I like froyo alot! theres alot less bugs then with a completely custom rom. Chevy has some sick roms and seemed the least buggy out of the big roms, but still buggier than a bugless beast or rooted froyo rom </div></div>

Nothing in this made sense to me... guess im not droid savvy enough to understand.. im afraid im gonna completly screw up my droid. And if i take it back to verizon they gonna know I did something to it...

Thanks.. I'll have to give it a look. I really want to get rid of most of these preprogrammed apps that keep draining my battery. I've also seen some with a different front menu set up that does not come with the phone. I'd love to change that to make it more custom to what I like.

YES YES YES...If you think Droid beats Blackberry now...I suggest reading up and consider rooting and tweaking it. It will blow your mind the stuff that is improved. It's about like messing with the settings on your Chargemaster 1500.

On the HTC Sense (which you can think of as the Operating System), its incredibly common and a known fact that apps jus turn themselves on at random. That is one reason the battery sucks, and one reason I rooted.

Depending on your phone, you can usually simply download a program to your PC and run the program with your phone attached to the PC via USB cable. Thats how I did mine. Took less than 10 mins to root.

Titanium Backup is a great program for Rooted Droids as it lets you backup apps and data and "Freeze" apps vs deleting them totally

Another new Android user here, HTC Evo 4G about a month ago. I LOVE it, the thing just blows my mind. It's a tablet PC more than a phone. Lots and lots of good info here http://androidforums.com/ I personally have not had a problem with my phone locking up, force closing apps, etc etc. I've read about people lumping all HTC phones, HTC Sense, Android OS, or whatever into one group and labeling them in one way or another but I can say that I've had more issues with iPhone, AT&T, and Apple Apps than I have with my Evo. The Evo kills the iPhone 3G in every way. Can't comment on the 4th Gen because I don't have it. The amount and quality of apps in the App Store kill the Android Market but Android Apps don't work any worse than Apple Apps.