• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying different ammo brands; do you have to clean the barrel?

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    I know cleaning the barrel around here isn't too popular but I have a bit of a unique question. I remember reading some time ago (and can't remember if it was true or not) that you should clean your barrel if changing your 'manufacturer group' as far as ammo.

For example, you can shoot all the Eley you want. But as soon as you want to try Wolf/SK/Lapua you need to clean it completely. Then you can shoot all the Wolf/SK/Lapua you can stand but if you want to try Remington or whatever, or switch back to Eley. As far as accuracy, and trying out different ammo and seeing how it groups - is this true? Does the difference in lube on the bullet cause an issue here?

I have a CZ 455 with a Lilja barrel that I just put the first 100 rounds through this morning. It was ok with Eley Club, did well with Eley Edge and loved Tenex (.7 5 shot, 5 group average). I was going to go out and try the Edge again just to make sure but I also have a pile of Lapua, Wolf and SK I want to try as well. My testing is prone, 100 yards, 5 5 shot groups; same for each ammo. Wanted to see if I need to clean after my Eley testing was done.

Germ,
    The issue here is wax. You can clean and then you need to re season the barrel with the new ammo. Most say that it takes 5 -10 shots. Or you can shoot a box of the other and most of the old wax will be gone, from what I have read. I never really saw much difference after the first 10 shots either way. But I do not have high tech gear. My stuff is mostly Win 52 C's with old Unertls. Under MOA and I am happy. I do not always achieve that at 100 meters.

I suppose if y'er OCD, then cleaning between brands is important.
    Shoot a box of 50 and clean. Then send 20 to rewax the bore, then 30 for effect.
    I don't bother with cleaning, just grab the next box, shoot 20 to season, then 30 for effect.

Works out about the same, without all the cleaning in between.
    gap.gif

^^^^ yep. accept i do less season shooting. i shoot till it settles in with the same ammo.

I don't mind "wasting" 20.
    Plenty of clay chunks on the berm that need dusting.
    laugh2.gif

Not really OCD, I just want accurate results when switching ammo 'types'.

I don't want the ammo to receive a benefit or hindrance from the lube/wax of the previous ammo or make some sort of...magical wax in the process :)

Plus, secretly I'm hoping Lapua or Wolf shoots better than Tenex because its almost twice the price.

Yep, pretty much the same here too. I don't clean at all until accuracy drops and that is many a brick for me. But when going between ammo brands I just shoot all I need to of 1 brand (get a good idea how it shoots) then simply shoot the other brand. What I find is that the first 5 rounds will usually be really good (probably better than the average for that ammo so don't count on that accuracy) then it will drop off for 10-15 more rounds and by the 20ish round mark its back to shooting consistently for that ammo. I see no need in cleaning between ammo, the more often you clean the higher the percentage of a chance to do something to harm the bore or crown (it can happen to anyone). Just don't flip flop back and forth between brands you will just be wasting ammo. Shoot all you need to determine the accuracy the first time. Also its a good idea to keep your ammo test targets and record the atmospherics and approx. round count from the last cleaning when they were fired for each brand and lot #. I find that's a good tool to go back on if you run out of a good lot #.

Plus, secretly I'm hoping Lapua or Wolf shoots better than Tenex because its almost twice the price.

I would be shocked if the Tenex comes out on top, I find it can be some very finicky stuff. Some lots scream and some lots dream. Try: Eley black box (I am interested in the Edge but have yet to try any), RWS R50, RWS target rifle, Lapua (anything).

I would be shocked if the Tenex comes out on top, I find it can be some very finicky stuff. Some lots scream and some lots dream. Try: Eley black box (I am interested in the Edge but have yet to try any), RWS R50, RWS target rifle, Lapua (anything).

Ya I have Eley Match (the other black box) still to try as well as a follow up for Edge as I think the barrel was better right after I shot the groupings and think Edge may have gotten short changed.

Looking at my ammo stack, I have some Eley Pistol (where the hell did I get that??) to try as well as a metric ton of Wolf Match, Wolf Match Extra, SK Standard Plus, Lapua Midas, Lapua CenterX and some R50.

Who would the R50 fall under, as far as manufacturer? If I remember correctly, all the Wolf, SK and Lapua stuff are made by the same people so can be tested together.

German, you can read posts and other's opinions 'til your eyes fall out or you can test for yourself. This is the only way you will get the answer you are looking for. Not trying to be a jerk, just pragmatic.

That being said, there are some extremely OCD shooters at one of the ranges I frequent. According to one old man, a person must clean their barrel anytime they change brands for .22 LR and must also clean their barrel anytime they change powders for centerfire. If not, there gun won't be accurate. He claims this to be gospel, not because he has ever actually tested it for himself, rather because David Tubb says so.

My experience has showed the exact opposite. My life got a whole lot easier when I stopped worrying about these types of things and just went out and shot…and shot…and shot some more. It's amazing how real-life experience and learning the basics of shooting can negate so many "myths" or OCD ideas.

I understand you just want to shoot as accurately as possible, as such there is no substitute for doing your own testing. Maybe your results will help someone else on the forum.

That is about the best advice I can give, good luck and good shooting! :)

Last edited:
    Not really OCD, I just want accurate results

I hear ya', I'm the one with the OCD.
    Just can't bear to see one bit of day-glo clay glimmering on the backstop.
    Been known to spend an entire morning picking off every fleck of visible orange.
    Get's really difficult when you're using a 32x scope and trying to pick off micro-dots.
    Now that's a challenge for ya'! Especially at 100 yards.
    AR15firing.gif

Last edited:
    I hear ya', I'm the one with the OCD.
    Just can't bear to see one bit of day-glo clay glimmering on the backstop.
    Been known to spend an entire morning picking off every fleck of visible orange.
    Get's really difficult when you're using a 32x scope and trying to pick off micro-dots.
    Now that's a challenge for ya'! Especially at 100 yards.
    AR15firing.gif

Do this all the time. We even buy the small clays that are half the size of normal Trap clays. All shots are at a little over 100 as the backstop
    is after the 100 yrd mark.
    As for cleaning barrel, it is better to clean even between say Edge and 10X, as they use different lubes.
    Even SK and Lapua use a different lube compound. Wolff is made to a different spec than Lapua as well. At least it was.
    If you do clean, it take less ammo than if you don't, to re-season. Hot summer days it will season faster as well.
    Sometimes just a wet patch and a couple of dry patches is all it takes to get it make on track between same company
    grades. The new Eley Edge, uses a different lube than 10X, Teem and Match.