• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to decide on a .308 - Opinions on model and barrel twist

MAG00

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2012
NE Texas
I am in the market for a .308 and wanted to run a couple of questions/ideas past ya'll.

Base Info: This would be for fun shooting and some hunting. I would also shoot some longer ranges for practice and fun. This gun would probably stay factory for a while, but would hope to do some work on it in the future (i.e. stock, trigger, break, etc.).

Barrel twist: My first thought was to try to get a model that has a 1:10 or the Rem 700 5R. But I also see the Remington LE models all come with a 1:12 twist barrel. What are ya'lls thoughts on barrel twists?

Models:
I have been looking at the Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC and the Rem 700 5R mostly. I know that there is quite a bit of price difference between these two, but what would you do? Save the money and just go with the Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC or go ahead and spend the cash on the Rem 700 5R for the stainless barrel/action and the factory HS stock.

OR

Is there another make/model you would suggest?

I like the 5R. CS Tactical has one up for sale now at a good price. Mile High also has good prices, and you could drop it into an AICS when you get tired of the HS precision stock.

I also like the PSS models. The fact that they are 12-twist would not be a deal breaker for me. That twist works fine for almost everything in .308.

Stay away from anything with the rust-on-sight Remington parkerizing and/or a Hogue stock.

I would get the 1-10 if in the event you decide to get a can and run subs. You can also ceracoat it and put it in a H-S take off stock to get you started on the cheap.

1:10 or 5R. More options later on. I would only go 20", but I am biased in that regard.

The model 85471 (and the threaded variant) will get you started cheaper, especially if you plan to change the stock.

5R all the way, awesome factory rifle accuracy. 1:11.25 twist handles a lot of different projectile weights. best groups have been with 175s and 168s both going sub .25 moa on good days. will pretty much shoot anything sub 1 moa. Only thing mine hasnt liked were speer projectiles.

Bringing this thread back up. I'm still in the market for a good quality .308 to be used mainly for hunting and some fun "longer range" shooting, but mainly for hunting (50yds up to 400 yds). I'm still up in the air on the barrel twist when taking into account the intended use of the rifle. FYI - I would like a brake on it but not necessary and I don't see me getting a can anytime soon.

I had been mainly liking at the Remington 700 models mainly due to popularity, gunsmiths to work on it, and availability of parts. However, I would consider other makes/models. Something that would work good for now, but can be upgraded later. Since primary use is hunting, I don't want something that will be a pig to carry around.

Some rifles I have been looking into:
- Rem 700 5R 20": more expensive on the front end; stainless
- Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC (1:10 twist barrel): can be a good starter for future customization; not stainless
- Rem 700 SPS Stainless (1:10 twist barrel): can be a good starter for future customization; stainless
- Rem 700 SPS Tactical (1:12 twist barrel): can be a good starter for future customization; not stainless
- Tikka T3 various models (1:11 twist barrel): Know to be good out of the box, a little less common after market parts, a little less common for gunsmiths in my area
- Savage 11 Hog Hunter (1:10 twist barrel): cheap on the front end; is a blind mag which I'm not fond of; can be a good starter for future customization; not stainless
- Savage 10 FP-SR (1:10 twist barrel): can be a good starter for future customization (as long as not bottom bolt release); not stainless

I would add the FN SPR and the Winchester Stealth to the mix. I bought a Stealth a while back that is currently waiting for a new stock. The couple SPR's and Stealths I have come across have been great shooters. I also have a Tikka Tactical in .223 I bought used that has the longer barrel that is a great shooter as we'll . Lots of good options.

If looking for something with a not real heavy barrel to cut down on weight, what about the following:
- Rem 700 SPS Stainless: I believe it has a factory 1:10 twist barrel. The place it into a better stock. Maybe a B&C Medalist or a good laminate thumbhole stock that has an aluminum bedding block.

- Tikka T3 stainless: I believe it has a factory 1:11 twist barrel. Not sure on stock that can be had without custom ordering.

- - Savage 11 Hog Hunter: I believe it has a factory 1:10 twist barrel. Only problem is it is a blind magazine and without the expense of ordering s stock with a DBM I don't know how to easily and cheaply convert it to at least a hinged floor plate.

I would opt for a Tikka T3 Tactical or scout model if a Sako TRG was monetarily too much. The Tikkas are absolutely phenomenal shooters. As a longtime Remington owner/ shooter, as well as DOS certified M24 /M700 Remington armorer, the Tikka is a smarter choice. They come with a sub 1MOA 3 shot group guarantee. REMINGTON does not.

I just bought an AAC-SD.
Don't know what people are talking about in regards to the finish or the stock.
Finish is beautiful and can't see it ever rusting.
Stock feels nice in hand and is fully floated even when on a bipod.
For $650 I couldn't find a better option.

I'm new to this world.
A heavy barrel and 1:10 were important to me.
Also I went 700 due to the fact that there are a tone of people that shoot them and know how to teach me to shoot well.

I've helped my friend out at his gunshop for over two years. Every sps tactical that has passed through that store has had a flimsy stock. I would be willing to bet if you load your bipod the least little bit that the stock is touching the barrel. Not trying to bash your stock or anything. If you like it that's cool with me, but that is the first thing that needs to go on that rifle.

I agree it is the first thing that should be upgraded. I guess at the point I'm at I don't think it's holding me back yet.
It's easy to get caught up in the spec of every little part and feel the need to change everything.

I am in the market for a .308 and wanted to run a couple of questions/ideas past ya'll.

Base Info: This would be for fun shooting and some hunting. I would also shoot some longer ranges for practice and fun. This gun would probably stay factory for a while, but would hope to do some work on it in the future (i.e. stock, trigger, break, etc.).

Barrel twist: My first thought was to try to get a model that has a 1:10 or the Rem 700 5R. But I also see the Remington LE models all come with a 1:12 twist barrel. What are ya'lls thoughts on barrel twists?

Models:
I have been looking at the Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC and the Rem 700 5R mostly. I know that there is quite a bit of price difference between these two, but what would you do? Save the money and just go with the Rem 700 SPS Tactical AAC or go ahead and spend the cash on the Rem 700 5R for the stainless barrel/action and the factory HS stock.

OR

Is there another make/model you would suggest?

I am a firm believer that someone who, like you, is looking at a rifle that is accurate out of the box, will be doing some customizing at a later date, should give the Remington 700 SS 5-R Milspec some serious consideration. I did so 6 or 7 years ago (have had so much fun with it I've forgotten when I bought it) and have never looked back. For the first few years I shot it unmodified. Then I added a B&C Medalist Stock and Timney 500 trigger. That lead to a new PTG Bolt with M-16 style extractor. After more than 10K rounds I finally shot out the barrel and re-barreled it with a Benchmark with match chamber.

The original 5-R shot sub .5 MOA out of the box with some days giving me several groups of less than .25 MOA.

If you don't like the Stainless Steel "silver" just Duracoat it for less than $100 DIY. I did that to mine and let me tell you, that crap is durable. When I went to paint my new barrel with it, and recoat the action, I couldn't even scrub the old off with a scotchbrite pad. Just made the surface dull and then sprayed a new coat on. I used the "air dry" but there are also heat cured versions. Some like Cerrakote, etc. but the point is, if you start with a good Stainless action you've got a good foundation to build on for years. The 5-R Milspecs are more "Factory Customs" than just regular rifles. Mine even came with an accurized action based on various tool marks on bolt face etc.

BTW, the Benchmark Barrel which is a 5-C (same as 5-R without trademark issues) and has picked up right where the old barrel left off.