• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Trying to develop .308 OCW.

Gene Poole

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2011
Brighton, IL
I recently read a thread here on this and since I've been wanting to give Varget a try, I decided to use Dan Newberry's method a try:

http://optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com/

I'd just like to get any input on this since I've never done this method before.

So all the data I have seen point to somewhere in the 44 grain range as being the weight of choice for Varget pushing 175/178 SMK/A-Max bullets out of a .308 so I worked my way around that using 43.5 to 45.0 in 0.3 grain increments (all were compressed loads with the NATO brass and the long A-Maxes). Here's how they printed:
IMAG0255.jpeg

Number one on bottom center was a called flyer. I reprinted it (I loaded 6 of each load) after the run. I'm surprised at how much they spread at 45.0 grains. Maybe this was just me.

If I'm following Dan's guide correctly, it looks like I should pick 44.4g as my OCW and work from there. Does that sound good?

Details:

Remington BDL Varminter 24 in. 1:12 twist.
Cases: fired-once/fire-formed Austrian surplus 7.62 NATO. Neck sized with Lee Deluxe.
Hodgdon Varget powder.
CCI Benchrest primers.
178g A-Max at 2.825 COL.

IMAG0254.jpeg

Re: Trying to develop .308 OCW.

I have a similar question open for comment on my 338LM OCW test.

For yours, yes I would agree between your lowest load and your 44.4, it seems like the 44.4 grouped as well as did the lowest, so why not go with what provides a higher MV, everything else being equal.

cool, thanks for the link... I'll do that.

Dan's a good dude, friend of mine, lives just down the road.

He's all about helping folks out......