• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Trying to understand runout...

I got a call from Jake today.He is very knowledgable in advance reloading techniques. We discussed brass prep,neck turning ,runout,Annealing,bullet sorting,bullet pointing,and several other topics.To say Jake was very helpful would be an under statement.Thanks again for your valuable time.Oh i almost forgot Jake is also a Veteran.If you are wanting more accuracy from you reloads send him an email.He will call you back at his convenience.Richard

As mentioned before if you PM me please include a daytime phone and day/times you can take a lengthy call...

Jake

Thanks to Jake for giving me some pointers. I look forward to talking to him again. He's a great help to us that are just making our way into serious reloading . Jake, if I get near Auburn/ Opelika I'll give you a call about Hard rock. Thanks Bud.

jwp6114 , I'm intrigued by your posts . I would love to hear via PM or email any pointers you would have . It would be greatly appreciated ! I just sprung for a Warner Tool sizing die and have it in a few more weeks . Email also sent

I do not type up material in my head unless I'm using it for a paid class. I give verbal suggestions via phone convo, take notes... Got your E-mail call a few of ya tomorrow.

Jake

I've noticed some brass expands more on one side than the other. That's going to ruin one's day on the runout gauge if the case is being spun on ball bearings riding the case walls.

I use2 different run out setups, the new hornady and the Sinclair, to be honest I'm not sure which one to trust... I need to play with taking multiple measurements from both and publish them...

I can tell you this with certainty... Pay no attention to run out on freshly neck turned cases until you fire form them again...

Thank you Jake, we talked for over an hour! got some critical info.

Things I learned:

new load development process (take press with you)
Brass prep (annealing, turning brass)
bullet sorting
Floating your dies with O-ring
Bore conditioning

if your getting frustrated with hand loading or want tighter groups, I would not hesitate to send him a PM, awesome guy.

Sorry guys...

Unfortunately from here on out I will no longer be giving verbal instruction pro-bono. Over 25 members have benefited from promptly taking advantage of this thread. I would like to thank all of you guys for your feed back and I intend to incorporate some of this feed back into the material I will be writing for my hands on in class training here in GA.

A big thank you to the one individual who I will not name for his generous gratuity via PayPal.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions regarding this post.