• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

TT Diamond vs SSA-E

346ci

FJB
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 26, 2010
    NC
    I've been using the SSA-E triggers for years, the gold standard for gas guns imo. I felt a few TT diamonds on some bolt actions that were very nice, wondering how they compare to the SSA-E. This is a DMR type AR..

Reactions: craigos
    Is the TT a 2 stage? That would be my first question? I love my SSA-E for AR

Reactions: camocorvette
    The TT diamond AR-trigger is better than the SSA-E for match type shooting. I have both along with a couple others and the TT is my favorite. The TT is a two stage, but the first stage in the TT diamond is very light (0.25 lbs), and the second stage weight is adjustable which is a major upgrade (1.25-3.75lb on the second stage). Not to mention the break on the TT is a little nicer. The Geissele national match match rifle is a better comparison, and I have one of those as well. It is a pain to install and adjust compared to the trigger tech, and the first stage is heavy for my liking. I am thinking of replacing it with another trigger tech diamond.

All that said, the SSA-E is less money. For the price, it is a good trigger (assuming ~$200 price tag). I use it on a hunting rifle where I do not need any adjustment and it does great. It is a more deliberate trigger pull, but that is a good thing for some rifles. I do not have one, but the TT adaptable might be worth a look as well for this application.

Pros trigger tech diamond- best AR-15 trigger I have used. Easily adjustable second stage weight, drop in unit, best break I have felt.

Pros SSA-E - Price, heavier first stage weight (if the application makes sense for this).

The TT diamond AR-trigger is better than the SSA-E for match type shooting. I have both along with a couple others and the TT is my favorite. The TT is a two stage, but the first stage in the TT diamond is very light (0.25 lbs), and the second stage weight is adjustable which is a major upgrade (1.25-3.75lb on the second stage). Not to mention the break on the TT is a little nicer. The Geissele national match match rifle is a better comparison, and I have one of those as well. It is a pain to install and adjust compared to the trigger tech, and the first stage is heavy for my liking. I am thinking of replacing it with another trigger tech diamond.

All that said, the SSA-E is less money. For the price, it is a good trigger (assuming ~$200 price tag). I use it on a hunting rifle where I do not need any adjustment and it does great. It is a more deliberate trigger pull, but that is a good thing for some rifles. I do not have one, but the TT adaptable might be worth a look as well for this application.

Pros trigger tech diamond- best AR-15 trigger I have used. Easily adjustable second stage weight, drop in unit, best break I have felt.

Pros SSA-E - Price, heavier first stage weight (if the application makes sense for this).
    Awesome, thanks. I will try a Diamond and see if the other SSA-E's need to be replaced.

Reactions: kyzim311
    I’ve had the TT competitive and SSA-E. Got rid of the TT because the first stage wasn’t there for my liking. To me the TT felt like a single stage. I preferred the SSA-E with a more distinctive first stage.

I wish triggertech would make a trigger with the adaptable first stage and diamond second stage. The diamond first stage is so light it hardly exists.

All my AR rifles use TT, and once you understand why they work the way they do you'll stop comparing them to 2-Stage triggers like the SSA-E.

IMO they are the finest Triggers on the Market, I always end up respringing the SSA-E with the JP triggers springs kit. Geissele triggers always feel great when they're clean but it doesn't take much to start feeling the grit in the first stage once they get some sand or dust in them. Geissele triggers work best when properly lubercated but the oil and grease attract the dirt and sand.

The TT require Zero lubercation so dirt and grime don't stick to the critical operating parts like the SSA-E.

There is absolutely no comparison to how clean and consistent the trigger break is on the TT. It's honestly going to come down to your preference and application, and if you buy a TT thinking it's a direct comparison to a 2-Stage you're never going to be happy because it's really Apple to Oranges between the two.

I’m not saying they’re bad triggers. I’m just saying buyer beware the first stage is non-adjustable for pull weight. And it’s not anywhere near a 50/50 ratio between first stage and second stage in regard to pull weight. When triggertech describes it like a 1911 style trigger, they mean hardly any weight required for first stage, and most of the weight is in the second stage. I understand different strokes for different folks. It would be great if the first stage was adjustable like their 700 style triggers.

The TT 1st stage is very short, very light, and takes some adjustment if you're used to Geissele or LaRue triggers. While I like the longer & more deliberate 1st stage of the LaRue and Geissele for general purpose rifles, I'm beginning to feel spoiled by my TT Competitive (3.5 lb fixed) and the TT Adaptable (2.5-5 lbs) in my Mock 12 and Grendel builds, respectively. Once I acclimated to the very short 1st stage, I feel much more confident when breaking a shot on the TT than I did with either of my old triggers (SSA, MBT-2S). I'll still be using the MBT on my CQB and HD rifles, but TT is now my preferred choice for anything related to precision shooting.

If you're hesitant to spend the money for the Diamond, I'd recommend the TT Adjustable that's on sale at Brownells right now:

Reactions: kyzim311
    I'll second or third what other's said.... TT are great triggers, but I prefer a heavier "1st" stage for general purpose rifles.

For me: TT > MBT-2S > SSA-E

I'm currently working on a .300blk SBR build for HD/Truck/Range and the TT Combat trigger is real tempting but before going that route I decided to check the hype on the MBT-2S flat. Also ordered an ALG ECT w/ JP springs just to see if I might like a single stage trigger better. Worst comes to worst I end up with the TT anyway so we'll see.

I haven't tried a TT Diamond, though I am fairly certain it is just a TT Adjustable with the black coating and minimum weight adjustment allowed to go lower. Oh, and they jacked the price again. I actually have one in my car right now, couriering it to a local buddy, so I might get to try one soon.

I have the adaptable version and keep them at/near the minimum pull. The diamond version may be worth the extra cost because of the light first stage pull.

I like a second stage pull of 2 lb, just like the MBT. So, with a first stage of 0.5 - 0.75 lb the total pull is 2.5 - 2.75 lb just at the bottom of the adaptable range.

Reactions: 346ci
    Here is a breakdown of all the TT AR-15 triggers.
    Screenshot_20210714-120257.png

Reactions: Neurotic
    All my AR rifles use TT, and once you understand why they work the way they do you'll stop comparing them to 2-Stage triggers like the SSA-E.

IMO they are the finest Triggers on the Market, I always end up respringing the SSA-E with the JP triggers springs kit. Geissele triggers always feel great when they're clean but it doesn't take much to start feeling the grit in the first stage once they get some sand or dust in them. Geissele triggers work best when properly lubercated but the oil and grease attract the dirt and sand.

The TT require Zero lubercation so dirt and grime don't stick to the critical operating parts like the SSA-E.

There is absolutely no comparison to how clean and consistent the trigger break is on the TT. It's honestly going to come down to your preference and application, and if you buy a TT thinking it's a direct comparison to a 2-Stage you're never going to be happy because it's really Apple to Oranges between the two.
    Thanks, I assume you referring to the Diamonds?

Four ARs, two with adaptables, one with a diamond, the last a competitive. Some are curved shoes, some flat. I run them all without the adjustment screw for the lightest they go.
    The biggest complaint from me and others is the reset. It's not as tactile and audible as other popular triggers. It's just a light click that you barely feel and hear. It is everything else people say it is though. Super light first stage, hard wall at second, and a crisp break.

My preference would probably be the adaptable with curved shoe. The diamond is maybe just a little light for my liking but it's in what I would call a Gucci gun range toy. Carbon fiber everything 12.5" 300BLK SBR I built for only subs. The competitive is in my 12.5" 5.56 SBR. The last two adaptable triggers in 16" rifles of the 7.62 and 300BLK varieties. I could see my self putting the diamond in like an 18"+ 6.5CM or 6ARC. Don't see my self building anything like that though.

I’m going to double down on what @bigjake83 said earlier. This discussion for sure is preference, you may end up disliking feeling of the 1st stage. That’s the most common the complaint I’ve heard on the TT. It’s light and drastically different than the SSE.
    I’ve used the heck out of the TT Diamond, primary and SSEs. In my opinion flat out the TT is the better of the two for precision match competitions. The break is clean, it feels very solid in the trigger housing, there’s no travel after the break, and with a little practice, I prefer the .25lb first pull weight.

If you’re thinking more of a close range, dynamic, fast shooting, defense or duty setup, I’d lean to the SSE. And I’ll admit, maybe the TT would be my choice but the proven reliability and heavier pull of the SSE I prefer in those type of setups.
    They’re both really good triggers so I doubt a first time buyer would be disappointed with either.

Last edited:
    I haven't tried a TT Diamond, though I am fairly certain it is just a TT Adjustable with the black coating and minimum weight adjustment allowed to go lower. Oh, and they jacked the price again. I actually have one in my car right now, couriering it to a local buddy, so I might get to try one soon.
    Brownells has the TT adjustable trigger on sale @$168 at least they did yesterday. Both my self and a buddy got one. Great trigger. But as noted the first stage hardly exists.

I've been using the SSA-E triggers for years, the gold standard for gas guns imo. I felt a few TT diamonds on some bolt actions that were very nice, wondering how they compare to the SSA-E. This is a DMR type AR..
    I’ve got a diamond in my gas gun and absolutely love it. Just my personal opinion.

Brownells has the TT adjustable trigger on sale @$168 at least they did yesterday. Both my self and a buddy got one. Great trigger. But as noted the first stage hardly exists.
    The weekend is here already, I would love to try them out this weekend.
    I will get one anyways, Thanks.

The biggest complaint from me and others is the reset. It's not as tactile and audible as other popular triggers. It's just a light click that you barely feel and hear. It is everything else people say it is though. Super light first stage, hard wall at second, and a crisp break.
    Agreed. The Diamond is a great precision trigger but I would argue it's a terrible speed trigger. The reset force is nonexistent, I gave it a good try and I couldn't break .17 second splits with it, and those were rare. Part of that is 2 stages always being slower for me but most of that is the worthless reset.

I bought one of the stars and stripes adaptable's, will see how it compares and might go for the diamond afterwards.

Also $165 shipped from the gun dock, never heard of them but cheapest I could find.

Reactions: JS8588
    Having played around a bit with a diamond I just picked up recently, I definitely have to agree with Jake. It runs more like a single stage than a true two stage trigger, but once you get used to it it's pretty nice!