• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes TT315M alternative, or the mid-range to rule them all?

Thanks. Is it removable? I’m thinking EH-1 and getting a rod to the bore w/o pulling the stock. I’ll check them out, maybe it could be applied with Dual Lock.

Here's one on my EH1

20180317_163004.jpg

Based on this thread and other info, I picked up a Premier LT 3-15x50 with XR reticle. I’m used to the P3 reticle so this one will take a while to get used to.
Now I gotta build a rifle to put it on.
You guys are nothing but enablers...

Reactions: thestacche
I've had the SKMR and SKMR3, I'm using the
What do you want to know? The TT is going to be tops in overall IQ, but the Kahles is no slouch. Kahles K318i is my favorite ultra short right now, I've had both Schmidt's Ultra Shorts and my favorite of the two was the 5-20, the K318i was better optically than my US 3-20 at the top end. TT focuses to 50y while Kahles goes to 25y, Kahles has top parallax and better illumination and a better reticle (until TT comes out with the Gen 3XR in the 315M). The TT is lighter but the Kahles is shorter. Kahles has 30 mil of elevation while TT has 12 mil after you zero, it is a double turn 6 mil turret. TT has wider FOV but stops at 15x while Kahles has less FOV but not bad and goes to 18x.
I have the k318, s and b us 3-20, and the tt315m.

While I like all of them, I prefer the glass on the tt and s and b over the kahles. To me, there also is a fairly significant difference in field of view over the kahles. What the tt provides in such a light package is without peer.

SKMR3 with the K318i. I like both, it is a tiny dot that sometimes gets lost though so the illumination helps there. My favorite tree reticle is the MR4 from Minox, I prefer the dots vs the solid lines in the tree section, but I can use both effectively.

While I like all of them, I prefer the glass on the tt and s and b over the kahles. To me, there also is a fairly significant difference in field of view over the kahles. What the tt provides in such a light package is without peer.

You make me want to try another S&B Ultra Short 3-20, the one I had was not as good as my Kahles K318i, I might have had a US that struggled a bit or a stellar copy of the K318i I don't know. True the FOV of the Schmidt is better but the resolution of the Kahles was enough to make the difference in its favor, that along with the much shorter body and reticle. Looks like the MSR2 reticles might be coming soon, maybe...

3 pages of scopes and no one mentioned the Henny 4-16? 30 oz, shorter than most scopes mentioned. Only downside is the single turn turret I guess, but I have it on 6 and 6.5s and don't use 14.5 mils too often.

You make me want to try another S&B Ultra Short 3-20, the one I had was not as good as my Kahles K318i, I might have had a US that struggled a bit or a stellar copy of the K318i I don't know. True the FOV of the Schmidt is better but the resolution of the Kahles was enough to make the difference in its favor, that along with the much shorter body and reticle. Looks like the MSR2 reticles might be coming soon, maybe...
I'm not sure. I guess it's possible. Do note that I looked through all of them sequentially at the same target on multiple occasions. Could be just how my eyes perceives them. Honestly, they are all fantastic, and the differences are small.

The Vortex PST Gen II 3-15x44 is a great value for what I snagged mine at 675.00 new.. But I grabbed this for some rimfire fun so a haven't beat it around through the woods and such but I like it so far. I had the NF 4-16x42 as well and it was a stellar optic, I just wasn't crazy about the way you set the zero stop.

Re: Hendoldt

...and reticle selection.

You can choose an h59 or a .2 mil hash reticle. I know everyone has their favorite designer reticles nowadays but those pretty much cover the bases for visible and usable at 4x while still functional and precise at 16x. A lot better than a g2xr which is pretty darn thin...

You can choose an h59 or a .2 mil hash reticle. I know everyone has their favorite designer reticles nowadays but those pretty much cover the bases for visible and usable at 4x while still functional and precise at 16x. A lot better than a g2xr which is pretty darn thin...
The Henny is one of the low light kings in this category, probably the closest competitor to the TT 315M but I am not thrilled with the reticles they offer; however, that is me and others may find them to their liking. Schmidt also now makes a FFP 4-16x56 Ultra Bright, but no idea how it compares to the Henny.

The Henny is one of the low light kings in this category, probably the closest competitor to the TT 315M but I am not thrilled with the reticles they offer; however, that is me and others may find them to their liking. Schmidt also now makes a FFP 4-16x56 Ultra Bright, but no idea how it compares to the Henny.

Gen2xr or gen2 mil dot
or
H59 or the excellent .2 mil hash hensoldt reticle. Or an older 4-16 with the awesome nh-1.

everyone likes their own reticles but there's a clear winner to me here ?

Gen2xr or gen2 mil dot
or
H59 or the excellent .2 mil hash hensoldt reticle. Or an older 4-16 with the awesome nh-1.

everyone likes their own reticles but there's a clear winner to me here ?
The MSR. Grin.

Reactions: mattwaage1

How does the 3-12 hensoldt stack up against the TT 315m in terms of low light performance? Have you seen any quality changes through the several ownership changes?

I "hunt" in the southeast, and it gets awful dark under the pines way before legal shooting time is up. The razor 2 has always handled it very well, but the thing is an absolute brick.

Last edited:
A Kahles K318i 3.5-18x50 mounted in a Scalarworks 34mm LEAP/SCOPE mount o_O

51395641_2550447168331114_43293038415446016_n.jpg
Dang if that's not a nice looking mount and I like the two bolt design, was about to call you about pricing but then saw that they have no canted mount options :unsure: Always frustrates me when companies only seem to focus on BDC scopes and offer some great looking mounts but with no canted options really limit themselves towards the long range crowd.

+1 and I happen to have a like new one for sale for a steal compared to buying new...
If Hensoldt were to make a 4-20x56, well now we're talking, but it would probably weigh a bit more than 30oz and cost quite a bit more than the current 4-16, but I've always had my eye on the 4-16x56 due to its lower weight and 56mm objective. That being said, I have done numerous low light tests with alpha glass at 50mm and 56mm and find it very hard to discern the difference - I think most alpha glass today is so good that the advantages the 56mm objectives used to have are not as apparent as they once were, yes, the physical difference and ensuing exit pupil cannot be overlooked, but neither can our eyes ability to adjust through the scotopic transition. Keep in mind this is for alpha quality glass which is, in large part, many of the scopes mentioned in this thread (I think anytime a thread is posted asking for alternatives to Tangent Theta you are mostly looking at alpha quality glass, or tier one or whatever you want to call the scopes that generally run above $3k).

Dang if that's not a nice looking mount and I like the two bolt design, was about to call you about pricing but then saw that they have no canted mount options :unsure: Always frustrates me when companies only seem to focus on BDC scopes and offer some great looking mounts but with no canted options really limit themselves towards the long range crowd.

Phil at Scalarworks makes awesome products, but it's a very small shop so he doesn't make a ton of new products very often.

Phil at Scalarworks makes awesome products, but it's a very small shop so he doesn't make a ton of new products very often.
Maybe you can influence him to consider a 20 MOA version :) Let him know there is definitely a market for it... the big problem with large frame AR's is that their top rail is 0 moa, so if you intend to shoot long range you either have to get a canted riser which makes a mount too high, or a canted mount which is just about ideal.

Oh I agree, but there are tons of great mounts out there :)
But very few with QD and a nice hinged design. We digress from the thread topic, sorry about that everyone.

How does the 3-12 hensoldt stack up against the TT 315m in terms of low light performance? Have you seen any quality changes through the several ownership changes?

I "hunt" in the southeast, and it gets awful dark under the pines way before legal shooting time is up. The razor 2 has always handled it very well, but the thing is an absolute brick.

I can't say how the Henny 3-12 stacks up, but I can tell you that years ago I had a Zeiss Diavari FL 4-16x50 that I thought was the pinnacle of optical excellence and then I bought a Premier LT 3-15x50 (the older sister of the TT315M) and was shocked (shocked I tell you ;)) with the improvement over the Zeiss. I liked the color of the Premier better, low light performance was a wee bit better with the Premier and resolution was maybe about on par, shooters talk about splitting hairs but those of us who like to split hairs find nuances that we tend to like. I would say this, don't just assume that a 56mm is going to be the low light king over a 50mm scope, I have seen some 56mm scopes perform inferior to some 50mm scopes in low light situations - bigger is not always better. That being said, the Hensoldt scopes have a reputation that few other scopes hold and I would not hesitate to recommend one if it fits what you're looking for, I almost pulled the trigger on a Henny 4-16x56 with NH-1 reticle a few years ago and part of me still wishes I would have.