• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Tubb reticle DTAC/DTR ?

toygunner

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 10, 2010
    south of I-80, Illinois
    Does anyone here have any experience behind one of David Tubb's reticles either the older DTAC or the current DTR. It has got me curious and just wanted a little input from someone who would be in the know.

Thanks

Re: Tubb reticle DTAC/DTR ?

I am expecting a scope from David any time now, he is having them laser engraved with the data at last word from him.

I have the details on the new reticle and sat with him in Sept about it. It's based on wind and DA and not MOA or Mils --- at least in short. It's a bit more detailed than that.

I'd PM 95LTZ

Jim has spent more time behind one of these than anyone I know and he is also one heck of a good shooter.

I know he likes the recticle.

David sent me an email with all the specs, reference material, and instructions. We spoke in length about it on the phone. David was way over my head until I read his material. I just curious how it works in the field for LR sniper matches.

I had an opportunity to look at it at a recent event. It is my understanding that it will be released on his website in Jan 2012.

David sent me his latest materials on the reticle, but I have not had a chance to go through them yet.

I did go over an earlier version of them a few months ago very thoroughly and I like the approach. That having been said, I have not had a chance to use a scope with his reticle, but I expect that I can pick up his system in reasonable comfort. The approach makes sense to me, but without actually testing it, It is hard to say of course.

ILya

I have been shooting one of the 1st generation scopes (S&B 4-16X PM) for five years, and it am very happy with it. A significant consideration is the reticle is tied to a particular bullet/velocity. After a significant amount of load tweaking I have found pointed DTAC 115’s @ 2925 fps to be ‘dead nuts on’ from 200-1500 yards. If, for whatever reason, I decided I wanted to shoot a bullet with a different BC, it would be back to the bench/range to try to figure out whether I could match the ballistic profile the scope is set up for.
    FWIW.
    Cheers,
    DC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: _9H_Cracka</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here are some pics of the reticle and scope:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2877935

Thing I always wonder when I see this is who is gonna go down range and set up the wind flags for you on the two way range the rifle and scope are intended for.</div></div>

Does anyone have any through the scope pictures of this reticle? The link listed above doesn't work anymore.

I have some experience with the DTR V2, this version (3-15x50, 30mm tube) is built for a trajectory with a .505 bc with MV's ranging from 2475-2675fps. I was originally exposed to the scope/reticule when I went through David's course late last year. I'm going to try to make this short and avoid verbally puking on you guys reading this.
    My assessment of the scope & reticule:
    The reticule appears to be busy at first glance, this is because it has a BDC (christmas tree), angle firing solution graph above the BDC, and a DA graph below the BDC. Don't let this be the deciding factor if you buy or not...
    The V2 is a FFP so the reticule tends to look busy when at lower powers (3-8) but is really nice when near full power. Like any "christmas tree" reticule, it takes some getting used to at first, you seem to get lost in the holds, but it's smooth sailing once you get it down. Wind holds are in 5mph increments up to 20mph, makes it easy to calculate wind, you don’t have to change speed from mph into MIL/MOA. You will crush whatever your target may be once you get the reticule down. The reticule is a well thought out design, suppose you forgot or didn’t have a chance to grab a kestrel, rangefinder and inclinometer, the DTR is set up so you could still operate using just the scope to calculate DA, range and use the inclinometer. That’s worst case scenario, hopefully you at least have a kestrel and LRF. Overall, the DTR is a 10 on the 1-10 scale.
    The turrets on the scope are the weak point to me, with that said, Premier makes solid scopes. Each click on the turret seems a little too close and is not deliberate enough, it’s a soft click so to speak. It is easy to sight in though because the turrets have caps to protect the them from inadvertently slipping once a good 200 yd sight in is done. You shouldn’t need to do any mechanical changes once you’ve acquired DOPE, which is the great thing about the scope/reticule combo.

-tf

P3310069.jpg

DTROverall.jpg

AFSCloseup.jpg

BDCCloseup.jpg

DACloseup.jpg

I forgot to mention above that I liked this scope so much that I bought one for my OBR but then decided to bring it with me on deployment and mount it on my SCAR. My pics aren't the best quality but they should help... And I do not work for David, just a satisfied customer.

-tf

I'm sure you will not be disappointed. Is George running the DTR in competitions now?

Go to page 23 on the link below, it has a picture of the old DTAC reticle, I don't believe that one is available or in production any more. That is the old DTAC reticle, the current DTR has been refined and is less busy.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/34286008/NewHandbookStandardReticlePatterns-Ver8-NEW

Just so it's clear to other readers, the pictures I posted are of the new DTR V2 (designed by David) made by Premier.

-tf