• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tubb T7T Trigger

kthomas

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2009
Tucson, AZ
Looking for feedback on this trigger. Have seen very few reviews on this trigger, though everything I have seen online up to this point has been positive.

If you have experience with this trigger, how did/do you like it? How does it compare to other 2-stage triggers that are currently on the market?

I have one in a Bighorn TL2 action and really like it. Easy to tune 1st and 2nd stages, nice blade design, no over-travel.... I have it in a AICS and did need to do some relieving to make it fit, but that can be the case with many triggers. I also have a TRG and AT308 with 2-stage triggers, and the Tubb is my favorite so far.

I have a Tubb in my rifle. I like it so far. I don't have anything to compare it to other than a match tuned M14 trigger. A friend has one as well, he sold his Huber 2 stage after he bought and tried the Tubb.

I went from a Jewell to the T7T, and have zero regrets. Fantastic trigger, and it's been in some pretty big dust bowls and hasn't let me down yet.

Appreciate the feedback everyone.

I currently have my rifle at the gunsmith's to get this trigger installed. This trigger is definitely not a drop in trigger for my setup, have had to file the thing down a decent amount to get it to fit my action (Defiance/Templar), and there is also some stock work required (and possibly DBM work). After fighting with the trigger for hours I decided it was time to take it to a 'smith.

I have a couple of gunsmith friends (one of which currently has my rifle), and neither speak too highly of this trigger. It's good to hear that there is still happy users of this trigger, that gives me some hope.

There seems to be very little feedback on this trigger online, perhaps due to the amount of work in can take to get it to fit, and after talking to my gunsmith friends I didn't have a whole lot of hope for the trigger.

Just found out that my trigger is "out of adjustment range", and needs to be sent back to Tubb. The trigger will not release the firing pin when pulling the trigger, until after multiple attempts and upon releasing pressure on the trigger. Other times, the firing pin will be released upon closing the bolt. My gunsmith called Tubb and they want the trigger back to work on it.

So far this trigger has been a bit of a hassle to install, hopefully I will forget all about it once I get to fondle the trigger some.

What is it your gunsmith friends have against this trigger? Is it because it's a two stage? I'd really like to know.

The biggest gripe seems to be against the design of the trigger. Gunsmith friend #1 & #2 both think that the trigger is designed poorly due to the amount of work it can take on the rifle and trigger to get it to potentially fit some rifles. At the end of the day not a huge deal if you are prepared to get the work done to your rifle to get it to fit. It would be nice though if Tubb was a bit more upfront on the work required to get it to fit into a defiance action. It certainly takes a lot more than 3-4 passes with a file.

Gunsmith #1 has a personal preference for triggers such as the Bix 'n Andy. He feels that it is a better feeling trigger than the T7T - this is subjective and a personal preference thing.

Gunsmith #2 has had to send a couple of the triggers back for refunds. He did not specify what the issues were (nor did I press him on it), but did allude to the fact that in some cases, this trigger just won't work for certain setups. He also mentioned the fact that he knows a few people who have ordered these triggers, yet he doesn't know a single person that is still using the trigger. Again, alluding to the fact that people have moved on to other triggers. For whatever reason, I don't know.

I have a good friend who absolutely loves this trigger, and that is the reason why I got it in the first place. Obviously there are people happy with this trigger, that is apparent through this thread and the few other posts online on the T7T. The first I ever heard of any negative feedback on this trigger was from gunsmith friend #1 & #2. It's not enough to completely discourage me, but it does give me pause. Like them, I am a bit frustrated about the amount of work required to get this trigger to work so far. At the end of the day though, I'll be a happy consumer if I feel the same way about the T7T trigger as my one friend does, and if Tubb handles the replacement of my current trigger well.

In no way is this post meant to throw mud at Tubb or his products. Tubb makes stuff that works and works well, and his products are generally pretty well thought out and have a good design. Whenever I'm looking for a product, I look to see if Tubb produces it before I pursue other avenues. I have a few of his other products, and I am pretty happy with all of them (jury still out on T7T). I am going to remain optimistic about the T7T trigger, and I'm sure that I will be pleased at the end of the day. If not, there are other great 2 stage triggers available.

Reactions: northern50
Mine took a good bit of fitting, but I expected that. My biggest gripe with the trigger, and it's very minor but annoying, is the bolt release is cheaply made and seems like an afterthought. It doesn't work very well, and needed quite a bit of work to make it work ok.

I agree that triggers are mostly a personal preference. And some people change their triggers almost as much as some change optics. I was just wondering if there were any serious flaws with them aside from the fitting aspect.

I have one on my 338 LM in an XLR chassis. Had to remove a little material in the trigger well but other than that I like it a lot

I have one on a Defiance Deviant and I love it. It did take some fitting to make it work in a KRG but it is a super tunable trigger that can be set to single or two stage and breaks super clean. I also like that it was designed to work in dusty/real world situations. It's not cheap and might take a little bit of work to fit but IMO it's totally worth it!

I've had the Tubb, Jewel, CG Extreme and Timney. Of those, I'd never buy the Tubb again. It took way too much effort to fit it, and when it was fit, the trigger was not repeatable. The pull weight varied and it never had the feel of the other triggers I've listed.

My gunsmith got the trigger back from Tubb and supposedly it's still not working. He is going to call Tubb tomorrow.

In the meantime, any other user adjustable 2 stage triggers that I should be looking at (as a backup plan)?

My gunsmith got the trigger back from Tubb and supposedly it's still not working. He is going to call Tubb tomorrow.

In the meantime, any other user adjustable 2 stage triggers that I should be looking at (as a backup plan)?

I'm running the Timney 2 stage and it's decent. The last Match I was at, I tried the Tubb trigger on a buddies rifle and it was the second best two stage trigger I have used, first being Sako TRG.
Just another opinion.
Scott

Is your Smith still having the same issues, or is it a different issue now? Mine took a bit of adjusting and tuning to get it set correctly, and for take up and weight for each stage. What are the issues he's having now? Details of the problem might let us help you resolve them.

Last edited:
Trigger still is not working with my rifle.

When working the bolt, it will rarely cock the firing pin. On the times that it does lock the firing pin, simply pulling the trigger won't release the firing pin - you have to wiggle the trigger a bit before the firing pin will release. If you have the safety ON while racking the bolt, the firing pin will cock, but will release as soon as you touch the bolt handle.

​​​​​​We've tried all the different settings on the trigger, nothing works. Going to try something else now, I'm thinking Huber or Bix n Andy 2 stage trigger.

You might ask your smith to see if he has a basic Rem700 to try the trigger on. If it doesn't work on that you may have gotten a lemon and need to swap it.

I am a big 2 stage trigger fan, and the Tubb is my favorite behind an Anschutz. Be prepared to mill on your stock/chassis to make it fit, but other than that it is excellent.

Trigger still is not working with my rifle.

When working the bolt, it will rarely cock the firing pin. On the times that it does lock the firing pin, simply pulling the trigger won't release the firing pin - you have to wiggle the trigger a bit before the firing pin will release. If you have the safety ON while racking the bolt, the firing pin will cock, but will release as soon as you touch the bolt handle.

​​​​​​We've tried all the different settings on the trigger, nothing works. Going to try something else now, I'm thinking Huber or Bix n Andy 2 stage trigger.

Are you missing your sear spring?

The Tubb t7t has run flawlessly for me very happy with it... took a little bit of relief with a dremel in the front to get it to fit but that was expected. I ran this trigger for 4000 rounds of abuse in matches and practice (high desert) rain, snow, fine dust with high wind and never cleaned it once or took my barreled action out of the chassis. Just put a new barrel on and ready to go another season