• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tula 5.56 ammo?

tomcat mv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2011
Anybody have a report on the 5.56 Tula cheap ammo performance? I am thinking about buying a 500 rd. pack to feed thru my S&W MP-15 just for plinking.

Re: tula 5.56 ammo?

I have run a bunch of Tula .308 in my M1A--it is good stuff, for what it is.

I have not had any problems with it for plinking. I've never shot it off a bench but it is accurate enough for my needs.

I'm pretty sure it is a lead core.

I ran about 150-200rds through my AR15. The best "groups" I got were at about 1.5MOA with most hovering at around 1.75-2. Every time I pulled the trigger, the gun went bang. The only issues I had were two FTE which was frustrating. I now only run brass ammunition.

.223 Remington, TulAmmo, 55 Grain Full Metal Jacket Bullet, 20 Round Box.

Manufactured at the Tula Cartridge works in Russia.
Polymer coated steel case.
Boxer-primed.
Bimetal jacket (copper over steel) will attract a magnet.
Non corrosive.
Non reloadable.

Non-returnable item.
Muzzle velocity: 3241 fps.
Uses: Target Shooting, Training, Plinking.

Runs fine in my wife's DD. Never had any issues.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: slate84</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Muzzle velocity: 3241 fps.
</div></div>

BS. Tula is underpowered.

Much thanks. Would it be unrealistic to expect moderately good accuracy? I intend to run it as an alternative load in an inherently accurate Stag Model 6H Super Varminter. The primary load would likely be Hornady 75 Steel Match.

Greg

Don't know if you want to order some, but SGAmmo has your Tulas at $395/2000.

I would be wary if you have a longer barrel it wont cycle with my 20" bull barrel.

I picked up 500 rds. of the 75 grain yesterday for $115. Will let ya'll know how it works as soon as I can get out to the range.

I've run about 1500 rounds through my 16" middy and 14.5" middy. Its a little underpowered for the 14.5 middy, but it will run so long as its lubed. Its very dirty and shoots about 2 MOA or so from the bench.

I've ran a couple of thousand rounds of Tula through my SBR uppers (noveske 12.5" and MRP 10.5") without issues both suppressed and non.

The biggest thing is to remember to clean the chamber well before running brass cased ammo in it afterwards. The steel doesn't provide as good of a chamber seal as brass and lets additional gunk into it. When you go to run brass cased ammo afterwards you might end up with a stuck case.

For less than $0.20 a round it's definitely the cheapest thing going for plinking and close range work. I run it in carbine matches and don't have issues as long as I lube properly.

I picked up 1000 rounds a couple months ago and have run about 500 through a Bushmaster .223 / 5.56, w/ 16" barrel. Its alright ammo for plinking. I wouldnt recommend it for anything else.
Like others said, it's dirty and not the most accurate. I just ran 60 rounds through the gun this morning, slow fire, with no problems.
I have had a few casings over expand and stick in the chamber to where a bore rod was needed to remove them.
Some days its tempermental and others it runs fine through my rifle.

I bought some and ended up throwing most of it in a campfire just for shits and giggles..
It made a LOT of people shit..
I giggled.

seriously, why?
You but a quality rifle or build one then put shit through it?
really?
federal m193 55 grain goes for 299.00 per case shipped all day long on several sites.
my .02

FTEs are common with the chamber getting dirtier, but also expect the occasional popped primer and associated problems with that issue.
Overall, it depends on your trade-off of quality vs quantity.

Russian steel case ammo tends to work decently in SBRs, as it is underpowered and you don't have as bad of issues with timing and overpressure.

that stuff won't cycle three of my Ar's and is fairly underpowered in the other 4, I just run it in the sig556 and HK33
hope this helps.

OK, good to know. When I give it a try, I'll be working with a smaller stash to begin with.

I have been buying the 55gr stuff at Wal-mart for $4.97 here are there. I have about 700rds of it now, and have shot maybe 300rds.

It's basically the same as any other steel cased ammo from Russia. I had a rim break off in my SLR-106fr which was a surprise, but otherwise it's decent. Good for practice.

I have 750 rounds through my M&P Sport, and haven't had a single issue with any of it. The Tula has provided enough accuracy from 50 to 150 yards busting clay pigeons that it was alot of fun.

Cheapest stuff out there at the moment, and I just received another 500 rounds of it yesterday. I will continue to use it as long as it is running and costing so little. Good times!!

DK

I picked up 100rds tonight at Walmar. I'd damn sure never run it thru one of my nicer bolt guns, but it's worked fine in my AR's. I've did a couple a 20rd dumps just to see if it'd FTF/FTE and I've never had a issue with it yet.

I had a lot of FTEs with that stuff. Replaced the extractor with a beefier spring and that took care of it.

I've been shooting it for a while. Yeah it's dirty but it runs fine in my rifle. Out of several hundred rounds, I've had one malfunction and I'm not sure it was ammo related. I buy quality ammo too but I shoot a lot of this because of the price. It groups ok for me.
These two didn't notice that it was the cheapest ammo Wallyworld sells. That little 55gr fmj to the side of the head worked.
hogpic.jpg

Good thread, I discovered this stuff on Sunday and bought a hundred rounds. The 60 I ran through my SCAR CQC ran fine, but I haven't found anything to make that gun stop yet either.

On the other hand, I did not know it was steel core. I shoot mostly AR500 targets and don't want to ruin them. Anyone know the effects of this stuff on AR500?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomf</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody have a report on the 5.56 Tula cheap ammo performance? I am thinking about buying a 500 rd. pack to feed thru my S&W MP-15 just for plinking. </div></div>

I've used Tula, Wolf, Golden Tiger, and Brown/Silver Bear. I have found that the Brown/Silver Bear is the most accurate. You can expect at least 2.5 moa. 2-3 is typical with a 1.5 every now and than with Bear. With the others mentioned above I have achieved mostly 3+ moa including Tula. The Silver Bear version for about $10 more per 500 is the cleanest cheap Russian ammo I have ever tried(zinc plated steel case.) This holds true for 5.56, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r and 5.45. Haven't tried Golden Bear yet (brass plated). Also haven"t tried 7.62x51nato Russian ammo.