• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuner Brakes

Very assumptive on your part. Its a shame when someone has to mock and put down others to feel better about their miserable self. All the awards and medals are cool, but a dick personality cancels all that in my book. G...F...Y...S. Done with you. Life is too short for fing about with trolls.
Hey, if you're going to continue to test, have at it, that's a good thing in my book.
The medals aren't mine, that's a pic of David Tubb & his achievements. He is a world class shooter & very accomplished. He also sells some pretty cool gear he designed over the years for long range shooting.
Anyhow, I sincerely hope the tuner works out for you.

Very assumptive on your part. Its a shame when someone has to mock and put down others to feel better about their miserable self. All the awards and medals are cool, but a dick personality cancels all that in my book. G...F...Y...S. Done with you. Life is too short for fing about with trolls.

And this is how you turn what could be fairly polite discussion and debate into this.

(Not you, the “victim” who never instigates things, you just happened to be who I quoted)

You can have all the data or logic in the world. Once you piss people off, this is how they will react. And justifiably.

Reactions: LRJammer
For anyone interested in actual dispersion, here’s a great example and explanation.

Interpret how you will. Long term data suggests an SD of 30%.

Attachments

• 8211C195-858C-4043-8D7B-2180486D0AA6.jpeg
    8211C195-858C-4043-8D7B-2180486D0AA6.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 118
  • CD6F7C44-DBFF-4D18-A094-BEFA00D5B8FF.jpeg
    CD6F7C44-DBFF-4D18-A094-BEFA00D5B8FF.jpeg
    748.2 KB · Views: 113
Here is an example of a load that got messed up when going from single stage development to the dillon.

Within the first 9 shots I knew something was wrong.

The load had been worked up with the EC tuner brake set at 1 .
I had got a few tight tests with 25.3g of H335 and decided it was time to get the dillon rocking and test the tuner setting.

It was an oh shit moment when setting # 1 was crap. The tuner got the rounds back under controll and usable but no nice round tests.
They were stringing togeather and I don't like that.

When I got home I checked the dillon and it was throwing 25.2g which I suspect is the very bottom beginning of where it gets good.
My equipment only reads to 0.1gr

It will be redone, and those remaining rounds still are not horrible but I really wanted some nice groups to show off. Lol

Anyway not scared to show some mistakes along the way.
Ar, 50 yards heavy bags and my 12 cent bullets.

20220826_210509.jpg

Edit: That's a reason I use 3 shots instead of just the two, to help check for stringing.

Reactions: pyrotechnic
Here is an example of a load that got messed up when going from single stage development to the dillon.

I had got a few tight tests with 25.3g of H335 and decided it was time to get the dillon rocking and test the tuner setting.

It was an oh shit moment when setting # 1 was crap. The tuner got the rounds back under controll and usable but no nice round tests.

When I got home I checked the dillon and it was throwing 25.2g which I suspect is the very bottom beginning of where it gets good.

It will be redone, and those remaining rounds still are not horrible but I really wanted some nice groups to show off. Lol

View attachment 7946567

Edit: That's a reason I use 3 shots instead of just the two, to help check for stringing.
Shoot another 8 or 10, 3 shot groups on one setting only to see if that looks much different to adjusting the tuner every 3 shots.

View attachment 7946567

Would you be willing to shoot a 30 round group each using your best and "worst" settings from above with that ammo? Sounds like you loaded a bunch of it on a dillon. I'll paypal you for the cost of primers, bullets and powder if you'd like.

^^ odd request.
The remaining rounds from that run have been tossed into the pumpkin blaster pile.

Today I only had time to load some 45 hardball. I should have time the next couple of days to tweek the powder drop on the dillon.

I doubt I do any 30 round groups because it will compleatly take out the center if it shoots like it did on the single stage / chargemaster loads.

It would be possible to overlay groups and get the same data I suppose.

Maybe I might play with seating depth just for fun but it is so easy to just dial it in.

The pile of Frontier range brass I worked up was also probably not the best choice but I had hundreds of them.

It was just an experiment in plinkers that I OCD'ed on. Lol

As soon as I get another 100 loaded with the better charge weight I'll post them. If they produce (round) groups I'll shoot a few more if I can.

Next will be 69g smk's should be fun.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a tuner brake and tested it using factory 6.5 cm ammo specifically, Hornady 140 gr ELDM. My test didn't convince me to continue with the tuner brake. To be fair, I may not of conducted the test correctly given my unfamiliarity with the tuner. I'm interested in knowing what others think about whether a tuner brake is worth using with factory ammo ?

I recently purchased a tuner brake and tested it using factory 6.5 cm ammo specifically, Hornady 140 gr ELDM. My test didn't convince me to continue with the tuner brake. To be fair, I may not of conducted the test correctly given my unfamiliarity with the tuner. I'm interested in knowing what others think about whether a tuner brake is worth using with factory ammo ?
How did you conduct your tuning? I just used my ATS tuner with the same ammo the other day and tuned in fine in my rifle.

How did you conduct your tuning? I just used my ATS tuner with the same ammo the other day and tuned in fine in my rifle.
I was using an EC tuner break and shot 3 round groups on settings 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10 at 102 yards. Several of the groups were better than my usual groups (1/2" or a little better) but it didn't seem to warrant keeping it on the rifle. As a side note, my experience is no reflection on the tuner break, it is very well made and I'm sure it would be put to better use on reloaded ammo.

I was using an EC tuner break and shot 3 round groups on settings 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, & 10 at 102 yards. Several of the groups were better than my usual groups (1/2" or a little better) but it didn't seem to warrant keeping it on the rifle. As a side note, my experience is no reflection on the tuner break, it is very well made and I'm sure it would be put to better use on reloaded ammo.

So the tuner only has one rotation of 10 settings?

Most people can learn to make reloads that will outperform factory ammo.

I belive Hornady makes it easier.

It's kind of relevant to what group size was without tuner to begin with for a base evaluation.

Reactions: Rob01
You can make at least 2 revs with an EC TB .
10 engraved numbers with half settings engraved between.

Normally for me the 1/2 setting incrament gets used to change a small vertical or horizontal "string" to a more rounded group.

Edit:
The settings are not click style you can place it anywhere in between.
I don't think I can shoot good enough to split that further with my skill and equipment.

I have delayed the 69g test for next week so my arthritis can calm down. Makes my groups smaller I think.

Last edited:
You can make at least 2 revs with an EC TB .
10 engraved numbers with half settings engraved between.

Normally for me the 1/2 setting incrament gets used to change a small vertical or horizontal "string" to a more rounded group.

So he only went one rotation? Does stopping at each mark show anything or can you do every other to get an idea and fine tune from there? With my ATS and a heavier barrel I dial 4 marks. There are about 24 marks in one rotation.

Reactions: Snuby642
Well I'd like to hear the result of before and after in moa of his test.

Evidently your tuner and mine are marked similar 20 Mark's vs 24.

You can certainly skip numbers on the tuner till you get close.

However if you have done a ladder test down to 0.1gr (seating depth can be used) and that is a done deal you can start on the tuner.
I do ladder test at whatever setting was on the tuner for last use if within normal fot that gun.

My normal practice is 3 range trips barring problems 4 if seating test is viable (ar, not as much play space)

Trip 1 powder in 0.3g inc.
Trip 2 powder in 0.1g inc to varify.
Trip 3 seating depth (sometimes skipped)
Trip 4 usualy load 50-100 if has broke into 1 moa range and tune.

EC said a few things I thought pretty much was just showing off or bragging by one of the elite players.

He said you could do charge tests with 2-3 shots per charge.
I can with 3 and it works.

He said you can tune with 2 shots per setting till you finalize.
If the first 2 look bad I move on.
3 or 5 will not make 2 bad shots any better for short run load development.

My next ladder I think has 4 per load loaded. Not sure why I bothered with 4?

I'm talking factory ammo as that is all I have used the tuner on.

If groups were a little better, what warranted to remove it. Does it look bad? Too heavy?. I’m just curious.

If groups were a little better, what warranted to remove it. Does it look bad? Too heavy?. I’m just curious.
I just didn't develop a sense of confidence with the tuner break. There seemed to be too many variables. I have an Area 419 Hellfire match break that once it's on, that's it.

I just didn't develop a sense of confidence with the tuner break. There seemed to be too many variables. I have an Area 419 Hellfire match break that once it's on, that's it.
I understand that completely.

Personally I think that's smart.