• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing tungsten bullets for hunting

totenkopf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 10, 2009
Gents, new on the board but I've been around a while. Very good forum so far.
Anyway, thought some might be interested in tungsten bullets and their effect on game. Lung shot a 300 lb mule deer this year with a DRT (old Powell River design)200 grain 30 cal projectile from 300 yards and it dropped on the spot...DRT (dead right there). Used a custom Rem chambered to .300wm. With a muzzle velocity of 2800+/- the bullet didn't exit the deer and the terminal effect was extreme.

Anyone have any experience with tungsten bullets?

Mark

Reactions: larry tungsten
Re: tungsten bullets for hunting

If it was a solid W core, unless a miracle occurred, the bullet would have exited the animal. Sintering would have made it a "solid" W core. The DRT website says the bullet cores are compressed but not sintered.

I don't see how it couldn't contaminate a lot of meat. And right now there's a controversy going on as to whether W is carcinogenic. NOT ONLY THAT but W is really really hard and if you bit down on it.... Of course it probably wouldn't hurt anymore than if you bit down on a piece of lead.

Long rod penetrators fired from the main gun of M1A1s have been made with either depleted uranium (DU) or tungsten. The army was trying to get away from DU because, of course, it's radioactive.

FWIW, I am a bit familiar with the .308 and the .300 WM loadings of the original PR product. Although, I may not choose it for deer hunting, I have seen the effect of these rounds and unless you see it for yourself you may not believe it. Effective is a word that comes to mind. Did I mention effective?

I am sure that there are at least a couple more people on this board that are familiar with the PR or the now produced DRT round...LOL