• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Tuning an ar for accuracy

Its only light

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Hey guys got a general question here. I just got my 1st ar up and running. Gotta say after shooting bolt guns my whole life I really enjoy shooting my ar.

My question is this. Now that its all built and ready to go are there any little tricks or anything at all I can do to aid accuracy. Its not like its not accurate (1.25" at 100yds 5 shot group). Im actually satisfied with that especially for what I have in it but I like working on guns so if there is anything I can or should do I want to.

If needed I can post a list of parts I used to build this gun. I may be barking up the wrong tree here. Common sense tells me i probably need to do some upgrading of parts to make any noticeable diffetence but thought id see what everybody else has to say.

On a side note what is the idea behind the accu wedge or whatever its called and does it make a difference?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I forgot to mention my main concern is the fit between the upper and lower. There is a slight gap by the forward assist where the upper and lower mate. How big of a deal is this really? Ive seen an adjustable take down pin kit thst I believe lets you adjust this.

Would that make any real world difference?

The rattle between the halves shouldn't make a hole buch differance. You could try some O-rings on the attach tabs to snug it up if it bothers you.

Honestly, if you are getting 1.25" now, your off to a good start. You may just need more trigger time with the AR platform to learn the differences in it and a common bolt gun. A GOOD trigger is always a must...I am not sure what you are using currently. I used an ALG Defense (tuned by Geiselle) with the JP Yellow spings and adjustable grip screw. I like it...

You may just need to learn the rifle to let it become more natural for you.

Great link!

Well i will list my specs here. Keep in mind this was a budget build. What prompted me to build this is I got a complete psa lower from my dad for $130. Its not a blem model. So I started with that. My upper is made up of the following.

Hfl upper (random ass upper)
Wilson combat recon 1-8 16" barrel
Cheap low pro gas block
Standard charging handle
Noveske nsr handguard
Ptac bcg

I will say the trigger leaves alot to be desired but I expected that given the price.

You are probably right. Im not nearly as comfortable shooting this as my bolt guns. YET...

Interesting. I think I may do that. Hellvof alot cheaper than most of the aftermarket options. I appreciate the info!

I have a fairly cheap bcg right now. Would it be beneficial to put something a little nicer in?

The looseness in the receivers won't necessarily affect the GUN's accuracy, but it CAN affect the SHOOTER's accuracy. One of my AR's has had one of those rubber wedges in it for over 10 years with no problems. Just had to trim it a bit so it was just barely a tight fit. A foam earplug will do about the same thing.

As long as your gun FUNCTIONS correctly I don't really see where you'll get much TANGIBLE accuracy improvement by replacing the BCG, but my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

A decent trigger and AMMO THAT YOUR GUN LIKES is where the most bang for your buck is with accuracy improvement, IMO. Loading your own will net you big rewards in this area.

Don't clean your barrel to death once you have established that copper fouling is not the problem. By all means, if you think fouling IS the problem then clean it real good ONCE, but if it doesn't improve your accuracy go on to other things. Sometimes a barrel won't shoot well until it has a few dozen rounds through it IME.

DON'T take my word for all this, these other guys are far more knowledgable than I. I'm no competition shooter or anything, just a guy who likes to work with his POS AR's and get the most out of cheap guns without spending a fortune. YMMV

Here's one helluva thread on your subject here: http://www.snipershide.com/[email protected]

Better trigger that breaks clean (biggest thing), Giessele SSA-E, Chip McCormick or Timney for single stage type, or a used RRA 2 Stage maybe

Better buttstock if you are using the M4 rattley type, I like Magpuls like CTR/STR/ACR etc, maybe B5 Sopmod

If you haven't developed a handload for it yet now's the time

Holding 1.2" right now I'd think those 3 above things would get you down to an inch or better at 100 yards.

Ive tried a bunch of different good ammo but havent actually done any loading for it. My goal was to find factory ammo that shot decent through it so I didnt have to try to keep up with a semi auto.

Im somewhat of a perfectionist when it comes to my ammo and I already load for a bunch of bolt guns and time is hatd to come by.

That being said I just bought a dillon 650 progressive with 223, 9mm, and 45acp setups. Ive never used a press like this and im hoping I can achieve the same quality of ammo from it as I do with my single stage.

By just replacing the super crappy trigger I got in a Palmetto lower parts kit I was able to cut my group size in half. I went with the CMC because it was a good deal cheaper than what most of you guys spend on triggers. I just built another AR and have in it a DPMS lower parts kit and the trigger, while having a very heavy pull, actually breaks quite cleanly with very little creep. It's more of a zombie gun so I'll keep that trigger. But, I'd start on the trigger, then move on from there if you like.

Thats probably what I will do. The trigger in mine is close to garbage. Ive never done it but I was thinking of trying to polish up the parts and see what that gives me. I do work with metal for a living. Ive trued up a few of my own actions in our toolroom at work. Never tried any trigger work mainly cuz I dont want to ruin them but since I will most likely buy a new one I may as well mess with this one.

What do you think of the cmc? Ive been looking at it mostly because of the price. Im sure most anything will be a step up. Im used to pretty light pulls in my bolt guns so any of the ar triggers are going to feel heavy but as long as it doesnt feel gritty as hell like my psa I will be happy

1. Better ammo is the easiest upgrade. Because most ammo truly, truly stinks in the accuracy department.

2. Even with "perfect" ammo, you can't make an AR' shoot better than its barrel will shoot.

3. Or the shooter.

Well looks like im going to have to try some handloads. The only 223 suitable powder I have is benchmark. Anyobe using this or should I look for something else? Any recommendations?

Well looks like im going to have to try some handloads. The only 223 suitable powder I have is benchmark. Anyobe using this or should I look for something else? Any recommendations?

I've seen some H322 for sale recently, it's my go to powder for all but one of my ARs.

I'm certainly not a pro but I will second the trigger needing to be better that made a world of difference for me..

On another note how does your gas block attach to the barrel? I have seen a few claims that the set screw style will cause issues.. Hopefully the more experienced will chime in on this.. I currently still wonder if it makes much of a difference myself.

Go with a better trigger first.....then work on the best load development for your gun. After that I'd look at aftermarket "accuracy" items.

If you're getting 1.25" groups, you're a better shooter than I am, but I'll tell you what I recently did that helped my AR accuracy by leaps and bounds. I replaced my SIG 516's stock 8lb trigger with a Geissele SSA-E trigger. Hands down the best $250 I ever spent on a firearm upgrade. It really is as good as everyone raves about. The second was finding the right kind of ammo for my rifle. I took 6 kinds (brands and weights) of "match" ammo to the range on Friday, and my gun has a huge preference for 77 grain Black Hills SMK. It shot way more consistent than my previous favorite, 75 grain Hornady TAP. I don't reload, so my goal was to find the most accurate commercial load for my gun, and I think I have. I still need to try the Black Hills SMK 69 grain, but so far their 77 is tops. Fortunately the 77 grain SMK had close enough to identical POI to the 75 TAP, which is nice since the TAP is the duty ammo I get at work.

I won't put up the photo, since it doesn't really "count", but out of a 4 shot group, I had one flier that was like 4" high, and the other three bullets were within .8". I'm going to go back out when I get more ammo and try for some 5 and 10 shot groups, but I have high hopes. This was at 100 yards, with an ACOG 3.5x35, from a Harris bipod. With more bullets, I'm sure the group would have opened up a bit, but still, much better than the 3 to 4" groups I've been shooting before.

Last edited: