• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Turd Polishin'

Turd in the Pool

Previously RJBGuns00 ;-)
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2006
Austin Texas
Found this puppy at a local shop and decided it would make a good project. Spent way more time on it than it is worth but it should make a good pig shooter.

I just thought about my 99 tonight. Mine is chambered in308 and has a steel tube weaver with rings that allow the scope to be knocked out of the way for use of irons. My granddaddy hunted with it in AK during the early 60's. I was thinking I ought to work a load up for it. Thank you for the reminder. Great job on the rifle btw.

I have a couple 99's. Both made in 1917. One is a 250 Sav that is a takedown that my Great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, and wife learned to shoot with. The other is a 30-30 that I picked up a few years ago.

I just thought about my 99 tonight. Mine is chambered in308 and has a steel tube weaver with rings that allow the scope to be knocked out of the way for use of irons. My granddaddy hunted with it in AK during the early 60's. I was thinking I ought to work a load up for it. Thank you for the reminder. Great job on the rifle btw.

Thanks. I've never been a real fan of them but this one just looked like it needed a little love. Seems like it appreciated it. ;-)

I have a couple 99's. Both made in 1917. One is a 250 Sav that is a takedown that my Great-grandmother, grandmother, mother, and wife learned to shoot with. The other is a 30-30 that I picked up a few years ago.

Yes, the oldies are the goodies. I'm more of a Winchester fan but yrs ago I fitted several bbls to a takedown for a guy including an 870 410. Kind of what inspired me to buy this one. Doubt I will do the 410 but I have some 22-250 takeoffs so one may end up fitted to it.

That's a fine-looking rifle. I was just talking to a buddy of mine about Savage 99s last week. We both agreed that they'd make for an interesting project if found for a reasonable cost, but man, it seems like people have gotten pretty stupid about asking (and selling) prices 'round these parts.

I'd love something like this in .338 Fed as well as .260 Rem.

Thanks for the comps guys ;-)

Yes, Mr. Bryant. It's nuts what they are bringing. Had to give 3 bills for it. Only way I could justify it was the peep sight. (and it was missing the aperture and bent in an oval) My guess is, it is now worth what I gave for it. But I'll leave that up to who ever ends up with it when I'm gone, ;-)

3ShotgroupAt50y6mmBRtext.jpgSav99takedown6mmBRa.jpg
In 2004 I got a 1917 Sav 99 take down 250Sav at a gun show for $175.
I got a benchrest 6mmPPC take off barrel from Ebay for $75
I drilled and tapped for scope, put the bull barrel on and chambered for 6mmBR.
I only fired a dozen or two rounds in 2007 when I shot it, but it did a 0.1" 3 shot at 50yards and a 0.3" 3shot at 100 yards.

It needs some checkering.

Yes I thought about that. Decided against it because the lever is an anchor and even though I made the forend oversized, there isn't much there. It took the better part of a week to make the stocks and fix the lever and sight. Can't justify throwing any more time at it.

Nice job Clark! Looks like a keeper ;-)

RJB,
If you go to 24HCF savage collectors
Savage Collectors - 24hourcampfire
You will find guys who call well used Sav 99s "gray rats", which is far better to them than the dreaded "reblued".
So what you have to do is ignore that purist collector set of values for your Sav99 project.
You are an individual with your own values, goals, and plans.

And enjoy your young eyes that hit the target with open sights.

RJB,
If you go to 24HCF savage collectors
Savage Collectors - 24hourcampfire
You will find guys who call well used Sav 99s "gray rats", which is far better to them than the dreaded "reblued".
So what you have to do is ignore that purist collector set of values for your Sav99 project.
You are an individual with your own values, goals, and plans.

And enjoy your young eyes that hit the target with open sights.

Wish I could find time for that. I spend too much time here as it is. ;-) I wish my eyes were young. I guess it's a matter of perspective. (55) I'm blind as a bat without corrective lenses. Spent the last 25 or so yrs getting them from TSO and lenscrafters. TSO did a pretty good job but as fast as I wreck them I opted for the cheapys for the last 10 with a few exceptions. Finally said screw it and tried Walmart and I see better with them than I can remember. ;-)

If you can't see sights you want to shoot peeps. You might check out BJonessights.com (I think) He markets lenses that fit Springfield N/M apertures and I think something for ARs. Offers several lenses in + or -. Wouldn't be hard to adapt one to most peep sights.

Well Dam ! When I saw the title to this thread I thought it was gonna be some new innovative way to wipe my ass . Im truly dissapointed. :'(

Last edited:
Thanks for that Fantastic! contribution bubba DUMBASS! Sorry to disappoint;-) Seems you could have come up with something better after looking at it for a week.

Since you haven't figured out an innovative way to wipe your ass yet, I would suggest a dremel but I'm sure it's too small so maybe a buffer? WARNING; power tools can be dangerous. Use only as mfg's instructions. How about a bidet?

In the mean time, Just keep using your sock when mama's not around ;-)

BTW; Feel free to post some pics of your work;-)

Okay , I guess my sense of humor isn't shared by everyone. No need to get bent out of shape. I wasn't bashing you or the gun.
BTW , nice job on the rifle.