• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Turkey Gnosticism

Fig

Tenor in the howler choir
Minuteman
Mar 15, 2018
The Most Dangerous City in the USA
Post up your tips, tricks, and secret knowledge for the Best bird.

I’m honestly not a huge fan of the traditional baked bird, so I always do something different, and I’m always experimenting.

I injected a bird with a whole bottle of Mongolian Fire Oil https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NU0VSSK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_O8N3DbC7MYKKA and deep fried it, and it was probably the best ever.

I’ve done one Peking Duck style by steaming it for 30 minutes before roasting (how the skin gets so crispy), and basting in a soy based sauce. Everyone loved that one too.

This year I’m it brining in a spice infused mixture and then going to try a rub on it before baking. https://www.honeysucklewhite.com/recipes/dry-rub-spatchcock-turkey/

it just sounds good to me, so we’ll see.

Breast only, wrapped in thick bacon and smoked.

Thats what for dinner round here. Women want bbq pulled pork too. Go figure.

Sometimes we do up a full bird doused in peanut oil and seasonings in a charbroil big easy infrared fryer. Super easy to do, frees up the oven, and makes for one juicy crisp on the outside bird.

have two on the smoker right now full of butter seasoned and a natty light shoved up their ass

Brine, you're set already. The smaller birds are easier to cook and keep the entire thing moist{I would rather cook 2 10/15 than 1 20/30 pound bird}. Or just a breast as suggested above, but who wants to go without that dark meat? It also doesn't give you much carcass for broth. Let it rest for 30 min, before cutting it open. Everything else is just cooking method preference. As long as the bird doesn't get overcooked, they all work well.

Once its brined and assuming its not overcooked. The main thing I have seen that makes a difference when using a roasting pan, is to cook it breast down for the first 2/3s of the expected time. You can flip it and brown it for the final third. It also gives you a chance to watch the thermometer. I like to check it every 15 min, and if it runs past expected time. I will get it out and use a meat thermometer. I had one of those little supplied thermometers not pop for me once.

We cook 5-10 turkeys per year, I started keeping track of my favorite methods because there is nothing worse than cooking the turkey, and watching everyone put gravy on it and try to choke it down like they're trying to choke down handfuls of dry leaves in the back yard. I think dry turkey is the oldest thanksgiving tradition. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I tried to brine antelope. It only soaked in about 1/4", I could see the line in the meat when I cut it open. Its another lean meat that has a reputation for being dry. I am going to try 1/2 strips for 72 hours and see if that does the trick.

The past few Thanksgivings have either been spent quietly at home while she goes and sees her family, or bailing and going out to Ruth's Chris or Legal Seafoods. Before that, I used to do the big extended family feed with a monster turkey, two stuffings, two gravies, etc., but I must admit that I neither miss the work nor the dirty looks from female inlaws because I could outcook them. This year, we're empty nesting, she's staying off the roads, and we're having an involved traditional meal just for the two of us and the fur kids. Gotta save room for some elephant steak on Saturday, though. WDE!

Go to your local supermarket and select a Turkey that should feed everyone in the house.

Place the turkey in the shopping cart and head over to the meat department.

Find your favorite type of steak.

Remove turkey from shopping cart and replace with steaks.

Place the turkey into the slot where steaks were selected from.

Proceed to checkout.

I'm doing a cajun smoked turkey this year. If you want crispy skin, let it dry, uncovered in the fridge 24 hours before putting it on the smoker.

We are going to cook some wild turkeys on the outdoor grill. My wife gave me the weather report cold, rain, high winds, possible snow. She ask what I thought. I told her "Don't worry, you can borrow my rain gear." That did not go over well.

For a completely different direction, way out from left-field is this:
Thaw out the frozen turkey, then completely part it out. As in, debone it, de-skin it, and cut all the meat into bit-sized pieces. THEN, vacuum-bag it and cook it all in sous-vide style. Add that meat to Tikka Masala gravy and that stuff is good-good-good.

Healthy too. And all the bones go into the soup-pot. Which is a completely new and different tangent.

I am boring, I use a dry rub that is mostly mcormicks montreal seasoning

then deep fry in peanut oil for roughly 3 minutes a pound at 350F (plus 5 minutes to the total). The key is maintaining the oil temp, and never letting that temp drop below 335 no matter what

Where my Thanksgiving meal gets unique is we cook french fries in the oil after the turkey is done
These are by far the best tasting french fries you will ever eat
They taste of Turkey fat, peanut oil, and seasoning

The first TG I did this, we ate so many fries that the main meal hardly got touched.

Dry Brined and Spatchcocked is the easiest, fastest, and even cooking method I've found.

Breast only, wrapped in thick bacon and smoked.

There's something not quite right about you... Who wants the white meat?

I grab a drumstick and go to town. It's hard to screw up the dark meat.

Deep fried in hot peanut oil works good. White meat almost edible.

Breast down in the roaster does make for some moist white meat. Still not edible, but close.

I end up with more sides than Turkey at most dinners. Depends where we go though. We usually end up at a buddies ranch where we shoot off the back deck, the kids run around the yard, and then we take a nap.

Kid with a two-way makes a good target checker. Beats the hell out of a target cam.

Very traditional for us. We get both a Butterball (medium size) Turkey and a Butterball Turkey Breast (7lb this time).

Butterball because it's already infused very nicely.

Yesterday, the Breast was offered up for the family's enjoyment. Prep consisted of a 350 degree oven (per thermometer), and a couple of rubdowns with EVOO (Olive Oil for us Laymen). The Olive oil is what keeps the meat moist. Roast per instructions, with a 165 degree meat thermometer reading to confirm interior temperature. A lot of turkey gravy (McCormick's envelopes with turkey stock as liquid).

My family favors my Sainted Mother's treat by providing us (me mostly) with boiled turnip; I combine it with some mashed potato. I know, I know...

Homemade berry/orange Cranberry sauce. Sausage stuffing; no, NOT in the bird. Sweet Potato Pie. Scalloped Corn. White Asparagus.

Hors D'Oeuvres consists of a shrimp ring with homemade cocktail sauce; horseradish, lime juice, and Catsup to taste, to one time I really go for the heat.

Tomorrow, Free Thanksgiving Community Dinner at the VFW, 11-1PM. I have no idea where they all come from, but we put out several hundred ponds worth of turkey and ham, and most of the Post regulars are on the serving line, etc. It's actually just a small part of what the post does in the Community.

Two years back, we won the National Award for Community and Veterans' Service.

We do similar on Christmas and Easter, but for those two, the bar is closed.

Finally, over this coming weekend, we'll do the Turkey itself, very much like yesterday, but the bones get used for Turkey Soup.

...And tell me, honestly; who doesn't really crave some great Turkey Sandwiches...?

Greg

Last edited:
had some good Pheasant a few years ago while taking in more of the outdoors than I had wanted , but it was super moist and cooked over an open fire with wild potato's and a few carrots and onions if it weren't snowing and so cold It would have been enjoyable little meal .

?
I must know more about this Mongolian Fire Oil of which you speak. Is it used the same as any other cooking oil or does it have more uses due to seasoning/taste? I'm assuming it would be something like butter/beer injection.
You don’t actually fry in it. It’s more of an Asian condiment to put in stir frys, soups, etc.
it would be in lieu of injecting with butter/beer, exactly. It’s probably a little too hot for most people by itself, but injected in the turkey and cooked it mellowed out.

I’m one of those mutants who it has to be so hot it’s physically damaging not to enjoy it.

Slow smoked brisket with slaw, pintos, cornbread, and lots of red wine. Maybe a touch of God's Fingernail sauce. I think Ill go start Xgiving with a glass of the red now.

Turkey Ready to cook.jpg

I learned how to cook a Turkey from the Executive chef at the Ritz Carlton in Boston.

He was a guest lecturer at one of our classes...

He was a true genius.

Todays Tom was 29.5 lbs...a whopper

Last edited:
Just knock it‘s horns off, wipe it’s nasty ass, and chunk it right here on this plate.

Oh wait, it’s a bird... Nevermind!

Secret knowledge?

No secret at all @Fig
  1. Fresh turkey from a small, local family farm that raises the birds eating great feed. Turkeys from large institutional farms or frozen birds need not apply. Like eating cheap steak. People balk at spending $3-4 per pound for an awesome turkey but have no issue spending $30 per pound for beef. It makes me laugh
  2. Brine for 24 hours. Super important. There are people that dry brine and ones that use wet brines. I am a wet brine person. Mine has lots of dried fruit, ginger, spices, cider and KOSHER salt.
  3. Salt and pepper the cavity and stuff the bird....it adds a huge depth of flavor and keeps the bird from overcooking.
  4. Salt and pepper over the skin and truss it tight to keep it from coming apart.
  5. Place your aromatics at the bottom of the pan. I use unpeeled carrots, onions and celery with fresh thyme and rosemary. I then add a quart of stock. Bird goes on top of the aromatics.
  6. Melt and clarify 2 pounds of butter. Soak cheesecloth and drape it over the bird. This is the big part. Eliminates need to baste. Which eliminates having to open the oven door which drives the oven temp up and down and fucks with the cooking process. Put thermometers in the bird so you know how it is cooking without having to open the oven. Forget stuffing butter under the skin. Doesn't work for shit...In fact , it hurts as now the skin is separated from the meat and the airspace will dry out the breast. Huge wives tale.
  7. When temp reaches about 140 degrees, peek under the cheesecloth. Odds are that the bird will be a beautiful golden brown. remove the cheesecloth and cover with tinfoil to prevent burning. Continue to cook until the temp of the breast is 165.
  8. Let it rest for 30 minutes after removing from the oven.
Give it a try...it is amazing

Thought for food, try doing everything you normally would with one exception filp the bird upside down lace bacon on the (top) you can still flip it back over to brown. Hard to go wrong with bacon.

Two small birds instead of one large one.

30 minutes at 500* smothered in butter to seal and crisp the skin. Remove and wrap legs w/ tinfoil and replace at 350* until internal thermometer hits 160*. Remove IMMEDIATELY and allow to rest for at least an hour. Perfect turkey.

T minus 1 hour to sitting down at Ruth Chris' and ordering a Bourbon.

As an added bonus Ill be wearing my seldom worn Lucchese's

Deep fried perfection this year! Some birds just turn out better than others for whatever reasons, this years was perfectly fried Alabama Style.

And again, 5 lbs of crinkle cut french fries fried in the post turkey fry oil were all consumed by only 6 people lol
Everything but the fries has enough leftovers for another entire meal

Hope everyone's meal turned out well
(i hate when cooking for others and something gets overcooked or is just plain bad)

T minus 1 hour to sitting down at Ruth Chris' and ordering a Bourbon.

As an added bonus Ill be wearing my seldom worn Lucchese's

Waiting with bated breath to hear the mother-in-law report after your ribeye and bourbon indulgence.

Orange juice brine, 4 hours tops. Too long and the acids break down down the meat, making it mushy. Smoke it. The biggest issue is that the majority smoke it low and slow. It doesn't have connective tissue like beef or pork. Use a high heat. It cooks well and the skin ends up crispy. I literally have liquid running out of it as it comes off the smoker. It may not be the best for everyone, but I had two 18 pound birds gone by the end of dinner. 7 people.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer