• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Turn around time for pin/weld

Jmccracken1214

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 10, 2018
    Thomasville, NC
    I dropped a upper off at my local shop 5-6 weeks ago to get the brake I bought from them pinned& welded. I called after 3 weeks to check and got “it’s at the gunsmith, we haven’t heard anything”

Am I being impatient to call tomorrow and ask for it back if it isn’t done yet? Creeping up on 2 months. I get people are busy but damn. I wanna shoot my rifle lol

Reactions: 338dude
    I dropped a upper off at my local shop 5-6 weeks ago to get the brake I bought from them pinned& welded. I called after 3 weeks to check and got “it’s at the gunsmith, we haven’t heard anything”

Am I being impatient to call tomorrow and ask for it back if it isn’t done yet? Creeping up on 2 months. I get people are busy but damn. I wanna shoot my rifle lol
    Was the job estimate in human weeks or dog weeks?

• Haha
    Was the job estimate in human weeks or dog weeks?
    They never gave me a time... I asked when I dropped it off and said its not going to be 2-3 weeks is it? They said "never know"
    I went in last week and asked him to call the gunsmith and get it back for me, I didnt hear back for a few days, so I called up there, again... and he finally said he would go get it and have it back to me this week......... ITS STILL NOT DONE....

Im all for waiting, but damn near 2 months for a pin/weld... Ill just do it myself.

I had the same experience at a shop near me, they had it for 6 weeks after 3 or 4 "next week for sure." Turned out they were contracting gunsmiths from a college 4hrs away to come do their work on the weekends, when they actually showed up. Imagine my suprise to learn the "family owned and operated for XX years gunsmith" had no smiths anymore (the new guy spilled the beans on the last "next week for sure").

Picked it up and took it to a father/son team and had it back in less than 48hrs.

I had the same experience at a shop near me, they had it for 6 weeks after 3 or 4 "next week for sure." Turned out they were contracting gunsmiths from a college 4hrs away to come do their work on the weekends, when they actually showed up. Imagine my suprise to learn the "family owned and operated for XX years gunsmith" had no smiths anymore (the new guy spilled the beans on the last "next week for sure").

Picked it up and took it to a father/son team and had it back in less than 48hrs.
    That’s a bummer.
    My friend has a drill press and welder, I’m just going to tack it myself

I sent my son's M4 upper to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works. I had already shimmed and timed a spacer and A2 compensator.

It was in his shop two hours before I had a return tracking number -- and the only reason it took longer was the wait for the afternoon pick-up.

I sent my son's M4 upper to John Thomas at Retro Arms Works. I had already shimmed and timed a spacer and A2 compensator.

It was in his shop two hours before I had a return tracking number -- and the only reason it took longer was the wait for the afternoon pick-up.
    +1 on John Thomas. Have had the same experience with multiple items sent to him. Highly recommend him.

-Rainman

• Love
    Reactions: sinister

I have been Smithin Professionally for 20 yrs this yr.It is the impossible to maintain a schedule like a good auto shop for example. Consider: Your upper comes in,you have 25+ jobs on hand. You open up an S&W MP380 that is a LEO wife's carry.As you have seenTFM [too many] times a MIM parts snapped in two.We Call -Smithwessn who now refuses to release schematics to anyone,period, so you cannot give them a pt# or thier"description"/name.Each and every parts "person" says "just send it in". I explain that I said that too but this customer does not trust SWs shop any longer and refuses to send in. I get the" Why won't he send it,we'll fix for free ?" .
    Here's the why, he bought 2 pro shop top dollar revolvers years back to compete with, each had problems from day one.He sent #1 in fast ship ,they promised a "quick turnaround,bout a week" as these were New Proshop wheel guns. 3 weeks later no call no revolver,he calls the Proshop,no answer,he leaves mess,calls Cust service asks what's up? "Our Gunsmiths don't talk to anyone" the girl says. PIssed now " why the hell not?"I heard they say it slows them down and interupts their work". He asked for the Supervisor, girl transfers him rings long time,goes to Vmail. He leaves short message telling her how fouled up this is his, leaves numbers to reach him 24/7. Next 3 days he leaves same message after being forced to work the phone maze each time.They won't give him direct #. Oh wait, the other matching revolver has problems now as well,locks up in fast DA shooting which is what it was supposed to be" tuned" for. He's spent over 2 G's and didn't get to the second match before this started. Supervisor STILL hasn't returned any of his calls week + later. He brought revolver #2[good name for it!]in to me. We found the problemS ,test fired 100 mixed rounds through it,100% function, customer happy,he even gave us a great tip.. 2 weeks later he got #1 rev back,still no call from supervisor. He shoots it at one steel challenge event ,begins skipping the cyl lock before the match was over. I fixed that one too.
    SO. back to the 380, which he only bought another SW because his wife loved it,it was her first CCW and she shot it well. I am now slogging through the same swamp for one MIM part.I explained and described the part for 30 plus minutes.I finally ask" How about if we send you some good pictures? SW drone guy won't give us a phone # so we can text pics.We take a buncha great pics on Graph Paper from all angles,convert pics to SW's liking and Email em. He replies that they received and he'll get right back to us, It is 1PM,I call back at 3:45 in case they close at 4. He is "gone for the day" according to the new answer person. I ask "Well could you get the pics and get us that part coming fast please?". I'll try he says, but it will be tomorrow.I tell em just to please tell #1 person we need the part fastest he can move it,we'll pay shipping no problem.I now have almost 3 hrs of shoptime in the gun and no parts. As a gunsmith that gives a shit and believes this is one of the true Honorcrafts remaining I am also disgusted any firm would make such a crucial part by MIM. If this LEO wife was gunfighting her way out of a Bulletmore,Md car jacking or trying to escape a hoard of felon grade squeegee zombies she would have heard nothing but a "snap"before being killed or beaten dead. I replace the MIM parts in many customer's guns with actual heat treated steel parts so they don't have to worry about the same situation.
    It was 12 more days before we got the part needed. 4 more shop hours of millennial nonsense. I will say that the last woman I dealt with was absolutely great, she went from looking at pics,to finding the part to overnight shipping in one call and 2 hours. The "Supervisor" never did call me back . I won't divulge the identity of the great one, that supervisor would likely get her fired or worse. Can't have someone with a work ethic,intelligence,initiative and a great phone presence making every one else in the whole department look like what they are: Un-fire-able people who hate their customers.
    Keep in mind that every gunsmith deals with crap like this most every day, do not compare gunsmithing to automotive work,please.
    As far as costs, do you want a gunsmith having to rush through your job in hopes of maybe breaking even? Or do you want him to have a fair amount of time to do the work as close to perfection as possible? Sorry this digressed into such a long reply, but like Gunsmithing it takes more time to explain it well. Regards, Supervel

The shop called to let me know it was done and said it was tight when they pinned it but after welding, it’s got the slightest wiggle left to right and asked if I wanted them to drill it out and put a bigger pin in……

Uh yea… I don’t want my brake moving at all. I told them would it not cause issues with me taking my can on and off… so re do it.

Ughhhhh

• Wow
    Reactions: reubenski
    Fucking hack job..... I wouldn't trust them to do it now. Why wouldn't you seat the brake against the shoulder of the barrel? How/ why would that be something you would miss when installing a brake or fh?
    I agree. The pin isn't the problem.

OP- They need to put a shim between the brake and the barrel, then torque to spec. After that comes the pin & weld.

honestly if they don't do a P&W while you're standing there waiting go somewhere else or ship it off