• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Legal question about pin & weld

As long as s&w is not shipping a complete firearm with that barrel then it is possible for them to do that and it is up to you when you install that barrel to abide by all the laws. You can buy a ar pistol barrel that is 10” or a ar upper that has a 8 “ barrel or shorter separately it is legal. Because the end consumer may have a pistol lower. But if you stick it on a rifle lower you better have a tax stamp.
^^^^^^^Correct. Having the components under the same roof without proper BATFE completed application is considered "contstructive posession", i.e. the proximity to assemble the upper / lower SBR components is unlawful. You can drop another short barrel upper on a BATFE approved lower, you just need to retain the original upper that was approved.

Ive been calling shops around me, trying to find someone local that will pin & weld and doesnt charge $120+ like one store near me....

I called a shop today and the owner told me, as long as the brake thats on the weapon makes the barrel 16" or longer, it doesnt have to be pinned or welded to be legal.................................

Doesn't seem to make since to me, but figured id ask?

125.00 is a fair price to have the work done properly if the barrel is brought in by itself . If the Smith' has to dis-assemble and re-assemble the rifle that's a hell of a deal. Price a Milling Machine and TIG welder lately?Have the skills to use them extremely well?
How about maintaining an FFL and insurance? Folks often bring in botched work that "a friend w a drill press did" and need it saved.

Reactions: strikeeagle1