• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

shaman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2008
Frankfort, Kentucky
SOmething I have been interested in for a long time, and an unrelated thread went offtrack onto this topic. Please tell us stories, guns, shooting techniques etc.

Re: Turtles

Last fall my mother in law wanted me to come to OK to thin out the hogs. Looking around at the sign I figured she didn't have any lately on her little farm.

She did have two ponds and wanted the turtles cleaned out. That was a heck of a lot of fun. They are sneaky little critters and only give you head shots and their heads aint very big.

I used my CZ 452 military trainer with its open sights, had a shit load of fun and killed lots of turtles.

Like I said, they are sneaky. I had best results hiding behind some brush. They see you they are gone.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RedRyder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Turtles can be dangerous if wounded. Use a big enough gun.</div></div>

I would hate to encounter a wounded turtle without a big enough gun.

One of the farm ponds I sometimes fish was over run with them, seemed like every log you'd see in the water would have turtles lined up every foot or so and this is about a 40 acre pond with lots of logs in the water. I kept telling the farmer the turtles were over running his pond, but he wouldn't listen and I wasn't going to push the point, not my pond to decide. One day he called me up and said "I see what you're talking about with the turtles, can you come shoot'm?". My cousin and I spent an entire day with our 22's and a brick of hollowpoints. Makes for good practice with a 22, lot better than shooting at a paper sticker.

This story has become legendary in my family for the usual reason: my stupidity.

One day my cousin, sister, and I were at my (at the time) future brother in law's family farm. My sister, brother in law, and his parents were in a field working on a pier at a pond roughly 200-250yds away. My cousin and I had taken to the bed of my brother in laws f250 with 10/22s picking off turtles brave enough to poke their heads up out of the water into the barrage of lead that was us.

To be clear there was also a hill between us and the others. Also we were firing at a 90 degree angle away from them so there was no issue of safety except for shelled reptiles.

Well me and my cousin began calling shots. The ranges were from 40-120yds based on where the turtles popped up. He was using iron sights an I was using a cheap tasco on elevated rings. One time a turtle popped up and my cousin shot it's head off. It popped up and spun in the air before it landed in the water. We both couldn't believe it. Granted it was one shot in a few hundred but still....

About 20 minutes later, a turtle popped up on my turn reaaaaal close to the bank. I figure this'll not be an easy shot and call it. Squeeze the trigger and pwoiiiiiing! I shot the roof of my brother in law's truck. Immediately the session stopped and I kept quiet.

Two years later my brother in law sells his truck and finds the bullet mark. Immediately I fess up and he just laughs. As it turns out the dealer didn't see the mark until after everything went through!

This story has become legendary in my family for the usual reason: my stupidity.

One day my cousin, sister, and I were at my (at the time) future brother in law's family farm. My sister, brother in law, and his parents were in a field working on a pier at a pond roughly 200-250yds away. My cousin and I had taken to the bed of my brother in laws f250 with 10/22s picking off turtles brave enough to poke their heads up out of the water into the barrage of lead that was us.

To be clear there was also a hill between us and the others. Also we were firing at a 90 degree angle away from them so there was no issue of safety except for shelled reptiles.

Well me and my cousin began calling shots. The ranges were from 40-120yds based on where the turtles popped up. He was using iron sights an I was using a cheap tasco on elevated rings. One time a turtle popped up and my cousin shot it's head off. It popped up and spun in the air before it landed in the water. We both couldn't believe it. Granted it was one shot in a few hundred but still....

About 20 minutes later, a turtle popped up on my turn reaaaaal close to the bank. I figure this'll not be an easy shot and call it. Squeeze the trigger and pwoiiiiiing! I shot the roof of my brother in law's truck. Immediately the session stopped and I kept quiet.

Two years later my brother in law sells his truck and finds the bullet mark. Immediately I fess up and he just laughs. As it turns out the dealer didn't see the mark until after everything went through!

Had an over under .22/12ga and went out to shoot turtles and mocosins at a tank. First shot startled a gator that I had no clue was next to me at the bank. My grandpa snatched the rifle and fed him a shotgun slug. Never expected that in cuero tx. The game warden understood the cirumstances and let my grandpa buy a tag, so he could taxidermy him up. Grampa still has him in the old handloading room.
Probably 20 something yrs ago, still makes me smile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MGD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had an over under .22/12ga and went out to shoot turtles and mocosins at a tank. First shot startled a gator that I had no clue was next to me at the bank. My grandpa snatched the rifle and fed him a shotgun slug. Never expected that in cuero tx. The game warden understood the cirumstances and let my grandpa buy a tag, so he could taxidermy him up. Grampa still has him in the old handloading room.
Probably 20 something yrs ago, still makes me smile.</div></div>

That is the best story i have ever heard of a game warden. Talk about lucky.