• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

twist rate and bullet weight in a PSS

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
I may be acquiring a Remington PSS and have a question. Will the 1 in 12" twist stabilize a 175gr SMK? Will accuracy suffer using that bullet?
I have a few hundred of those bullets and they are very good. I could always go to a lighter bullet later, but I like these.
Am I being stubborn sticking with a single bullet weight?

I believe 1:12" is right on the edge for 175gr SMK's. It works for some people, not for others. You may have difficulties since you're at fairly low elevation in TX, but you won't know until you try.

Youll be fine, 178 HPBTs stabilize in my SPSS. 4 shots @300yds with 47.5grs 2000MR.
2011-08-26-77257.jpg

you'll be fine, I shot them all the time in mine...no problem with factory or hand loads

Thanks. I will be handloading. I have Varget and RL15 as well a a few other powders. Those 2 have given good results so I will probably stay with them.

Jim

Id pickup some CFE223 or 2000MR, they'll give you more velocity w/o over pressure. Good accuracy to boot.

1:12 might work. Weren't there some earlier PSS models that were 1/10 or did i just dream that up?

In my Remington model P, post PSS with a 26" barrel, 1in12.......Reloader 15 will hold 1 1/2 min at 1K with the 175SMK.

Should be no problem.