• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Twist rate article in Sniper

Don't worry about tarnishing Todd's reputation: He doesn't seem to care much about that. Reputation is a necessary casualty when publicity is the goal. Don't get me wrong, he's a good shooter and he can present himself well, which are two of the top five qualities I would look for if I was hiring an industry salesman.

It's just Chandler and the XM3 all over again, revived many years later. Even back then IBA never broke new ground, they just charged more for the Voodoo. But it worked: The military bought it (literally). After that, doing what they did has become a model for quickly getting rich. So don't be fooled, none of what is written there has anything to do with twist rates.

And BTW, the problems with the 168SMK are a design issue.

Last edited:
Were the atmospheric conditions from Todd's shots published as well?

All sorts of nasty design issues (the inherent issue with the 168 SMK is in the tail design) can be "forgiven" when shooting at high effective altitudes. His irregularly fast twist has appx 3-4% of the effect that he thinks it does...

Question, doesn't the fast twist also INCREASE the pressure spike of the shot, becoming a limiting factor for muzzle velocity? I was always under the impression that 1-8 twist 308 barrels where for shooting heavy bullets at subsonic speeds. @600ft ASL I don't think it would make it in AL.

Article is all over the place not sure what he is claiming. He ends with suggesting shooting heavier bullets. Heavier bullets maybe ok for competition. However, will not cut it for tactical use vs. mobile or unknown range targets where higher velocities are helpful and mag length.

Last edited:
I run a 1:8 twist .308. It shoots great with 168-247g bullets. I don't really shoot much lighter than the 208's though. Twist rate calculators are not legitimate as they leave out too many factors. However, I don't stretch mine out to 1k, let alone a mile.

Just for giggles, and a good deal, I will have a 1:8 arriving soon... and I will break down and get some 168’s again just to test this in summer and winter temps against my 1:12. I don't have a place to shoot a mile but maybe I can simulated that, velocity anyway... Hmmm.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the article.

For ME, the entire article is the definition of "unscientific"...

+1111

And I'll add that the author needs an urgent lesson on modern Stability theory, his explanation based off Greenhill is quite archaic to say the least...he can start off by reading McCoy's and follow that by further reading of Miller's

+1111

And I'll add that the author needs an urgent lesson on modern Stability theory, his explanation based off Greenhill is quite archaic to say the least...he can start off by reading McCoy's and follow that by further reading of Miller's
The problem with borrowing other people's ideas and information is that, without an in-depth understanding of them, one can make mistakes when repeating them to others. This also happens in the Magpul video, when techniques borrowed from Jacob Bynum are described and taught incorrectly.

What technic from Jacob Bynum ?
Thanks
Finger position on the stock of the shooting hand. He shows it wrong and tells it wrong. It's not the only thing wrong.

Most of the misinformation in the video is caused by 1) salesmanship: Incorrectly featuring the man, the product and the voodoo (probably done to satisfy the sponsors) instead of presenting solid instruction of technique; and 2) Todd's lack of in-depth experience and understanding of the craft, which causes him to gloss-over certain things and misstate other things because he is authoritatively repeating what he has heard.

Watch Caylen's contribution: He knows his stuff, he has an in-depth understanding of the craft, and he is a proven instructor rather than simply a PR guy.

I reckon this is as close to a “peer review” as we’re going to see in this community.

It’s a shame this will never really act as a form of self-regulation or quality control.