• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Two easy-to-answer questions

Uncut_Teeth

Private
Minuteman
Oct 19, 2012
Colorado
Hi all, I've just got two questions that I searched for on here but didn't find anything.

I have a cousin who's a machinist and has said in the past that he could make just about anything I need, and I got to thinking of what was possible. He uses a Mazak 500H (http://www.mazakusa.com/productpage.asp?lngequipid=8).

The first thing that came to mind was a muzzle brake. I don't need one now, but I was curious how hard it is to make one. I'm not planning on making one (unless the general consensus is that I could), I'm just curious if it would be possible with what he has. Then of course there's the actual design. I'm an ME major and currently enrolled in the AutoCAD class, so I feel confident that upon completion of the course I'd be able to draw it, but the actual designing I'm unsure of.

The second thing is barrel fluting. I believe that there's a special tooling for cutting flutes, but I'm more curious if there would be any issues with consistency or warping.

Any help you guys can offer would be great, thanks in advance.

Re: Two easy-to-answer questions

He can make you any muzzle brake you can imagine. And all the other stuff around guns.

If your cousin is truly a machinist and not just a coder/data entry person, he'll be able to do anything you want with that machine. I've met several so called machinists that could only follow plans...they had no idea how to do it on their own. If he isn't one of these...no problem

Autocad...If you need a class on Autocad...stop and get someone else to design your break. If the class is part of the degree, fine but if you can't figure it out how to run the program on your own... you don't need to design a break. Please don't get offended by that...The problem I see is that there are too many people that think they're "engineers" because they can pass a test. Can't tell you how many breaks that have been done by "engineers" that simply suck...

Assuming I haven't pissed you off by now, designing a break isn't too difficult if you know what to consider...caliber, velocity of gasses, port area/angle(how many axis are you going with the break?)

how do you design a break that reduces recoil and is acceptable to shooters around you and doesn't throw up a bunch of dust?...just a thought.

What about noise of the break? Do you know how to change the tone/DB-frequency of the break? (a little Vector Mechanics may help here)

Just thoughts off the top of my head...sorry if anything is offensive.

Sean,

Even if it is offensive I don't care. Talking more about vector mechanics will likely make me drop my panties. -scarey as my legs resemble dehydrated buffalo wings.
smile.gif

Its a relevant topic for me as I just recently devoted a week to changing the way I make my brakes. So far its been promising. What irritates me is that I have nothing more elaborate than my ears/shoulder to qualify whether or not I am actually doing anything.

My inspiration came from two sources. Two stroke tuned pipes and cathedral intake port design. I doubt I made any startling revelations, but the gun don't kick and the noise isn't as bad as id anticipated. -dunno.

C.

Chad,

Are you referring to the brake that you recently installed on the .260 tac build? Did you research pipes and intake ports for that design? Would you mind sharing where you did your research?

I'm assuming that this would lead to your decision to drill the holes at xx.xx angle with certain spacing. Or how would one decide how many holes, angle, distance, etc?

Thank you
Shiloh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seanh</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If your cousin is truly a machinist and not just a coder/data entry person, he'll be able to do anything you want with that machine. I've met several so called machinists that could only follow plans...they had no idea how to do it on their own. If he isn't one of these...no problem

Autocad...If you need a class on Autocad...stop and get someone else to design your break. If the class is part of the degree, fine but if you can't figure it out how to run the program on your own... you don't need to design a break. Please don't get offended by that...The problem I see is that there are too many people that think they're "engineers" because they can pass a test. Can't tell you how many breaks that have been done by "engineers" that simply suck...

Assuming I haven't pissed you off by now, designing a break isn't too difficult if you know what to consider...caliber, velocity of gasses, port area/angle(how many axis are you going with the break?)

how do you design a break that reduces recoil and is acceptable to shooters around you and doesn't throw up a bunch of dust?...just a thought.

What about noise of the break? Do you know how to change the tone/DB-frequency of the break? (a little Vector Mechanics may help here)

Just thoughts off the top of my head...sorry if anything is offensive.
</div></div>
I'll have to ask what his actual role is. I believe his title is machinist but to the extent of my knowledge he has no METC degree or anything like that.

I'm a Mechanical Engineering major, so the class is required for my degree. I understand an acceptable amount for a beginner. It's not the design of stuff that's hard, it's figuring out what buttons to press and where everything is. Familiarizing mostly.

As to the last few of those questions I don't really know. I haven't thought about this very in-depth, it was just an idea that I figured I'd ask you guys about before pursuing it.

Not offensive at all! That was very helpful, thanks a lot!