• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing TXPWD to Consider Legalizing Hunting w/ Cans

jcalaustx

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Austin, TX
From the NRA:

Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission to Consider Rule Change to Allow Hunting with Suppressors

At its next meeting on Wednesday, January 25, the Regulations Committee of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission will present proposed amendments to the 2012-2013 Statewide Hunting Proclamation. It will seek permission for them to be published in the Texas Register for public comment.

These amendments include a regulatory change that would expand the use of lawfully-possessed suppressors on firearms while hunting non-nuisance species. This common sense reform will help prevent hearing loss and mitigate noise complaints against sportsmen in the Lone Star State. Importantly, reducing noise complaints will help to keep hunting opportunities open well into the future.

Testimony will not be heard at this committee meeting on January 25, or at the full Commission meeting the following day. We will report back to you with instructions on how to weigh-in on this proposal after it has been formally submitted for public comment.

To view a copy of this proposed rule change, scroll down to Committee Agenda Item No. 2, Exhibit A.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/fee...x.phtml#item_02

Re: TXPWD to Consider Legalizing Hunting w/ Cans

It's about mother loving time. I went to a range the other day (for the first and last time) that would not let me run my suppressor because it wasn't covered on their insurance policy. Wtf?

Man, I got on here to post it, but thought I'd check to see whether some one beat me to it.
It's about time TPWD straightened this out.
CW

Just saw the NRA update talking about it. It's a great move. Hope the TP&W follow through with it.

I just wish that the folks making the decisions would get their heads out of the sand and legalize them in every state. I enjoy a good boomer as much as anyone but seriously........ they are more worried about cans than all those annoying, migraine inducing exhaust systems from guys who think their (ricer, harley, big ol truck, hot rod.... etc etc...) is so cool everyone should hear it.
I am having an I dispise politics day.... sorry fellas.

Happy to see progression. Will be keeping an eye on this one. I'll gladly replace my plugs for my cans any day of the week.

I hope they apply that to WMA's too. You still can't hunt hogs suppressed on them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texdoug1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hope they apply that to WMA's too. You still can't hunt hogs suppressed on them.</div></div>

WMA? I know you can hunt ferrel hogs suppressed, the issue I heard about real "game" was a sportsmanship issue, if you miss the first shot you shouldn't be allowed a second because of a suppressor.

In the Old Sabine River Bottom WMA you not only cannot hunt anything with a suppressor, but they have seasons for hogs. Seasons are broken down into rimfire, shotgun, and all legal means. Which means no suppressors there. I assumed they were all about the same.

I'll try to find a link.

Oh well I can't find it. I talked to the Commandant there last year, and was told I couldn't. He told me where to see the regs. but i can't find it. Hell today I can't even find where it says not to hunt deer with them, and I know it's there too.

I had a suppressor on my wish list this year anyway. Guess I better get one soon before manufacuterers raise the prices.

I know the tpwd commisioner and he said that someone in austin wants this to pass so it should. just like the crossbow issue a couple years back.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Garvey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a suppressor on my wish list this year anyway. Guess I better get one soon before manufacuterers raise the prices. </div></div>

Not sure about prices but I'll bet if a state the size of TX legalizes them then the inventory is going to get short and the wait times long. Not sure how long that will last though.

Interested as well. I looked on the TPWD website, and didn't see anything but that it was going to be discussed 2 days ago by a regulation committee.

Alpine?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: briggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's about mother loving time. I went to a range the other day (for the first and last time) that would not let me run my suppressor because it wasn't covered on their insurance policy. Wtf?
</div></div>

Hmmm...

Not sure but it looks like the agenda item specific to legalization of silencers was removed from the meeting held on 1/25.

Click the following link and take a look at the box in the upper left hand corner. Don't like the fact that "item 2" (which I believe is the agenda item of interest) is crossed out and "WITHDRAWN" is written next to it.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/business/fee...tee/index.phtml

I just e-mailed them to ask why. We will see what TPWD has to say.

I wonder why it was withdrawn?

From the link.

(1) Firearms.

(A) It is lawful to hunt alligators, game animals, and game birds with any legal firearm, including muzzleloading firearms, and including a firearm equipped with a silencer[weapons], except as specifically restricted in this section.

(E)[(D)]It is unlawful to hunt alligators, game animals, or game birds with a fully automatic firearm [<span style="text-decoration: line-through">or any firearm equipped with a silencer or sound-suppressing device</span>].

Pulled this from an article in the Austin paper. By the sound of this, the silencers for hunting agenda item was approved without discussion.

"Last Wednesday, without any discussion, commissioners approved the silencer proposal for public comment. Kind of the silencer treatment on decision-making. I was disappointed about that, because it came out of the White-tailed Deer Advisory Committee with no warning and no explanation about why this should be a hunting regulation."

Here's the link to the full article:

http://www.statesman.com/sports/outdoors...s_ece_frontpage

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When you fire a rifle, the bullet leaves the barrel at something in excess of 1,100 feet per second — faster than the speed of sound. That crack you hear is basically a small sonic boom. To eliminate that portion of the noise, the velocity of the bullet has to be reduced within the gun, and that impacts the hunter's effective range.</div></div>

LOL

Laughed when I read this too. the author is an idiot. Many of the things he says are wrong. the libtard comes to the right answer without really thinking through the right reasons.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TBannister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Alpine?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: briggs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It's about mother loving time. I went to a range the other day (for the first and last time) that would not let me run my suppressor because it wasn't covered on their insurance policy. Wtf?
</div></div> </div></div>

It was Quail Creek. I haven't had an issue with Alpine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Laughed when I read this too. the author is an idiot. Many of the things he says are wrong. the libtard comes to the right answer without really thinking through the right reasons. </div></div>

Wow. No Kidding. He must have fact checked his story at the Academy gun counter.

That's just scary. Can't believe that person is tasked with "reporting" the news.

i tried using my can at quail creek also and he said no also, guess i will need to go alpine.

Picked this up on the Hide Suppressor forum. Ball is still rolling...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/newsmedia/re...12&nrsearch

From the TXPWD article linked above:

"Regarding the proposed amendment allowing the use of silencers, the department has determined that there is no resource- or enforcement-related reason to prohibit the use of firearm silencers for the take of alligators, game animals or game birds, and therefore proposes to eliminate the current prohibition. The department notes that if the proposal is adopted, it will not relieve any person of the obligation to otherwise comply with any applicable state, federal, or local law governing the possession or use of firearm silencers.

Comments on the proposed rules may be submitted by phone or e-mail to Robert Macdonald (512) 389-4775; e-mail: [email protected], Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, 4200 Smith School Road, Austin, Texas 78744. Comments may also be submitted through the department’s Internet web site and at upcoming public meetings to be scheduled around the state."