• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UFC 109

Cinch

Team GFY
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2008
Wyoming
So, who's your picks? I keep saying I won't buy the next fight, but I'm sure I will. Not a great card, but I've seen worse. Here's my picks.
Randy Couture
Nate Marquardt
Frank Trigg
Demian Maia
Mike Swick

Re: UFC 109

Geriatric Couture vs a broken down Coleman who was barely relevant once fighters learned how to do something else besides wrestle and kickbox. Give me a f&cking break. How is this main card fight relevant?

In the last 8 months the UFC under Dana White has become the American Motors of MMA. Mass producing a product nobody is interested in. The UFC under White isn't a passionate fan of MMA or he would roll Overeem, Fedor... the list goes on into the UFC.

I am boycotting UFC until they quit the fast food McDonalds strategy to MMA.

Shankster.......are you serious.....?? Without Dana, we wouldn't even be watching MMA on TV.....

The UFC is constantly trying to bring new fighters into the sport & sometimes the fight cards are boring....but hell, it's once a month & you can't expect the same fighters to fight every 4 weeks.

I'd love to see Fedor come to the UFC & take the crown.....but he didn't exactly try too hard to get there....he's happy to make his money elsewhere.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shankster.......are you serious.....?? Without Dana, we wouldn't even be watching MMA on TV.....

The UFC is constantly trying to bring new fighters into the sport & sometimes the fight cards are boring....but hell, it's once a month & you can't expect the same fighters to fight every 4 weeks.

I'd love to see Fedor come to the UFC & take the crown.....but he didn't exactly try too hard to get there....he's happy to make his money elsewhere..... </div></div>

I think he's happy not to be under Don Ki I maen Dana Whites total fighter control contracts.I have to partially agree with Shank Dana may be a fan but he's fallen into the sucess trap and believe's he can do anything and it will be gold.

kinda on the fence with this argument. the couture/coleman fight is based more on nostalgia, than relevance.

as far as white is concerned, i view him as a necessary evil. if he wouldn't have taken the aggressive approach he did, mma would be nowhere near as popular as it is.

the downside to his method, is that it has caused a debacle of core martial arts values. not to mention all the douchebag posers who now walk around malls and gyms with skin tight mma shirts and act like they can take on the world!

i love mma, but the unavoidable fanfare connected to it is friggin' nauseating!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Shankster.......are you serious.....?? Without Dana, we wouldn't even be watching MMA on TV.....

I'd love to see Fedor come to the UFC & take the crown.....but he didn't exactly try too hard to get there....he's happy to make his money elsewhere..... </div></div>

All the nuthugging reasons you support Dana White is why he should have fostered the sport to the next level.

The only other person/promoter that makes you sign a contract so he owns you for 3 fights if he gives you a fight, can decide if it is 3 years before your next fight, won't let you make any money fighting for another organization during that time and won't let you wear non-UFC approved fight shirts to his fights IS DON KING!!!!!

Oh, and by the way he doesn't pay you, your medical, or your training while you wait for KIng Dana to throw you bone.

THAT"S WHY FEDOR OR ANY OTHER GOOD FIGHTER AROUND THE WORLD WHO DOESN'T HAVE TO SUCK DANA'S DICK WON'T SIGN WITH HIM. You have proven yourself to be more of a UFC fan than a worldwide MMA fan with your reasoning.

No......there you go generalizing again about how people must think based off one comment. I am MMA fan in general, but basically all I see on TV is either UFC or old Pride Championship fights.....

Sorry if I haven't delved into the MMA world to the point that I know all the key players & behind the scene shakers.....my bad.

MMA was all but dead except in Japan & the US fans really had no way of watching it on a regular basis. I think Dana has made it so much more accessible & mainstream than anyone else ever would have.

Sorry, but the fighters are just like every other professional athlete.....sign a contract & play for a team....when contract is over, go play elsewhere.....no one forces them to sign with UFC. I'm sure they realize that the UFC is about the only chance where they will get some mainstream recognition.

Maybe the reason why so many other competing MMA organizations seem to fail within a few years, is because they aren't as protective of their fighters as the UFC......must be good business sense......cuz they certainly are at the top of the MMA world right now. I'm just saying.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geriatric Couture vs a broken down Coleman who was barely relevant once fighters learned how to do something else besides wrestle and kickbox. Give me a f&cking break. How is this main card fight relevant?

In the last 8 months the UFC under Dana White has become the American Motors of MMA. Mass producing a product nobody is interested in. The UFC under White isn't a passionate fan of MMA or he would roll Overeem, Fedor... the list goes on into the UFC.

</div></div>
+1 on shankster's boycott!!

And as I said six motnhs ago...
In my opinion Mr. White is a cocky clown and I ask myself if he would talk to the fighters in the same way without the Fertita brothers backing him up. If it wasn't for the Fertitas he would still be giving Tae Bo classes or at his peak behind the bar of a vegas' style massage parlor.
Remember that fighters aren't all "good boys" like Randy, Ricco, Renzo and Saku, some comes from pretty fuck up background, so... Who knows... May be some day he will pist somebody too much and get a beating live on pay per view.
I forgot... Here's a pic posted during the Couture-White confrontation:

http://www.mma-extreme.com/?p=215

Gotta agree with the Shank. I can't deny Dana helped MMA in the US but as a fan, UFC has never been my favorite organization. The Don King analogy is true, Dana is a tool, he likes being a tool and likes to hear the sound of his voice while he's being a tool.

Dana White vs Fedor, I wanna see that shit.

Dana certainly has an ego the size of King Kong & it probably comes from the fact that one day he was worthless......& 4 years later he was worth tens of millions of dollars.....

Let's not forget that the UFC is a business & they are trying to remain on top of the MMA world by keeping their organization available more often (than their competition) to the mainstream audience & also trying to keep the best fighters working for them.

Dana knows that everyone loves Fedor & will watch him fight whenever he does......so if your Dana, wouldn't you try to sign him to an exclusive contract......?? Which would basically mean the MMA world would be watching YOUR organitzation instead of the "others".....

I mean seriously.......is that really bad business?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">oh, and by the way he doesn't pay you, your medical, or your training while you wait for KIng Dana to throw you bone.</div></div>

By the way, I'm not familiar with the contractual details of this business.....are there other MMA organizations that pays the fighters medical benefits & also pay a salary for training in between fights? Just curious.....

the next three after this card is packed. 112 has Renzo gracie vs. matt hughes. Can't wait

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jkkfam89</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the next three after this card is packed. <span style="font-weight: bold">112 has Renzo gracie vs. matt hughes</span>. Can't wait </div></div>

yawn.

Belfort and Silva should be real good, Also can't wait to see Carwin smack the crap out of Mir.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: grmroper001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Belfort and Silva should be real good, Also can't wait to see Carwin smack the crap out of Mir. </div></div>

I agree.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geriatric Couture vs a broken down Coleman who was barely relevant once fighters learned how to do something else besides wrestle and kickbox. Give me a f&cking break. How is this main card fight relevant?

</div></div>

Coleman and kickboxing? Not too recently he was quoted as saying that he was still getting used to this BJJ thing!
He only has GnP and against Couture that's not going to happen.

As for Dana White, I think people are giving him too much credit. Saying that without him MMA would not exist, is like saying that without the Mauser brothers, we would not have bolt action rifles.
Pride FC was much bigger than the UFC when White and CO took over, so that argument is not valid.

It's like saying we wouldn't have beer without Budweiser!
Btw, I'm drinking the original Budweiser from the Czech republic and it's good stuff.

As for the UFC, they need to step it up.
Strikeforce is putting on good shows with only 10% of the talent of the UFC and if it goes like this for a couple of years, then Strikeforce will be the dominant organization.

Shankster,
I train jiu jitsu and really enjoy watching the Gracies. 110, 111 and 112 are awesome. I also am looking forward to Mir vs Carwin

The biggest plus to the UFC is that it brought MMA back to the USA....I'm sure the fighters were getting tired of traveling to Japan to fight & make a living.......

Shankster, can u answer my previous question? Which MMA organization pays the fighters for medical & pays them a salary in between fights?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mgd45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The biggest plus to the UFC is that it brought MMA back to the USA....I'm sure the fighters were getting tired of traveling to Japan to fight & make a living.......

<span style="font-weight: bold">Shankster, can u answer my previous question? Which MMA organization pays the fighters for medical & pays them a salary in between fights? </span> </div></div>

My post stated that White can decide not give them fight for 3 years, and they can't go anywhere else to make a living. Hence, no health insurance. If you're going to not let a fighter make a living anywhere else shouldn't there be some compensation or a least benefits while you are waiting? PRIDE, and all of the other companies let a fighter fight who they want when they want.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Geriatric Couture vs a broken down Coleman who was barely relevant once fighters learned how to do something else besides wrestle and kickbox. Give me a f&cking break. How is this main card fight relevant?

</div></div>

<span style="font-weight: bold">Coleman and kickboxing? Not too recently he was quoted as saying that he was still getting used to this BJJ thing!
He only has GnP and against Couture that's not going to happen.</span>

</div></div>

Do you guys actually read my posts before you comment on them? Jeez.

With some of the new talent as well as signing Dan Henderson and bringing back Miller strikeforce will go toe to toe with UFC soon. Not to mention that they show their fights on showtime, don't have to spend 50 bucks on PPV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shankster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Oh, and by the way he doesn't pay you, your medical, or your training while you wait for KIng Dana to throw you bone.
</div></div>

With this quote, you made it sounds as if other MMA organizations pay their fighters in between fights & their medical & training.......gee, sorry I confused your statement.
cool.gif