• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ugly Reloading Precision Primer Seater… Thoughts?!!

Flea21

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2013
NE Illinois
Does anyone have the new Precision Primer Seater by Ugly Reloading USA? I saw the video of this on YouTube, and was intrigued by it. Apparently it mounts in your press like a die would. I’m very intrigued by it, curious if anyone has one and can share some insight on it. Let me know, Thnaks In advance.

Here’s a link to the video on it…

View attachment 8304425

So basically a cps lite with a spring and a micrometer in the bottom, cool. Makes me wonder why primal rights stopped making the lite.

Reactions: Flea21
Basically same idea as Primal Rights. However, if you want/need consistent primer seating without sorting via rim thickness (most won't benefit from this, but still)......and you want a system similar to this, you're still better off with the Primal Rights + F Class Products CPS Priming Plate Upgrade. This attaches an indicator that allows you to get consistent seating depth regardless of rim thickness.

If they are ever readily available and not backordered, I'll pick on up. If nothing else, to add something else I can do with Zero Press.

Reactions: dhuf and kthomas
Basically same idea as Primal Rights. However, if you want/need consistent primer seating without sorting via rim thickness (most won't benefit from this, but still)......and you want a system similar to this, you're still better off with the Primal Rights + F Class Products CPS Priming Plate Upgrade. This attaches an indicator that allows you to get consistent seating depth regardless of rim thickness.

If they are ever readily available and not backordered, I'll pick on up. If nothing else, to add something else I can do with Zero Press.
I run Peterson on all my rifles except one which still has a batch of Lapua going through it. Both of those are very consistent, so I’m not worried about that. With that said though, apparently they’re in the process of making precision shell holders. I think it’s definitely a buy and I was able to secure one, it’s shipping out this coming week. It’ll be interesting to see how it runs.

Currently I use the RCBS ram priming unit in my single stage presses with competition Redding shell plates to adjust seating depth. This works but I like the micrometer feature and the use of Dillon tubes for primers which makes for a little faster process and more consistency.

I run Peterson on all my rifles except one which still has a batch of Lapua going through it. Both of those are very consistent, so I’m not worried about that. With that said though, apparently they’re in the process of making precision shell holders. I think it’s definitely a buy and I was able to secure one, it’s shipping out this coming week. It’ll be interesting to see how it runs.

Currently I use the RCBS ram priming unit in my single stage presses with competition Redding shell plates to adjust seating depth. This works but I like the micrometer feature and the use of Dillon tubes for primers which makes for a little faster process and more consistency.

The shell holders will just reduce the amount of error, but it will still be there. But unless you're attempting to shoot small aggs for benchrest, it won't matter.

Reactions: LR1845
I don’t shoot benchrest.. simply bipod and rear bag in different positions. Sometimes off a bench and others prone. Currently I use the RCBS ram prime system in my Redding press with Redding shell holders and I’m getting .3-.5 MOA at worst in my rifles with my reloads. I’m pretty sure this priming system would be an upgrade to what I’m currently using. The performance may be marginal at best, but I like the fact I’ll be able to prime a little quicker than I currently do the task and I’m pretty sure they’ll be a little more consistent considering I can dial in a seating depth with the micrometer.

I just try to upgrade my reloading tools and techniques when I can to get the most out of the ammo I make. I’ve noticed an improvement when I upgraded my annealing to an amp with the amp mate and Dillon case feeder.. that tool saved so much time and does the fast the same every time. Additionally, I got a Henderson trimmer and now I trim my brass every firing. It’s more of a skim but getting a nice chamfer and deburr is really what I’m after and my brass stays the same length every firing… again consistency and surprisingly enough, that tool also saves a tremendous amount of time in the reloading process.

I figure I’ll get this priming tool and If I don’t like using the new seater I can always go back to my “old way” of doing things.

I don’t shoot benchrest.. simply bipod and rear bag in different positions. Sometimes off a bench and others prone. Currently I use the RCBS ram prime system in my Redding press with Redding shell holders and I’m getting .3-.5 MOA at worst in my rifles with my reloads. I’m pretty sure this priming system would be an upgrade to what I’m currently using. The performance may be marginal at best, but I like the fact I’ll be able to prime a little quicker than I currently do the task and I’m pretty sure they’ll be a little more consistent considering I can dial in a seating depth with the micrometer.

I just try to upgrade my reloading tools and techniques when I can to get the most out of the ammo I make. I’ve noticed an improvement when I upgraded my annealing to an amp with the amp mate and Dillon case feeder.. that tool saved so much time and does the fast the same every time. Additionally, I got a Henderson trimmer and now I trim my brass every firing. It’s more of a skim but getting a nice chamfer and deburr is really what I’m after and my brass stays the same length every firing… again consistency and surprisingly enough, that tool also saves a tremendous amount of time in the reloading process.

I figure I’ll get this priming tool and If I don’t like using the new seater I can always go back to my “old way” of doing things.
I’m looking to upgrading my priming system (pretty much worn out my 40 yr old RCBS bench primer), did you purchase one of these yet? If so, what do you think of it?

I did order one and received it a few days ago. Unfortunately, all my brass is loaded and ready to shoot. So therefore, I need to shoot some so I have brass to prime.

That said, I did take a piece out and a spent primer and set it up in my press. I can see this thing working out great for me. It is very accurate with the micrometer and I like the slide feature for primers.

My recommendation is if you’re in the market for a priming system and you have a single stage press, go for it… I don’t think you’ll regret it.

I did order one and received it a few days ago. Unfortunately, all my brass is loaded and ready to shoot. So therefore, I need to shoot some so I have brass to prime.

That said, I did take a piece out and a spent primer and set it up in my press. I can see this thing working out great for me. It is very accurate with the micrometer and I like the slide feature for primers.

My recommendation is if you’re in the market for a priming system and you have a single stage press, go for it… I don’t think you’ll regret it.
Thanks for the info. I do pretty much all my rifle reloads on a single stage. The website said they were back ordered and to call. I left a message with him so hopefully I can get one. Looked like a slick setup.

Thanks for the info. I do pretty much all my rifle reloads on a single stage. The website said they were back ordered and to call. I left a message with him so hopefully I can get one. Looked like a slick setup.
Okay.. cool. He’ll circle back to you and if not then try again. Last I heard, he’s backed up until March sometime, maybe longer. This thing is getting pretty popular.

Reactions: Islander
I did and love it… get one as soon as you can and if you don’t like it, I’ll take it off your hands… that’s a guarantee!

I've had and use the Primal Rights with the F Class Products plate and indicator for 3 years now and have tested to my satisfaction at 600 yards.
With the stop backed off the PR I can run the primer in until it touches bottom on the pocket then the indicator allows me to apply a consistent preload or crush on the anvil. I can easily sort these coming off the primer to below flush to further refine them into groups that are the same.

it's my opinion seating to touch + a consistent crush is more consistent in terms of accuracy than seating to a consistent below flush number.
Several priming tools out there are now capable of seating to a very consistent below flush number if that's the goal but without the plate and indicator the only other tool I'm aware can seat to touch and apply an exact crush is the K & M

Last edited:
Okay.. cool. He’ll circle back to you and if not then try again. Last I heard, he’s backed up until March sometime, maybe longer. This thing is getting pretty popular.
I called a left messages twice, never heard from him.

so who bought this. any reviews?
I got one. I may actually get another to not have to change out from large to small primer. I love it. A really nice guy on here printed me some "button" pieces to make ( the end where you push the slider to get a new primer) it bigger so I don't really have to look and can just come up with the press handle and push it and rock and roll. Thr machining is excellent .

I actually also got 3 of the headspace and comparator sets and got rid of the other 4 different ones I had to standardize it all. They are really nice and such a better price than the other high end ones.

I ordered one for my dad. I use the CPS but the hand primer is getting tough for him so we will seee.

I actually also got 3 of the headspace and comparator sets and got rid of the other 4 different ones I had to standardize it all. They are really nice and such a better price than the other high end ones.
Thanks for mentioning this, I thought it looked like a quality setup at a reasonable price. The Area 419 kit looks good but it’s very expensive.
Ill have to order one.

Thanks for mentioning this, I thought it looked like a quality setup at a reasonable price. The Area 419 kit looks good but it’s very expensive.
Ill have to order one.
The sac are an in between and also very very nice

Reactions: Devildog
Ill have to order one.
Yeah I had a 419 one too and honestly it was great, but really big and heavy. It wasn't very comfortable to use with my calipers and the ugly is extremely well machined and I am very happy with them. Also, I now have 3 of the same exact sets so I don't have to constantly swap stuff around. I have 2 good sets of calipers and 2 cheap ones, so I can divide chores up depending on the need for accuracy and utilize the different calipers and multiple sets of comparators. Also I have a zero press tray being made to hold the ugly set so I can use my existing printed set holder that mounts to my wall as well as this one on the back of the press and have them all out in both places. Makes all the measuring and checking a lot easier. I know many would say that's crazy but with the minimal time I have to actually do this stuff I really want to maximize it amd don't want to be swapping stuff around all the time so, it works great for me

I am going to call Carl and see if I can find out what the size and thread is for his Allen set screws so I can find some thimb screws to fit it so I don't have to use the Allen set screws all the time for everything. (Like the base piece for example)

Yeah I had a 419 one too and honestly it was great, but really big and heavy. It wasn't very comfortable to use with my calipers and the ugly is extremely well machined and I am very happy with them. Also, I now have 3 of the same exact sets so I don't have to constantly swap stuff around. I have 2 good sets of calipers and 2 cheap ones, so I can divide chores up depending on the need for accuracy and utilize the different calipers and multiple sets of comparators. Also I have a zero press tray being made to hold the ugly set so I can use my existing printed set holder that mounts to my wall as well as this one on the back of the press and have them all out in both places. Makes all the measuring and checking a lot easier. I know many would say that's crazy but with the minimal time I have to actually do this stuff I really want to maximize it amd don't want to be swapping stuff around all the time so, it works great for me

I am going to call Carl and see if I can find out what the size and thread is for his Allen set screws so I can find some thimb screws to fit it so I don't have to use the Allen set screws all the time for everything. (Like the base piece for example)
I ordered a set last night. I noticed the Allen heads screws and thought the same thing that a couple thumbscrews would nice to have. If you find out the thread pitch I hope you’ll share that would be much appreciate. Thanks again

I ordered a set last night. I noticed the Allen heads screws and thought the same thing that a couple thumbscrews would nice to have. If you find out the thread pitch I hope you’ll share that would be much appreciate. Thanks again
So I spoke with Carl a bit ago. I've spoken with him before but I talked with him for a little while today. He's just such a nice guy and such a pleasure to deal with. I love being able to deal with small business guys. If you need something, you can call and talk to THE GUY and get a real answer. So nice... anywho, I digress....

He has an option for a base unit with a thumb screw. He will have it listed by end of the week. Apparently the Allen set screw is too small for a thumb screw, so it's a whole base unit with a single thumb screw much like the hornady set up, but of course the headspace and bullet comparator pieces thread in like his standard base ect.... The new base unit won't be very much, if you order one, call him first.

To that end, Apparently there's someone selling the annealer and primer on Amazon or something for slightly less.(and I do mean slightly)

Just want to make everyone aware that if you choose to do that your money is going over seas and of course you aren't dealing with a small business guy like Carl, you are dealing with some outfit over seas so you can't call them up and get support like i just did. I'd much rather deal with Carl and have someone who can help me when I need it and know my money is going to a small business in the USA!

So I spoke with Carl a bit ago. I've spoken with him before but I talked with him for a little while today. He's just such a nice guy and such a pleasure to deal with. I love being able to deal with small business guys. If you need something, you can call and talk to THE GUY and get a real answer. So nice... anywho, I digress....

He has an option for a base unit with a thumb screw. He will have it listed by end of the week. Apparently the Allen set screw is too small for a thumb screw, so it's a whole base unit with a single thumb screw much like the hornady set up, but of course the headspace and bullet comparator pieces thread in like his standard base ect.... The new base unit won't be very much, if you order one, call him first.

To that end, Apparently there's someone selling the annealer and primer on Amazon or something for slightly less.(and I do mean slightly)

Just want to make everyone aware that if you choose to do that your money is going over seas and of course you aren't dealing with a small business guy like Carl, you are dealing with some outfit over seas so you can't call them up and get support like i just did. I'd much rather deal with Carl and have someone who can help me when I need it and know my money is going to a small business in the USA!
So I have looked at the comparators he has(I have the priming tool and like it) what is different about these as opposed to the red ones ? Are they similar to the area419 where they are "beveled? I'd definitely get them if they offer me anything I don't have. Thanks

So I have looked at the comparators he has(I have the priming tool and like it) what is different about these as opposed to the red ones ? Are they similar to the area419 where they are "beveled? I'd definitely get them if they offer me anything I don't have. Thanks
Do you mean the hornady ones?

Reactions: Glowie
Yes. I see the sac ones are beveled for the cartridges was curious if these are or are they the same as hornady using a straight round hole.
Yeah they are a straight hole, and machined really well. They also thread in. They are really well done and easy to use.

Reactions: Glowie
Just received my comparator set today. You guys weren’t kidding it’s a really nice kit. Looks great, price was unbelievably cheap, fast shipping and it’s way nicer than the Hornady kit I’ve been using.
I appreciate the heads up, you guys find all the cool shit, that’s why I hang around lol!

Just received my comparator set today. You guys weren’t kidding it’s a really nice kit. Looks great, price was unbelievably cheap, fast shipping and it’s way nicer than the Hornady kit I’ve been using.
I appreciate the heads up, you guys find all the cool shit, that’s why I hang around lol!
Carl is a really cool guy too. The machining and how consistent the comparators are between my 3 sets is impressive. I mean, it's not very much money for so much really good machining and also really good anodizing. When I get my zero tray/comparator organizer I will send some pics in the zero tray thread for the guy that makes em. Should be pretty sweet

Carl is a really cool guy too. The machining and how consistent the comparators are between my 3 sets is impressive. I mean, it's not very much money for so much really good machining and also really good anodizing. When I get my zero tray/comparator organizer I will send some pics in the zero tray thread for the guy that makes em. Should be pretty sweet
For sure I’d like to see that. I’d like to upgrade to a zero this year but I already have five other presses. I’m never satisfied lol

For sure I’d like to see that. I’d like to upgrade to a zero this year but I already have five other presses. I’m never satisfied lol
I hear you. I have 3 myself. Zero, Lyman 8 (which has been a great press), and a dillon 550c. Sold my Mec which was also a good press. If I didn't have that zero I'd buy that one in the px that the ears have been machined off of. That's my only sort of "not great" comment about the zero. Not a lot of room for your hand near the die when working the ram

I've been using the Hornady set for years now. Because of this thread, I ordered the comparator set from Carl. I got them two days ago. They are very well machined.

The set is on sale and is $58.00 shipped to your door, no tax, no shipping. The set comes with about every bullet comparator you would need.

A much better set than the Hornady since you also get the bullet comparators and the set is machined so much better.

If Carl comes out with a thumb screw body to attach to the Calipers, I would buy it.

Reactions: codym
I've been using the Hornady set for years now. Because of this thread, I ordered the comparator set from Carl. I got them two days ago. They are very well machined.

The set is on sale and is $58.00 shipped to your door, no tax, no shipping. The set comes with about every bullet comparator you would need.

A much better set than the Hornady since you also get the bullet comparators and the set is machined so much better.

If Carl comes out with a thumb screw body to attach to the Calipers, I would buy it.
He has it. I have 3 of them now. I mean I just got em Friday but he said they should be on the site listed now. They have a thumb screw on each side and work great.

Edit: I looked and it's not there but check in a few days and it should be there. He does have a storage box for the primer thats pretty cool now though