• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ugly reloading precision primer seater

+1 I ˆthinkˆ I can see the brass lift off the base befoer the primer gets home...see eg 2:00-2:02

I think this is the only one left in the entire web. Unfortunately it’s twice the price as it should be. I would call Lee.
9A62F793-27CD-4E3E-87EC-F3F5F4D17429.png

The ACP has been replaced by the APP. I've heard good things about both but never used them. I do really like the Lee Classic Turret and Six Pack presses though.

Anyway, the Ugly primer looks cool, but I'm perfectly fine with my Frankford Arsenal hand primer. Had a 21st Century previously and the FA is better.

Reactions: 260284
I currently use my Co-ax to prime or also the Forster primer system and they both suck IMO lol

Priming on press is slow and the forester priming system doesn’t work well for me. I can’t seem to get it adjusted correctly for smooth priming.

So I got this and I'm having two issues...

1. How do you fill up the primer tube? (dumb question?)
2. I'm loading cc400's in once fired Hornady 6arc brass and I can not get the primers to go below flush. I'm using the Frankford primer shell holders, which are the same as Lee I beleive. The stem underneath the micrometer stops before bottoming flush and I can't apply enough force to get the primer to go in anymore. My forster co-ax press has no trouble seating below flush. Am I doing something wrong?

2. I'm loading cc400's in once fired Hornady 6arc brass and I can not get the primers to go below flush. I'm using the Frankford primer shell holders, which are the same as Lee I beleive. The stem underneath the micrometer stops before bottoming flush and I can't apply enough force to get the primer to go in anymore. My forster co-ax press has no trouble seating below flush. Am I doing something wrong?
It uses the Lee hand prime shell holders. Also, you can always call the owner, he responds to calls. I spoke with him earlier this evening about mine.

Did you find a solution to this? Just got mine and cannot get CCI 450s to go below flush with alpha 22GT brass. It will start and I know the lee shellholders have to be lined up correctly wince they have a lot of wiggle room. But I practially put my bodyweight on the press handle and still no go. I am afraid im going to detonate one lol.

Might have to try with the shellholders they have

Didn't realize their shell holders were out, thanks!

What helped me was getting more leverage. I use the RCBS partner press. I had to raise the die up to get a longer downstroke on the handle, this helped a lot. I don't have to slam it or anything. Just normal smooth pressure.

Unfortunately, this means that the die is now up in the press high enough that I can't see the adjustment tiks. Not a big deal, I set it and forget it. Seems to be working fairly well now.

If that doesn't work, see how deep your primer pockets are, if they're too shallow then reaming with a uniformer may help.

Received mine recently.

Works great. I am using their in-house shellholders, which are much nicer than the Lee and Sinclair ones that I've used with the CPS.

The flat base allowed me to save cash and avoid buying the Area419 version 😂😆

DAA and Dillon primer tubes work fine.

1000050845.jpg
1000050847.jpg
1000050846.jpg

Didn't realize their shell holders were out, thanks!

What helped me was getting more leverage. I use the RCBS partner press. I had to raise the die up to get a longer downstroke on the handle, this helped a lot. I don't have to slam it or anything. Just normal smooth pressure.

Unfortunately, this means that the die is now up in the press high enough that I can't see the adjustment tiks. Not a big deal, I set it and forget it. Seems to be working fairly well now.

If that doesn't work, see how deep your primer pockets are, if they're too shallow then reaming with a uniformer may help.

Gave this a go and yep its at getting them to the point where they are flush to get out of the shellholder. Seems to be as consistent as my coax, but much faster. Appreciate the advice!

Reactions: mynamejeff
Isn't the Derraco PCPS, albeit more precisely, still based on (hopefully) consistent rim thickness and not the base of the cartridge case, i.e., like headspace?

Isn't the Derraco PCPS, albeit more precisely, still based on (hopefully) consistent rim thickness and not the base of the cartridge case, i.e., like headspace?
Correct. It closely resembles the older CPS Lite (discontinued). It uses the same concept as the CPS but much easier to use (I've had the CPS for 4+ years now).

Correct. It closely resembles the older CPS Lite (discontinued). It uses the same concept as the CPS but much easier to use (I've had the CPS for 4+ years now).
Do you sort by rim thickness? Not trying to harass you. I'm trying to evaluate the Derraco $230 and limited, unique shell-holders vs Lee's $104 Deluxe APP Press.

Do you sort by rim thickness? Not trying to harass you. I'm trying to evaluate the Derraco $230 and limited, unique shell-holders vs Lee's $104 Deluxe APP Press.

You're going to be very hare pressed to find anyone who will be able to shoot the difference in primer seating depth variation due to rim thickness as long as the primer is seated to the bottom of the pocket.

I.E. take any of these click adjustable primer tools, take a case and seat a primer exactly flush, then give it .005" more clicks. Seat some cases.

Take another batch, turn the clicks way past enough to get to bottom of pocket and keep going, seat primers by feel all the way to bottom.

Take another batch, measure each pocket and primer. Sort by rim thickness. Set seater up to seat to pocket of all pieces in a given sample of rim thickness.

Take all those batches labeled and have a friend give you each round to shoot with them documenting which is which. While you shoot it over chrono and on paper.

See if you can tell any difference whatsoever. More than likely, the only way you'll see much of a difference is if any of the primers are not at the bottom of the pocket.

Absolutely not. I have the Lee APP and it does not even compare to this. It is more comparable to the CPS.

You're going to be very hare pressed to find anyone who will be able to shoot the difference in primer seating depth variation due to rim thickness as long as the primer is seated to the bottom of the pocket.

I.E. take any of these click adjustable primer tools, take a case and seat a primer exactly flush, then give it .005" more clicks. Seat some cases.

Take another batch, turn the clicks way past enough to get to bottom of pocket and keep going, seat primers by feel all the way to bottom.

Take another batch, measure each pocket and primer. Sort by rim thickness. Set seater up to seat to pocket of all pieces in a given sample of rim thickness.

Take all those batches labeled and have a friend give you each round to shoot with them documenting which is which. While you shoot it over chrono and on paper.

See if you can tell any difference whatsoever. More than likely, the only way you'll see much of a difference is if any of the primers are not at the bottom of the pocket.
Make sure you use STDEV-P when you enter all of it into the spreadsheet.

Why mess with $300-$600 primer seaters when single digit SD’s can be had with an $80 RCBS one size fits all? Never understood this primer seating smoke and mirror BS. I’m sure Gregg’s bank account loves it though. What’s the old saying? “A fool and his money…”?

Why mess with $300-$600 primer seaters when single digit SD’s can be had with an $80 RCBS one size fits all? Never understood this primer seating smoke and mirror BS. I’m sure Gregg’s bank account loves it though. What’s the old saying? “A fool and his money…”?
A Honda Civic gets you to your destination like a Bugatti...

And it's about quality of life. You can load ammo on a cheap Lee or Zero.

I never understood why people complain about how others spend their money. 😉 (Maybe cuz they don't have it?)

And the system we are discussing is not made by Greg and is only $230.😉

Reactions: secondofangle2
A Honda Civic gets you to your destination like a Bugatti...

And it's about quality of life. You can load ammo on a cheap Lee or Zero.

I never understood why people complain about how others spend their money. 😉 (Maybe cuz they don't have it?)

And the system we are discussing is not made by Greg and is only $230.😉
Spend it however you want. I would just like to know the thought process behind it. If you can’t shoot the difference (which you cannot), what’s the difference?

Spend it however you want. I would just like to know the thought process behind it. If you can’t shoot the difference (which you cannot), what’s the difference?
I already said it: QUALITY OF LIFE

No one here, especially me, states primer seaters increase accuracy (it certainly does not).

Do you use a scoop or a auto trickling device?

Do you single load 9mm or run a progressive?

Do you use an Arken or a Tangent?

The list goes on and on...

If the Lee APP would do larger than 30-06 I would get rid of my CPS

The discussion is bench primers. RCBS makes a bench primer but it isn't $80. Hand primers have their place but I'm pretty over them, I have a couple.

I have used one of these for about 20 years and can get great crush with it and pretty consistent and I can’t imagine spending more money on something else unless it were proven to be better. I have about a dozen tubes that I keep loaded with the various primers and it is quick to load them and switch them and I’m perfectly satisfied.

I have used one of these for about 20 years and can get great crush with it and pretty consistent and I can’t imagine spending more money on something else unless it were proven to be better. I have about a dozen tubes that I keep loaded with the various primers and it is quick to load them and switch them and I’m perfectly satisfied.

I am in the same camp, have used the RCBS bench mounted primer for years. I have tried hand primers and they are not easier or faster or seat more consistent. I do not believe using other priming tools to crush ( distort the primer ) is going to increase accuracy.

This is a nice looking unit. But it works on the theory that every primer pocket is the same depth. I have used the RCBS Automatic Primer Seater and after 100K+ rounds there have been no misfires. Primers are meant to be seated until the primer cup bottoms out in the pocket. That puts the primer exactly where the primer manufacturer wants it...how they designed it. Need proof? Call any primer manufacturer and they will tell you.

The RCBS Automatic Primer Seater allows you to feel when the primer is fully seated, no matter how deep the pocket is. This isn't a case of spending money with me. I just don't see how this new seater can be better than one that allows you to feel the seating action.

...or all I had was my slow (but good) Forster co-ax and saw this, thought it looked fast and precise (and it is), and it's not terribly expensive. Didn't know the RCBS even existed, pretty new to this hobby.

Reactions: secondofangle2
...or all I had was my slow (but good) Forster co-ax and saw this, thought it looked fast and precise (and it is), and it's not terribly expensive. Didn't know the RCBS even existed, pretty new to this hobby.
Yea that’s what I’m looking at another priming solution. I’m using my co-ax and that’s the slowest part of my operation now.

The willingness of reloaders to throw their money - lots of it - at the newest mouse trap, despite utter lack of any evidence of significant advantage, or any deficiency of their current equipment is bewildering

I can get behind stuff that might have some perceived benefit even if ridiculous small.....like primer seating depth or rim thickness. At least there's something that's actually different there, even if it doesn't matter.

But the other stuff......like the shell holders from this company. Having a tighter fit from top to bottom not he shell holder will literally do nothing for rim thickness variation and primer seating. As long as the primer seating rod pushes the case up until it stops at the top of the rim.....it doesn't matter if it's' 5" or .005"......you will still have the exact same primer seating depth variation in relation to rim thickness.

In fact, tighter shell holders might actually make quality of life worse if it slows you down putting cases in or taking them out of the tighter shell holder.

Yes. Made for DAA, Dillon, RCBS, etc.
Hey, does that tab that you press hurt your thumb at all? This thing does look pretty cool, and the fact that it feeds with a dillon tube is a big factor for me. I get good results from my FA hand primers and I have one for 223, 6cm, and 308/6.5cm, so I don't have to change anything out, so I'm just not sure if this would be better for me. Pushing the little tab each time seems like it would get kind of old though??

Hey, does that tab that you press hurt your thumb at all? This thing does look pretty cool, and the fact that it feeds with a dillon tube is a big factor for me. I get good results from my FA hand primers and I have one for 223, 6cm, and 308/6.5cm, so I don't have to change anything out, so I'm just not sure if this would be better for me. Pushing the little tab each time seems like it would get kind of old though??
Definitely not. It's smooth. And certainly nicer that shuttling the CPS. I can film a video and post it if necessary.

I can get behind stuff that might have some perceived benefit even if ridiculous small.....like primer seating depth or rim thickness. At least there's something that's actually different there, even if it doesn't matter.

But the other stuff......like the shell holders from this company. Having a tighter fit from top to bottom not he shell holder will literally do nothing for rim thickness variation and primer seating. As long as the primer seating rod pushes the case up until it stops at the top of the rim.....it doesn't matter if it's' 5" or .005"......you will still have the exact same primer seating depth variation in relation to rim thickness.

In fact, tighter shell holders might actually make quality of life worse if it slows you down putting cases in or taking them out of the tighter shell holder.
Doesn't matter too much.

But the shellholders from Ugly Annealing are nicer than Lee and cheaper than the 'nicer' ones from Sinclair (which I use on the CPS).

All things aside, the CPS and this PCPS are both a joy to use. At the end of the day, I prime 95% of my rounds using an autodrive. 😂

Definitely not. It's smooth. And certainly nicer that shuttling the CPS. I can film a video and post it if necessary.
Why does the guy say to call before ordering? I got the LEE acp (which was a lot of trouble to get and costly for what it is), and it just wouldn't work for my purposes. It actually would work really well for other purposes though, I'm shocked no one has bought it off me yet.

Anywho, I'm still looking for my preferred priming method, and this looks good (though I will keep my FA hand primers for priming while watching tv ect). I think I get the motion of it and all. If you have a chance I'd like to see a video but don't sweat it.

Reactions: NiteQwill
Why does the guy say to call before ordering? I got the LEE acp (which was a lot of trouble to get and costly for what it is), and it just wouldn't work for my purposes. It actually would work really well for other purposes though, I'm shocked no one has bought it off me yet.

Anywho, I'm still looking for my preferred priming method, and this looks good (though I will keep my FA hand primers for priming while watching tv ect). I think I get the motion of it and all. If you have a chance I'd like to see a video but don't sweat it.
I'll try to get a video once I get home.

Carl asks to call because he doesn't like taking your money if it's not in stock. He answers 7 days a week BTW. Nice guy.

Carl asks to call because he doesn't like taking your money if it's not in stock. He answers 7 days a week BTW. Nice guy.
Yep, spoke to him today. He expects them shortly, but doesn’t have any on hand right now.

Ok, but he won't like, be mad if I ordered it and then called him tomorrow? I am likely to just get busy with work and will forget until tomorrow after hours, and I'm not calling anyone after hours for work. I will text if I know them well but that's it.

Ok, but he won't like, be mad if I ordered it and then called him tomorrow? I am likely to just get busy with work and will forget until tomorrow after hours, and I'm not calling anyone after hours for work. I will text if I know them well but that's it.
Unlikely. My guess is he will just put you to the front of the line. :)