• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate 4x4 Range Vehicle Under $10k

fockell

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 5, 2009
SC, Kansas
Guys, I am looking at buying a new-used rig, currently I have all 2wd vehicles, but this time going for a 4x4. I know that I want something with a full four doors, and to haul 2-4 guys and their shooting gear. Want it to be built on at least a 1/2 ton chassis to be able to pull a trailer from time to time. I have not committed to a SUV or Truck and actually torn. Anyone have any offering? Thanks Brandon

Re: Ultimate 4x4 Range Vehicle Under $10k

Cherokee's can be had for cheap. Darned good vehicle's with a bulletproof engine. The one I drive now is my favorite cage that I have ever owned. A few months ago, I bought a wrecked 95 Cherokee for 200 bucks, straightened the fenders, and slapped a coat of paint on it, and sold it for 2500 bucks. The lady that bought it, loves that one too.

Look for a 97-99 model as the have the best combo of high pinion Dana frt axle with Crycorp 8.25 rear diff.

Mac

Edit to add: Just realized Your requirement for a half ton vehicle. A Cherokee won't fill that bill. I'm sure there are plenty of people on here with knowledge on the larger trucks that will chime in.

If you like chevy trucks a 97-98 1500 z71 with the 350 motor will run hard and the maintaince on the is simple. Alternatively, you could go with a ford maybe around a 2000 f 150 with high milage to fit your price range. Benefit to the ford f150 is it wont be hard to find a 4 door and they are pretty tuff. I drive a 2006 4 door f 150 4x4 and couldn't be happier but I do not think you can get one of hose in your price range.

If you wanted to go all out for just a little more money this is definitely the way to go!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/M35a2-Mil...=item2eaf9a4672

Ford is my first choice, but would consider others. I have been looking at Excursions with V-10's also. I am sure they are gas hogs but I don't plan on driving it daily so that is not a huge concern. Seems like I can get more for my money in the used SUV market rather than trucks. Thanks

BTW, I really would consider a duece if they were Quad cabs. Did they every make anything like that?

I'd look around for a soccer mom's highway queen SUV first. They're never abused, maintained well, and with the latest fuel efficiency craze, they're unloading them dirt cheap. The trucks built up already as an ass stompin' 4x4 have already had their ass stomped, and get ready for high maintenance costs. Learned that one the hard way myself.

I owned a F250, Ford Explorer and Expedition at the same time, all 4x4, and the Explorer seen a lot more trail time than the others due to it being thinner with a shorter wheelbase-easy as hell to negotiate the skinny overgrown trails. If you're going to get a pick-up, make sure you at least have a cap on the bed too. Nothing sucks worse than getting rain/snow all over your kit, and that is the other reason my SUVs spend so much time in the woods vs. the F250.

Also, a word of wisdom a gear-head buddy gave me when I was truck shopping. "When buying a truck always get the largest engine available. You already have crappy fuel mileage, so you might as well have the horsepower and torque to go with it." I haven't bought a V6 since.

fockell....what's with the SUV / 4x4 stuff??? You're not a soccer mum are you??

MAN UP, FELLA!

All the boys are going 6x6 these days....

What you need is an old Stally like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mr_pCrhTkk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDqPzKOj9nc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEuDRu2lBfQ&feature=related

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Loads available under GBP 4,000 in the UK.

Even with costs of shipping/importing to the US if you play your cards right you could make some money....found a guy in Florida advertising one at $16,000....not sure about his paint scheme though....looks like he's been watching too mmany episodes of "Pimp my Ride"!

http://www.machinerytrader.co.uk/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=7054385

I am kind of a softy, AC would be nice, but if I was driving a bobbed deuce I could do with out. Has anyone bought a deuce from Gov liquidation I see them on there from time to time, not sure how in the hell I would get it home. Road trip!

just recently picked up a 92 f350 4 door. onr of the toughest trucks ive seen. big block engine high pinion dana 60 front end, ice cold air. no power windows or locks to mess up on me. threw on a set of hummer double beadlocks, arb air locker, and a warn 16000lb whinch, and im wayyy under 10k with a solid truck. got it from the forestry service, here in florida its a good place for cheap 4wd's

I'd look for a old M1009 CUCV (K5 Blazer). 3/4 ton, 4x4, no A/C & only 2 doors, but it'll carry 4 guys and shooting gear. I bet you could get one for under $5K and they usually all have pretty low mileage. You could do a lot of mods and make an awesome war wagon with the remainder of your budget.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: purdue_para151</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd look for a old M1009 CUCV (K5 Blazer). 3/4 ton, 4x4, no A/C & only 2 doors, but it'll carry 4 guys and shooting gear. I bet you could get one for under $5K and they usually all have pretty low mileage. You could do a lot of mods and make <span style="font-weight: bold">an awesome war wagon</span> with the remainder of your budget. </div></div>

War wagon? Step away from that Mack Bolan novel slowly ...

stonypeople.jpg

grin.gif

I was just looking at Toyo 4Runners but gees, even the cheapest model is like $26K! Outrageous.

There's a website that sells really really nicely rebuilt Toyos, jeeps and a lot of older, great condition 4x4s. I'll try to find it and post it.

+1 on the Jeep Cherokees btw. About 2 years ago, I bought a 2000 with 86,000miles on it and man, that thing was a life saver last winter. Tremendous turning radius for tight spots. And you see them all over the place which suggests to me that they just keep running.

Does anyone on here have a Duece? I would like to hear there opinion. I have read that they are really under-powered and a maintenance problem. Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does anyone on here have a Duece? I would like to hear there opinion. I have read that they are really under-powered and a maintenance problem. Thanks </div></div>

You do not want one unless you need it. The turning radius, fuel consumption, weight, ride, and width will make you hate yourself for getting one. I have one for our ranch truck hauling cows and hay and it is a pain in the ass to drive once you get off of the ranch.

I and many of my friends have a 2005 (Or similar year) Chevy/GMC 1/2 ton (1500) Z-71 extra cab pickup (4 door) with the 6 foot bed. The Z-71's have one of the best 4 wheel drive units I have seen yet.
Low range is a creeping monster puller that thinks it's a freight train.
High range four wheel drive is great off road when speeds increase, heavy snow,deep mudd.
It has four wheel on the fly for highway driving in snow and heavy downpours.
If you keep these trucks matched with good tires, then there is not many places you can't go. I use mine to pull down trees in my tree service, pull logs when I need to. My wife drives a 2003 Avalanche Z-71 and loves it and shes from snow country in Tahoe/Sierra Nevada.
We get around 19 MPG on highway if we keep foot out of them and hardly any issues to speak of. I do nothing but city driving/ short hauls and I have trailers and equipment hooked to mine all the time and use it like a work truck and I still get 14.5 MPG. \
It has 315 hp and will fly for a bone stock truck.
These vehicles ride like a firm cadilac and you can take your whole family anywhere in the country in air conditioned/heated comfort.
These can be found used for $10,000 and sometimes below.
.............SmokeRolls

Here is a pic of my 2001 Land Rover , I added the roof rack and front winch bumper. Just installed a superwinch and waiting on a lift. These can be had pretty cheap, I bought another for the wife the green one for $400.00 on craigslist that was not running but had it running in 30 min. (hose on fuel pump come undone in tank)
smile.gif

IMG_0646.jpg

IMG_0550.jpg

Or find yourself an old military Mercedes Unimog. Portal axles for great clearance and gear reduction.

PA170288.jpg

Unimog-5609.jpg

This gets me around my farm and gun range.....

2008 Kawasaki Teryx. 840 Big Bore Kit. Suspension kit. All kinds of goodies. Still waiting on the cage and race seats.

2jdkw90.jpg

I was in the same shopping mode earlier this year, and I settled on an off road Polaris. True you can get on road vehicles cheaper, but everything is a trade off,and buying a dedicated off road UTV is a decision I dont regret one bit.

Here is my range vehicle.

I drive it cross country at 30 MPH in the same places my truck has to crawl. It also has thermal imaging which you will enjoy a lot more than AC, but thats my opinion...
smile.gif
The 20 inch red lightbar in the center is good to 300 yards, and the two white floods are good to 200 yards. 15,000+ lumens total

4844767827_ce5e8ff010.jpg

Used a Unimog as our hunting vehicle in Namibia, and gained a whole differnt type of respect for that vehicle. If that thing would actually run highway speed I would dump my 96 Bronco for one in a heartbeat.

I've been really happy with my 2000 Jeep Cherokee. It's my daily driver but it has taken me through some challenging trails in Moab, Utah. However, those Unimogs & the bobbed Deuce look pretty damn cool.

I bought a 97 Cherokee in 2002 that had 60k on it and drove that sucker into the ground. Great vehicle that survived Moab, UT, crosscountry treks, and all kinds of bad weather. Why Jeep ever discontinued that workhorse is beyond me. That's a great vehicle, and these days you can find them for good prices.

As suggested a well maintained Suburban, or Expedition would work well for match trips. About 4 guys is max for continued good cheer. Have been on several 3 gun match trips in a Suburban and it works well.

Pics guys c'mon....

I went with a 98 two door tahoe 4wd
has only 133k miles on it. I fixed it up pretty nice. Got some maintenance help from Mechanic here on the hide. It is my daily driver now. When I go hunting i take my 6x10 trailer or the hitch insert.

100_0757.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This gets me around my farm and gun range.....

2008 Kawasaki Teryx. 840 Big Bore Kit. Suspension kit. All kinds of goodies. Still waiting on the cage and race seats.

2jdkw90.jpg
</div></div>
Thats cool. It's about time that Kawasaki added some zing to the four wheel sport utility.
.......SmokeRolls

Kawasaki didn't really do much with it. I added the big bore kit. It will scream now. The only thing they did right was put a 750 vtwin in it with a good frame.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Kawasaki didn't really do much with it. I added the big bore kit. It will scream now. The only thing they did right was put a 750 vtwin in it with a good frame. </div></div>It's a sweet looking UTV.

I have been looking at surburans and excursions. Not sure on the Gm diesel, but I know the 7.3 powerstroke is a proven engine. What about the V-10's in the ford? Thanks

Shy away from the v-10 unless you want to feed it a LOT of gas. Expect around 10 MPG or worse. Fuel prices won't be going down either. The 7.3 is a solid motor. The 6.5 chevys generally give trouble around 100,000-125,000 so they're generally not as durable as the powerstrokes (sucks as I always liked GM's). Maybe this helps. I've owned them all and had some problems with all but the powerstrokes had the fewest and averaged around 20 MPG. Good luck.

I use a GM 1 ton 3+3. I built a custom 3 link front suspension setup with nitrogen charged coil-overs and 39 inch Baja Claws. It carrys six men very comfortably plus has an 8-foot bed to haul targets, rifles, and gear. I put a bed box in it to carry shooting mats, sleeping bags (for winter shooting), etc. I tow a 2-place snowmobile trailer which carrys a Gator and doubles as a shooting platform. I use the Gator to run to the targets.

I love this setup. I built it just for shooting and it does its job perfectly. I am into the truck for about 5K and have a truck that is virtually bulletproof, goes almost anywhere, and does not matter if it runs through brush and gets scratched.

This is the only picture of it I have right now but here it is:
375shooting019.jpg

375shooting005.jpg

box028.jpg

Volvo C-303, seats 7 thats w seat belts, and the rear bench folds down to seat 6 back to back, or you can fold it down to the floor and have a flat bed and still fit 4. Nothing fancy, port axles w/ air lockers, never gets stuck with 4 wheel on demand, slimmer then a full size tuck, 45 degree approach angles front and rear, 6cl volvo engine parts are ever where, drum breaks from a land rover, unleaded gas, high and low range gears, 4 speed manual, mid mounted engine, literally work on it from the back or divers compartment. 24 volt system, Im in the process of acquiring the parts to make it 12, easy to work on, doors are removable down to the bottoms of the windows or completely, back cab is removable to where its basically a pickup truck, aluminum body, so no rust, little under 1800lbs but not confirmed. Quiet as can be, stock 18in of ground clearance, Ive pulled everything imaginable out of mud holes including Hummers, including H1's, top speed about 50 but I wouldn't care to go over that. Painted for the heck of it, Herkulinered the back and redid the front for shits.... not as good as them chrome rims but not bad for someone working in their brothers grage during leave. They can be found for lil under 10, street legal and fun to drive, makes all the ladies look lol. I could part with mine for 10, its got baja radials on it as well.
photo.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: N2DADARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Volvo C-303, seats 7 thats w seat belts, and the rear bench folds down to seat 6 back to back, or you can fold it down to the floor and have a flat bed and still fit 4. Nothing fancy, port axles w/ air lockers, never gets stuck with 4 wheel on demand, slimmer then a full size tuck, 45 degree approach angles front and rear, 6cl volvo engine parts are ever where, drum breaks from a land rover, unleaded gas, high and low range gears, 4 speed manual, mid mounted engine, literally work on it from the back or divers compartment. 24 volt system, Im in the process of acquiring the parts to make it 12, easy to work on, doors are removable down to the bottoms of the windows or completely, back cab is removable to where its basically a pickup truck, aluminum body, so no rust, little under 1800lbs but not confirmed. Quiet as can be, stock 18in of ground clearance, Ive pulled everything imaginable out of mud holes including Hummers, including H1's, top speed about 50 but I wouldn't care to go over that. Painted for the heck of it, Herkulinered the back and redid the front for shits.... not as good as them chrome rims but not bad for someone working in their brothers grage during leave. They can be found for lil under 10, street legal and fun to drive, makes all the ladies look lol. I could part with mine for 10, its got baja radials on it as well.
photo.jpg

</div></div>

Ass not included...
wink.gif

XLR - you should LineX your truck. I have a friend that had a beater truck that he actually sunk some good money into outfitting it to make it a hunting rig but able to travel anywhere. He sprayed LineX from the door handles down, on the frame, wheel wells, and of course the bed. Its looks badass but it takes a beating. And supposedly LineX is somewhat bullet proof....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fockell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Fill out your profle! Where is the Volvo Located?</div></div>

Little Rock AFB, but Im not in country at the moment.

I think an older Cherokee or even Grand Cherokee (with the 6 cyl) is the best bang for the buck out there.

Or go on e-bay and find yourself a Deuce and a Half for no more than 5k, you'll be set with that, runs on practically anything you put in it, and never....ever gets stuck.

1993-1997 fzj80 LAND CRUSIER or lexus counterpart..I prefer the 93-94 with the big ass transmision.

GEAR drive tcase
AWD
Straight Axle 8" Hi pinion
Full float rear axle big ass ring gear 9"+
4.5let. 24 valve Inline 6
factory lockers on some models
4 doors
AC
rear heat
tail gate to work on guns
hatch to stand under when it rains
can shoot off roof and stand on rear bumper !
Width will hold the wide gun cases and a shit ton of them and gear.
AR15/Bolt gun rides like butter on bread beside the seat and console on each side
can be had in the $6000.00 to $15000.00 If you look around.. so 10k will be easy to get a good one,these where over $55,000.00 new..

OVER built for the task from the factory,I beat one weekly and its held up well.

It has more range miles than road miles I think ?

Beat this like I stole it ..was spotless 3 years AGO
grin.gif

Had ARB bumper/winch and a big ass drager rear bumper with tire carriers I took that Low speed hi Drag shit off it slows me Down..I do have some Light weight Hi entry/departure bumpers,But I keep selling them soon as I build them,,,

It will not Float ...Ask me how I know..No dont Ask please..

Lost a flair one day then another a year later,The white door handle is from my parts truck,I turned this on its side in the creek and when I went back to get it on its side the handle tore off the door from being on its side. All in All I think all that shit will Buff out ?
confused.gif

imageatpt.jpg

By asm1 at 2010-09-14

imageygf.jpg

By asm1 at 2010-09-14

I went with a 2001 Ford Excursion. Seem to be the best bang for the buck when it came to payload and offroad capabilities.

istock_horse.jpg

Perfect for when SHTF!
•Great maneuverability, zero turn radius.
•Extremely quiet; ideal for tactical maneuvering.
•Can cross most body of water via it's ability to swim.
•Virtually never gets stuck in snow or mud, but is susceptible to quicksand.
•Infinite Gas millage.
•Runs on grass.
•Preppy chicks won't be able to resist talking to you.
•You'll be able to elude the wrath of Hippies as they'll perceive it to be carbon neutral (despite all the methane coming out it's ass)
•Best of all, it can be eaten; perfect alternative to cannibalism in dire situations.

However there are some drawbacks...

•It only seats one (two in emergencies)
•I can not be left in the garage un-attended for months at a time.
•Changing shoes is a much bigger pain in the ass than motor oil.
•Smells bad
•Relatively slow on open roads.
•Gets tired.
•Often frightened by gun fire.

my horse does not smell bad, he's easier to shoe than changing the oil in most cars, and he doesn't have a problem with gunfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fast freddy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just recently picked up a 92 f350 4 door. onr of the toughest trucks ive seen. big block engine high pinion dana 60 front end, ice cold air. no power windows or locks to mess up on me. threw on a set of hummer double beadlocks, arb air locker, and a warn 16000lb whinch, and im wayyy under 10k with a solid truck. got it from the forestry service, here in florida its a good place for cheap 4wd's </div></div>

+1, or get a old school suburban with the sfa!