• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate all around 10/22 Build

catronro

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2011
Phoenix AZ
So after almost a year and a half of waffling on building a custom 10/22, I have jumped in with both feet.

For about a year I drooled over a complete rifle from Clark Customs, but after some research decided that for a couple hundred more dollars I could build it myself and perhaps have a little better quality components (a little better...Clark makes a great rifle). Plus nothing beats the gratification of putting together your own rifle.

The idea behind this build is to have a rifle that is very accurate on the bench as well as convenient for carrying while rabbit, squirrel, and general varmint hunting. So here are the parts I have ordered...

- Barrel: Lilja 16" 10/22 drop in - $370
- Robar black treatment $100 est.

- Stock: Bell and Carlson Heritage Stock (Black) - $121

- Trigger: KIDD Two-Stage Trigger (Black with Red Curve Trigger) - $289.95

- Receiver: I decided to not use a donor rifle and completely use custom parts...I went with KIDD, here is everything you need
- KIDD Classic Receiver (Black) - $200
- KIDD Bolt Buffer - $5.95
- KIDD CNC Bolt (Black Scalloped) - $135
- KID Cocking Assembly - $35.95
- KID Pins - $21.95

- Scope: Bushnell 3200 Elite Tactical 5x15x40 with scope rings and butler creek lens covers $275 (lightly used)...may end up putting a leupold I have on this rifle and using the Bushnell for something else.

All in looking around $1800...wow that adds up fast when you put it all together
smile.gif

Everything is ordered so now its a waiting game. Lilja has to make the barrel, couldn’t find anyone with the stock in-stock...so its going to be a couple weeks...THE AGONY

Once I get everything, look for pics

Re: Ultimate all around 10/22 Build

haha oh wow what a build list...

and I thought 40x's were pricey...

Def want to see some pictures tho.

Only thing I can add is dont skimp on the scope (not that the 3200 is trash by any means). The old addage, "Spend more on the scope than the rifle," is crazy, but well worth it in the long run. (haha not that I have ever done that, although I usually try to get close - I just put a zeiss on my 40x and the clarity compared to my older crap is amazing. I can now see the numbers on my target at 100 yds)

Regards,
DT

Why not go straight KIDD? Threaded barrel matched up by them... anyway, your decision... but - Pics or Shens!!!

D_TROS: I totally agree on the scope. I will probably upgrade later, but with all the other money I am spending it is, what it is for the time being. Still haven't decided on using the Bushnell or the Leupold...probably try both and see which I like (I am sure the answer will be Leupold). Regardless, I have some hunting rifles that I can use the Bushnell on if I end up not using it for this.

RicosRevenge: I hear ya...I went back and forth SOOOO many times. I really wanted a threaded barrel/receiver but Lilja wouldn't do a threaded barrel and I dont know/trust anyone out here to do it. In the end, I wanted the best money could buy, and from my research that is Lilja. Lilja says you can expect .2 at 50 and .7 at 100 and from what I read, if you can shoot it, the groups can easily get smaller. That's good enough for me
wink.gif

As for pictures...as soon as I have something to take a picture of, trust me, they will be up...followed by group info. Good thing is everything but the stock is in route to my house so hopefully it wont be too much longer.

My 10/22's are now but one.

It's a matter of owning what will do the hard job, and the easier ones just as well.

While exquisite performance can be had, and exquisite parts can be employed to do it; backing off a small notch on the demands can deliver nearly as good performance at a lot less cost.

For the barrel and stock, a fairly basic Butler Creek .920" muzzle diameter target barrel and stock combo will accomplish most of the accuracy gains the best can also produce.

I added Volquartsen trigger group internals and extended mag release. The basic factory grooved base, Tasco Medium Rimfire rings, and a Tasco VAR624X42M scope deliver a performance level that is far, far from shabby. I added a washer nder tehr ear base screw and glassbedded the base with the receiver, and it gave me additional elevation adjustment beyond the scope's own 75+ MOA. I can shoot way out to where I consider reasonable.

Now you can spend the extra and get a rifle that shoots recognizably better. But I also suspect that for many, the extra expense may not improve their marksmanship skills to where they can actually extract that recognizable improvement.

My 10/22 was not my first, or even my fifth. I started with precisely what I describe above. My latest has a Kimber barrel and stock, and I will not part with them. It shoots really, really well; but some days, I can only shoot it about on a par with my original Butler Creek setup.

I weep no tears in the process.

Greg

What kind of accuracy can these things do. I just bought a custom 10-22 and have shot it in the fields a few times but never at a target in a good location. It hits pretty good at 100 or so (we think) I'm outta town and cant wait to bring it on home to see what see can do. Bought it cause work has kept me out of town longer than expected and I didn't bring my rifle. I can't go very long with out shooting. This little rimfire has really helped me out.

Well, I took my 11 y/o Grandson out for his first range session (ever) last Summer and he shot 20 rd with mine off the bench on a 200yd FV200 Centerfire target set at 100yd. He scored 97/100. The five-ring is 1" in diameter. I think he got bored about halfway through the exercise.

Greg

Just got the receiver and put it together...dropped off the barrel for coating...still waiting on the stock

IMG_20110221_201540.jpg

Trigger housing is great.

I really like Volquartsen parts though. The steel Volquartsen reciever has a cone like clamp inside it that allows perfect alignement of the barrel.

Really though im running my old ruger reciever and all Volquartsen parts with Power Custom Ti internal parts and it shoots extremly well with Federal or Ealey ammunition. Just as good as my fathers Anschutz target rifle

You are going to love that Kidd trigger!

Nice setup - no KIDD barrel?

You will love it. Went the same way but got the KIDD barrel. If you are going to shoot subsonic ammo I suggest getting there -10% spring. It was a HUGE reliability improvement.You can get it separate (don't have to buy the spring kit).

Sorry about the bad cell phone pics.

photo1-2.jpg

photo2-2-1.jpg

After the longest wait in the history of mankind I finally have my rifle

IMG_0869.jpg

Unfortunately the scope I planned on using will not work, the crosshairs are too thick for target work. So I have ordered a new scope...hopefully its here by Friday so I can get to the range this weekend and see what this baby can do.

By the way does anyone know the recommended torque setting for the set screw?

wow nice looking set up...that red trigger really pops out at ya.

cant wait for range report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catronro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By the way does anyone know the recommended torque setting for the set screw? </div></div>

There isn't really a recommended torque setting; all rifles are different. I'd start somewhere aroud 18 inch pounds or so, and work up in increments of two. Just watch it as the groups come together. You'll hit a spot where the groups come together, and begin to open back up. That "come together" spot will be your rifles sweet spot.

Sweet looking rig.

simple, classic lines. very nice. i started at 16 in/lbs and moved up by 2. just watch out for false sweet spots. my rifle improved from 16 to 18, then worsened a little bit going to 20. classic wisdom would say go back to 18. I tried 22, 24 and 26 out of curiosity. 22 was a little better than 20 but not quite as good as 18. When i hit 24 in/lbs it was an obvious winner! Went up to 26 and the groups started to open up again. Sure glad I tried going higher and didn't settle on 18. Just my experience. repost pics with the scope when you can.

After a few hours at the range today a few things are apparent

- 4 months of no range time is no bueno
- This rifle will outshoot my abilities for a long time to come

Here is the only target I feel half way decent about showing (50Y - Wolf Target Match)
IMG_0001-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the rifle with the scope (Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 8.5-25x42... awesome scope for the money)
IMG_20110421_174554.jpg

Going back out tomorrow... going to be a long skill rebuilding process

eek.gif
And i thought i was going out on a limb spending $260 some on a new barrel and stock for mine.
whistle.gif

Nahh looks like a fun gun. I want to see what groups you get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: catronro</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After a few hours at the range today a few things are apparent

- 4 months of no range time is no bueno
- This rifle will outshoot my abilities for a long time to come

Here is the only target I feel half way decent about showing (50Y - Wolf Target Match)
IMG_0001-1.jpg

Here is a picture of the rifle with the scope (Hawke Sidewinder 30 Tactical 8.5-25x42... awesome scope for the money)
IMG_20110421_174554.jpg

Going back out tomorrow... going to be a long skill rebuilding process </div></div> try loading the bipod a bit more... wait.. nevermind...

HAHA speaking of bipod but is it on backwards in the second picture?

i just propped it up on the bipod for the second pic...yes it is backwards
crazy.gif

Where did you pick up your Hawke Sidewinder? Thinking about one for my Anschutz 64 MP R when it gets here.