• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultimate Reloader - Badass or Bellend?

Thoughts on Ultimate Reloader/ Gavin Toobe

• Valuable resource

Votes: 14 15.7%
  • Paid Shill

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • Bellend

Votes: 8 9.0%

• Total voters
And when ol' Johnny would F something up, he'd leave it in and explain what he did. That's some integrity there in the modern era of simple video editing. Too bad he got burned out...I used to put him on for background noise as I was charging cases.
I would cast his YT videos to the TV and every time he mentioned "blowing your face off" my little one would cackle.

I think he still does content but he moved away from YouTube and does more on Patron now. With YouTube demonetization of gun content, I can't blame him.

Mike

Some of you guys need to change your tampons out!

So what he gets money from the manufacturer or they send him stuff for free who gives a fuck if you like the product check out if you don’t don’t watch it!

My God some of you guys act like the biggest bunch of bitches!

Show us on the Gavin doll where he hurt!

So what he gets money from the manufacturer or they send him stuff for free who gives a fuck if you like the product check out if you don’t don’t watch it!

The issue I think most people have is if you're going to give an unbiased review, you should state the relationship with the manufacturer and any compensation you did receive. This is standard across all industries.

What rubs people wrong is his videos are standard advertisement for a product. This is fine, of course... If disclosed ahead of time.

300 win performance out of a 308! . the only other cartridge in a .473 bf that might come close imo is the 30/06 ack imp or the 30-284win

Attachments

• pocorn.gif
    pocorn.gif
    1.8 KB · Views: 6
The issue I think most people have is if you're going to give an unbiased review, you should state the relationship with the manufacturer and any compensation you did receive. This is standard across all industries.

What rubs people wrong is his videos are standard advertisement for a product. This is fine, of course... If disclosed ahead of time.
I hear what you are saying, but in this day and age if you don't approach anything and everything with skepticism then you are very naive at best and a fool at worst.

I’ve met Gavin a a few times. Had some good conversations. Here’s my take.

In the beginning I enjoyed his content as he was doing it for himself. Today I’d say he falls more as a paid shill. However, he has started his own rifle company. Not may of us can say that. He does have a great eye for detail and knows how to operate machinery. But most videos feel like long ads as has been said. I haven’t seen anything negative about a product on his channel in a long time and that is suspicious. Even the best products have issues. But it’s a resource and shouldn’t be discounted. It just shouldn’t be the only source of anything.

Editingvthis to expand on the ad thing. I don’t personally have an issue with it. He showcases a lot of products that maybe I wouldn’t know about especially in the reloading space. I just feel that there is a lack of transparency because they are clearly sponsored ads. That’s all.

Last edited:

So you are a big fan of infomercials?

Put your Gavin doll away. Do that in private.

Despite knowing better I bought into the UR click bait on the below video about pushing 308win to 300wm performance.
I thought perhaps they'd use an exotic powder, or some new projectile to squeeze maximum velocity out of the 308 case.

But all they did was load too much Varget into a 308 case, get some over pressure loads, and still fall 300fps short of 300wm performance.
Something everybody already knew.

I general don't watch the UR videos on YouTube, 95% of the time they are just 30minute long advertisements. There is the odd video that has some useful information but for the most part the videos are a waste of time. The YouTube feature of most replayed part of the video is vitally important here.

You spelled 30-06 AI wrong.

I haven’t seen anything negative about a product on his channel in a long time and that is suspicious. Even the best products have issues.
This ^^^

That was another thing I noticed early on. There were never any negatives or "this could be better" statements made... Everything he tests is a great product.

I did appreciate the video he did where he compared all the presses... The different features and how they stacked up against each other.

I have to wonder how many manufacturers would drop him like a rock if he didn't give a glowing endorsement of their product... To me, that says a lot more about them than it does him. If I ever produced a product, especially for the gun community, I would want honest appraisals of my product. Then I could use the input to make a superior product... But that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

Mike

This ^^^

That was another thing I noticed early on. There were never any negatives or "this could be better" statements made... Everything he tests is a great product.

I did appreciate the video he did where he compared all the presses... The different features and how they stacked up against each other.

I have to wonder how many manufacturers would drop him like a rock if he didn't give a glowing endorsement of their product... To me, that says a lot more about them than it does him. If I ever produced a product, especially for the gun community, I would want honest appraisals of my product. Then I could use the input to make a superior product... But that doesn't seem to be the case these days.

Mike
Isn’t that what reviews on 3rd party sellers websites are for? I get on a brand new product that doesn’t exist, but then if it’s a new product then we are all just Beta testing for the first generation anyway aren’t we?

This ^^^

Mike
They’re not paying for reviews. They’re paying for commercials.

Imagine, if you will…

(Wavy lines, wavy lines, wavy lines)

A couple of clapped out folding chairs groaning under the ponderous weight of their occupants. A group of middle aged “has-beens” kick through coarse beach sand, gasping for air as they make a vane effort to “play volleyball.” Florida-Georgia lLne warbles thinly out of an aging boom box. Too much weathered, lobster red skin hangs- limply- from too little bikini. Beside her, a somewhat below ambient temperature bottle of domestic beer sweats sickly beads of condensation.

“Hey Marge. You gonna drink that beer?”

“No, it tastes like piss.”

“You’d know.”

Yeah, that’s not how you sell beer…

Wait, what are you bitching and crying about?

God damn, some of you never stop crying. If you dont like the thread, check out.

Show us where the pit touched you.

• Haha
Reactions: Steel+Killer
Isn’t that what reviews on 3rd party sellers websites are for? I get on a brand new product that doesn’t exist, but then if it’s a new product then we are all just Beta testing for the first generation anyway aren’t we?

They’re not paying for reviews. They’re paying for commercials.

Imagine, if you will…

(Wavy lines, wavy lines, wavy lines)

A couple of clapped out folding chairs groaning under the ponderous weight of their occupants. A group of middle aged “has-beens” kick through coarse beach sand, gasping for air as they make a vane effort to “play volleyball.” Florida-Georgia lLne warbles thinly out of an aging boom box. Too much weathered, lobster red skin hangs- limply- from too little bikini. Beside her, a somewhat below ambient temperature bottle of domestic beer sweats sickly beads of condensation.

“Hey Marge. You gonna drink that beer?”

“No, it tastes like piss.”

“You’d know.”

Yeah, that’s not how you sell beer…
I honestly don't think there are very many companies who give a rat's ass about anything other than moving merchandise now...

The smaller guys making stuff in a shop by themselves or with a few employees probably do... But as far as the big firms that are household names... They don't care one bit what anyone thinks of their product as long as they can dupe enough people into buying their stuff.

Just my take on marketing nowadays.

Mike

Stopped watching Ultimate Advertiser long time ago. He give little to no useful information about reloading or even shooting. Same goes to the South African, Impact Advertiser. It's like watching a advertisement for MDT and Vortex every single video.

Reactions: diggler1833
I get really good ideas from UR as a starting point, do my own R&D and go from there.
What Gavin has access to and the knowledge he has is valuable. Is it gospel? No. But I do appreciate the legwork done

I agree with you on that @Kickin45 .. he has knowledge, and has access to lots of gear and insider info..

If he presented his channel differently, id be all in.
I think he needs to rebrand himself, he could be a power house.

Window licker has similar, and he has the mental knowledge of a half eaten moldy potato. Whats your point ?

Wanna crack 500k, get good.

Reactions: kthomas
Several years ago there was someone like him in the air gun world, Ted's Holdover. Started fairly good showing stuff you could do with entry level products to make them just a little better in this or that area. He even did a two part test on an $89 air rifle from walmart, giving its good and bads as a starter air rifle.

Then.......

You could see the content change, no longer was it the $400 rifles, it was the $4000 rifles, and every one of them just fantastic. On and on it went, and he turned into just what this guy, and about every other guy turns into, a shill. They do tell you this video is "supported" by X,Y, or Z, but so quickly if you blink you miss it.

Then one day it happened, the voices for him to "review" a very popular new air rifle that set the world on its ear, a regulated air rifle in the $400 range, not possible. Finally he "reviewed" it. And it started a shit storm that destroyed everything he made. He destroyed this rifle, a rifle by this time was in peoples hands, they knew exactly what it was, but hey still wanted to see what old Ted had to say about it. Well it was not made by someone sending him checks so this is the single worst thing on the planet, he goes to the extent to fake issues with it. Read numbers on the gun and lead people to think that is really crazy and totally. Mixing up the regulated pressure with the fill pressure. On this type of air gun you fill it with air, say for example 3500 psi. When the gun shoots it will use 800psi. He told people it was an 800lb fill.

Other youtube people lambasted him, dozens of videos went up in a total dogpile. He pulled the video but damage done.

I bet this is 10 years ago and he is still nothing like he was.

It is a classic example of if you can say nothing nice don't say anything at all.

It damaged his brand a little like the "play authentic" did to gibson. A quick look could not find the video, but I did find gibsons.

He's doing pretty well on his own, without the advise of random SnipersHide members. How many subs do you have?

I think the point being made is that UR has the potential to have a lot more appeal and success on top of what he already has, if he decides to take up objective and thoughtful reviews and other video content.

He certainly is doing okay now. But there's a very definite ceiling if a lot of individuals think you are just a grifter.

Reactions: iceng
Several years ago there was someone like him in the air gun world, Ted's Holdover. Started fairly good showing stuff you could do with entry level products to make them just a little better in this or that area. He even did a two part test on an $89 air rifle from walmart, giving its good and bads as a starter air rifle.

Then.......

You could see the content change, no longer was it the $400 rifles, it was the $4000 rifles, and every one of them just fantastic. On and on it went, and he turned into just what this guy, and about every other guy turns into, a shill. They do tell you this video is "supported" by X,Y, or Z, but so quickly if you blink you miss it.

Then one day it happened, the voices for him to "review" a very popular new air rifle that set the world on its ear, a regulated air rifle in the $400 range, not possible. Finally he "reviewed" it. And it started a shit storm that destroyed everything he made. He destroyed this rifle, a rifle by this time was in peoples hands, they knew exactly what it was, but hey still wanted to see what old Ted had to say about it. Well it was not made by someone sending him checks so this is the single worst thing on the planet, he goes to the extent to fake issues with it. Read numbers on the gun and lead people to think that is really crazy and totally. Mixing up the regulated pressure with the fill pressure. On this type of air gun you fill it with air, say for example 3500 psi. When the gun shoots it will use 800psi. He told people it was an 800lb fill.

Other youtube people lambasted him, dozens of videos went up in a total dogpile. He pulled the video but damage done.

I bet this is 10 years ago and he is still nothing like he was.

It is a classic example of if you can say nothing nice don't say anything at all.

It damaged his brand a little like the "play authentic" did to gibson. A quick look could not find the video, but I did find gibsons.

People want authenticity.

When I really want to know how a product performs, I usually type in "__________ (product) + issues or problems". A lot of times, it brings me back to this site where I can read about guys who have actually not have something perform as advertised...Plus I can read dudes 'motherfu@k' each other back and forth over their opinions...a win/win :ROFLMAO: .

I almost never get a straight answer anymore on YouTube. Either it is a paid shill with a quarter million subscribers, or some random cock holster with 250 subscribers trying to make a name for himself because he wants to be a paid shill. Or worse yet, some moron who misuses a piece of equipment and bases his opinions on the results of a flawed application.

Guys like the Ultimate Advertiser (I like that from above), used to have great instructional how-to videos. I enjoy those because there are times when I do get something new, and I want to see how it operates before I misuse a piece of equipment and get poor results and opinions based on flawed application.

Dudes like the Overblown Window Licker are either buying subscribers and views with his obvious bullshitted videos, or we as a community are doomed.

Define that.

People want genuine and authentic thoughts.

They want the presenter to provide their authentic thoughts on a given topic or subject. They want to know that the presenter truly means and believes what they say.

You're not getting that with Gavin. There's no way he likes 100% of every product, that he wouldn't change a thing. That there's absolutely no critique or comments on how a product has been designed and how it performs.

Gavin is telling you what the manufacturers of said products want him to tell you. You are not getting Gavin's genuine and authentic thoughts and perspective when it comes to his product reviews.

Reactions: fpgt72
Ultimate Reloader's job is to inform and entertain. The information part is not there because there's no critical review of the product he's showing. He is paid to show you the product, so it's more a marketing tool than an informational tool.

Hickock45 is in a similar boat. I've never heard Hickock say a negative thing about a product and probably never will. That's how he's supplementing his retirement, and good for him.

He's a dweeb. I get annoyed every time he points at the camera with both of his hands when he talks, which is constantly

Yall see the UFC ppv a few weeks ago where Mark Zuckerberg was in the corner for Volkanovski? And looked completely out of place?

That's how I imagine Gavin looks at ShotShow

• Haha
Reactions: 748rpilot
I just watched Gavin's video about reamers. It was informative. It also has the guy from 4d rentals doing the explaining and then talking about the reamer rental business. I am waiting on stuff from 4d as I type. It is good to see a face to go along with the company name.

I just watched Gavin's video about reamers. It was informative. It also has the guy from 4d rentals doing the explaining and then talking about the reamer rental business. I am waiting on stuff from 4d as I type. It is good to see a face to go along with the company name.
And that is why this works.

Nothing bad with that, just know going in.

Reactions: Jscb1b
In the video What do you think his peak pressure was?

He shows charts and makes it sound like he was over 80,000 psi, maybe higher. And next to no pressure signs on brass.
I thought brass would flow somewhere around 80k?

But I doubt that. Wouldn’t physics take over?

In the video What do you think his peak pressure was?

He shows charts and makes it sound like he was over 80,000 psi, maybe higher. And next to no pressure signs on brass.
I thought brass would flow somewhere around 80k?

But I doubt that. Wouldn’t physics take over?
Who knows. To really know what the peak pressure, you will need some kind of piezoelectric transducer that can measure it in real time. He was just using the data and trying to interpolate it through QL. While QL is a pretty useful tool, I can get into load well over max listed in QL and not run into pressures.

My takeaway from the video is that it's just a long advertisement for Alpha brass. Other brass manufactures can probably do the same loads and not have issues.

Reactions: Makinchips208