• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ultra 7 10.5oz Heavy after 28k rounds of 6.5 CM

This may be a stupid question...
Does the CLR have any affect on the Cerakote finish?

I’ve used the stuff around the house for various things and that stuff can do some nasty stuff if it hits some materials. Was just curious if additional precautions are needed when cleaning a TBAC.

Yes, CLR will change the color of Cerekote if left in too long.

I'm late to this thread. I always thought centerfire rifle cans did not need to be cleaned... I'm guessing I was wrong?

PVC pipe with appropriately sized caps creates a good chamber to clean suppressors with. Fill with your choice of carbon remover (I use BoreTech) and let it sit for a while. Once it’s had a chance to soak, I’ll put it in my FA stainless media tumbler - without the pins obviously - just water and lemi shine. Rinse and repeat as necessary. Works great.
That’s a great idea to use the tumbler (rubber coated inside) without the pins! I had not thought of that. So simple it’s genius.

Reactions: just browsing
B8F0BA11-02E1-4496-9B3A-3B7032A033BE.jpeg

New unfired Ultra 9 weight 11 5/8 oz
E280E61A-2607-4A66-89F7-26CBFC31D35A.jpeg

Ultra 7 after approximately 5000 rounds of 308, weight 13 3/4 oz.

Weighed on 5lb food scale. Totally unscientific method.

After 12,000 rounds of 6.5 Creedmoor, .223, .300 blackout, .300 PRC, .308, etc... My SRT arms weighs 7.7oz heavier than new. Just started CLR cycles tonight.

Reactions: black5.3
C3D13FD1-CE89-4AE6-B895-A6F1C2512F7A.jpeg
After months of soaking its finally back to new weight specs. (my previous post shows the weight of the Ultra 7 after 5000 rounds and new Ultra 9 for comparison)

Soaked with CLR and CVS pill container
CB65511C-51D8-4609-A8B2-F75B9041306F.jpeg

Soak until CLR in pill container gets a good amount of carbon, rinse with water, weigh and repeat process.
BC439367-F182-4A04-A238-8F32EC432F70.jpeg

The lesson I learned from this is don’t shoot 5000 rounds of 308 before cleaning, weigh often to check if cleaning is needed, and when its time to clean just send it to TBAC.
It doesn’t hurt to have an extra Ultra in hand so that you don’t go unsuppressed while a suppressor is being cleaned at TBAC.
Thanks for reading.

View attachment 7229571
New unfired Ultra 9 weight 11 5/8 oz
View attachment 7229573
Ultra 7 after approximately 5000 rounds of 308, weight 13 3/4 oz.

Weighed on 5lb food scale. Totally unscientific method.

Curious.
Its been shot with Varget 80% of the time with the AIAX.
10% with Varget shot with OBR 308.
10% with FGMM.
Thats it I think.

We did clean it and send it back. We had it for several weeks.

When mine went in for a replacement endcap, I think ~4 weeks of my wait on the repair was TBAC just getting the carbon from ~4k rounds of 223 out of the can. I'd love to know how much they actually had to clean out.

My Ultra 7 was about 5.5oz overweight when I finally learned how to properly clean it. And it probably only had about 6000rds on it, of various cartridges. I would definitely echo the folks in here that say stay on top of it. It took me just over a week of soaking in CLR to get it down to 10oz. I'd bet there's a market for some sort of recirculating pump, bubbling device, or automated/ periodic compressed air nozzle tool that jets it every hour while soaking.
I think the device in question would be akin to a hydraulics "Kidney Pump". When a cylinder fails LOTS of metal gets in the system and places like Catterpillar hook up the reservoir outlet and inlet to the machine and it circulates the fluid through a bank of filters to remove the contaminants. Swap the hydraulic oil for CLR, spin up adapters for both ends of the can and hit go. I think it could be ideal for manufactures that clean but pricey for the end user...

I think the device in question would be akin to a hydraulics "Kidney Pump". When a cylinder fails LOTS of metal gets in the system and places like Catterpillar hook up the reservoir outlet and inlet to the machine and it circulates the fluid through a bank of filters to remove the contaminants. Swap the hydraulic oil for CLR, spin up adapters for both ends of the can and hit go. I think it could be ideal for manufactures that clean but pricey for the end user...

I'd bet a power supply like this connected to a peristaltic pump like this would recirculate solvent nicely for about $40. You would likely have to upgrade to an Arduino if you want periodic pumping or spraying.

What powder was that? In the past I've shot that many rounds with only a fraction of the deposits. There is a pretty wide variability between powders.

Which powders have you found to be best/worst in terms of buildup?

I've heard murmurings that my go-to RL16 is not great in terms of buildup.

Last edited:
I love my Old AAC Ti-Rant .45 because it can be pulled completely apart and cleaned individually.

My AAC Cyclone is heavy and a beast of a suppressor. But since it is not removable, i think I'll try the CLR soak.

Any updates on how long this took to get cleaned? I've been waiting with bated breath for 2 years.

Reactions: Gtscotty