• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultra light weight rifle options.

bruno86

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2011
Hick Town PA
Im focusing on a ultra light build in a rem 700 .243 for my fiance. My main goal is having a rifle close to 6-6.5 lbs with a scope. I think I decided on a Leupold VX1 2-7x33 at 10.5oz. Im looking for stock and barrel options or if anyone has a mountain rifle barrel or similar laying around let me know. Im going to have the bolt fluted and bolt handle skeletonized. Im just looking for other ideas and and to see if anyone has other options. I already have the donor rifle/action.

Last edited:
If you aren't opposed to spending a little dough... I'd go with a Mountain Rifle profile SS tube of your choice, 1-8" twist so YOU can dick around with some heavies :) , cut at 22". Put that sucker in a McMillan Mountain Rifle Edge handle, ADL bottom metal, and put the little Leupold in some Talley Lightweights. You should be easily at your weight mark, and that will be a great handling little rig.

If you want to shoot longer before POI shift, and you don't mind the price tag, you could look into a Proof Research bbl.

Ruger American compact is 6 pounds. They make one in .243 and they are quite impressive. It takes weaver 46 bases so there are many to choose from.

I just bought a remington mountain stainless 270. I put a aluminum follower, tallys, aluminum trigger housing, and a butler creek mountain sling. I wanna put a lightweight firing pin and shroud on maybe after deer season and I also am gonna send my bolt off to get fluted and handle skeletized. I have it in a bell and Carlson adl mountain stock with a Nikon prostaff 4-12x40 and it weighs right at 7 1/2 pounds. I hope with the other accessories I plan to put on it that I can get it 7 pounds it under. Shorts right at an inch with Winchester power points I have some 140 fail safes to load and try just haven't had time to do it. This is my first lightweight rifle and I love it I do a lot if hunting on public land here in miss and so I usually am hunting deep in woods so I wanted a light rifle that be easy to pack.

MPI probably makes the lightest stocks. You can get their "pounder" option which should get you down to just over a pound with the thinnest recoil pad. I have one on my 280AI.

Rifles Inc. Makes some of the lightest rifles around. The new Kimber mountain rifles are really light but come with all of the Kimber quality issues. As already mentioned, a stock Model 7 would be a good choice and save lots of money.

Ive been looking at the model 7's for some time. I have this 1971 Remington 700 .243, like new, that is just sitting in my safe and begging to be toyed with.

MPI probably makes the lightest stocks. You can get their "pounder" option which should get you down to just over a pound with the thinnest recoil pad. I have one on my 280AI.

Rifles Inc. Makes some of the lightest rifles around. The new Kimber mountain rifles are really light but come with all of the Kimber quality issues. As already mentioned, a stock Model 7 would be a good choice and save lots of money.

Based on recent results with newer model Kimber Montana rifles, I'd say the quality issues are fading away.... And a 6 lb factory stainless rifle in 308 or 7-08 with the Montana stock is pretty hard to beat!

Yep. I am really happy with my 260 Montana. Graphite black, looks cool too

I have two Kimber Montanas from the last 1.5 years and they are solid and shoot great, both well under MOA. I did a lot of research before I bought my first one and it seemed that a lot of the issues were with the 338 federal and 325 WSM. I really couldn't find anything bad about the other chamberings for some reason, no accuracy complaints like those. So I bought a 243 first and then a 223. With optics they are under 6lbs each.

You may get a R700 to 6.5lbs with optics but not any less. I'd just buy the Montana and have it now for a fraction of the cost. To get a R700 built is going to cost atleast twice what a Montana runs. I'm looking at buying a third. I wish they still made them in 7wsm.

Sounds like a fun project to build. Thought since this is a light weight rifle thread, I'd mention the Tikka T3 Superlite. It lists as 5.8 lbs with the fluted stainless barrel. They are exclusives from Sportsman's warehouse and Cabelas. I've been eyeballing one in 308 at my local store, they really are crazy light and have a 3 round sub-moa group guarantee.

Tikka T3 is a great choice for the money. I wish they did a T3 Lite in .260.

RMW, it's just called a 6.5x55 in Finland ;) Same action length....

Used and like both....not much I would not do the same job using a 47, C, -08, or 55 in a 6.5mm.

I would suggest just put a scope on it and use as is. She will shoot it better and make little difference. It is not a heavy rifle now. Light scope and mount and GTG.

Pencil barrel, Manner's ultralight carbon fiber stock, Rem 700 action, your choice of lightweight scope, and lightweight rings and bases!

Careful on the ultra light

Having three daughters with the biggest one about 130#..... I have been in your shoes. recoil is a real consideration with the ultra lites. your caliber is a good choice but a 7.5# 243 will be a lot more shootable that a 6# and you'll spend a lot less achieving that weight. if they hate shooting they won't even want to go. The good part is I have the reject. a la 700, 06 mtn rifle barrel, with a kelvar stock. topped by a 2.5 x8 leupy. pounds me with a 180 grainer but consistant to 450 or so.

good luck
Idahoorion

+1 on the going TOO light. In addition to the recoil, the "pointability" can become a factor. IMHO, while it is fine to go lightweight, the balance of the finished product is also quite important.

Not sure of the weight but my "lightweight" rifle is the Delta Special by David Chirstian and its a liteweight H-S stock, Rem M700, Shilen pencil bbl and VIAS brake-Bushnell Elite 4200, and Montana sling. It's pretty light and been very accurate so far. Its a 7STW caliber and is not bad at all to shoot. My girlfriend shoots it with no problem and shes pretty small. We have shot it out to 1000 with good results. When prone at long distance you have to have your basics down as its light and squirelly but when you do its good for at least 3 shots. Never pushed it past that as the bbl gets hot.

Its nice to have a lightweight and accurate rifle. I would shoot deer myself with this out to 500 with great confidence where I'll be hunting from.