• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ultra Sonic Cleaning solution

experthunter017

Private
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2012
Virginia beach VA
Just got my hornady ultra sonic cleaner , I am curious what people out there are using in the there ultra sonic cleaner. I see there is ALOT of different brands of cleaning solution out there, but are any better then the rest?? and I read some where you can use vinegar and water, is that true?? if so what is the vinegar water mix ratio?

Be sure to run your brass through a baking soda cycle to neutralize the vinegar. Very important.

OF

As part of the article advises:

The Mad Chemist Needs A Neutralizing Agent
At this point the brass was coming out with no carbon deposits whatsoever, but I wasn’t happy with the darkening of the brass so I figured a neutralization step was needed after the vinegar to stop the acid’s reaction. A water rinse was fine with the acidic BC case cleaner, but not sufficient with vinegar. Baking soda (BS) seemed like the easiest and most readily available option to neutralize the reaction. The BS was simply dissolved in water in the proportion shown below. I went through nearly a dozen runs to come up with the best combination of vinegar, dish soap and baking soda.

Water, Lemishine, and a drop of dish soap. The white vinegar trick it a PITA because the neutralizing. The lemishine and dish soap do just right.

My cleaning solution mixes 2 tablespoons of anhydrous (powdered) citric acid in 1 gallon of tap water, with a splash of dishwashing detergent (such as Dawn).

1. Fill the ultrasonic cleaner tank with tap water, to 1" below the maximum fill line.
2. Fill a 600ml Pyrex or Kimax laboratory beaker about half-way with cleaning solution.
3. Place the beaker in the tank and allow the cleaning solution to go through 3 or 4 8-minute cycles. This will remove the bubbles from the solution and enhance its cleaning ability.
4. Place 25-30 de-primed cases in the beaker and run for 3 8-minute cycles.
5. 1 8-minute bath using hot tap water.
6. 1 8-minute bath using distilled water.
7. Place cases (mouth up) in a loading block and permit to dry (air dry or hair blow dryer).

Works great for me.