• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

UltraSonic Brass Cleaning

Mattrmvpd

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 30, 2004
South Georgia
I am looking for SAFE cleaning mixtures for cleaning brass in a ultrasonic cleaner..

I DONT want any chemicals that will harm the brass BUT I do want the cases CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT.

Let me know what mixtures you all use.

Thanks
Matt (LEO SOUTH GA.)

Re: UltraSonic Brass Cleaning

Hot water dish soap and vinegar

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I DONT want any chemicals that will harm the brass BUT I do want the cases CLEAN INSIDE AND OUT.
</div></div>

The best way is put your cleaner on eBay and use the Stainless Steel Media way. No chemicals. CLEANS INSIDE & OUT:)

I have tried home recipes and also Birchwood Casey's case cleaner, but I found that Citranox does the best job.
myerfire

I just started using Citranox and it is doing a great job so far, I bought it from a company through Amazon, $40+ shipping for a gallon

bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hot water dish soap and vinegar </div></div>

What 19Scout77 said; sometimes I add in a little Harbor Freight ultrasonic powder.

What i use... have cleaned lots of cases and only ever see any discoloration if i leave the brass in the cleaner for ages on the first step.

Step 1 Mixture:
50% vinegar
50% water
A few drops of dish soap

I run this in my cleaner for about 30 minutes. I clean 50-60 cases at a time.

Step 2:
Rinse the cases in clean water. You do this by simply running them under the tap or you could fill the sink enough to cover the brass and just dunk them in.

Step 3:
Add diluted BIRCHWOOD CASEY BRASS CLEANER into the ultrasonic cleaner and run the cases in this mixture for 15-30 minutes. Again i do about 50-60 cases. Pour off any fluid into a container and retain for future use.

Step 4:
Rinse brass once more under tap.

Step 5:
Dry the brass

My brass comes out golden yellow and is free of carbon.

IF i get any discoloration from the vinegar stage, I can simply whipe it off with a bit of brasso.

If you ever want "photo quality" looking rounds, just lightly polish your rounds with brasso and they will come out looking like they do in the manufacturers photos!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: armada</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a little reading that may help you out.

Good luck.

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html</div></div>
Best article ever...
I've also used the Hornady Lock N Load case cleaner and the "Cheap and Clean" method works just as good for less.

$20. Harbor Freight US Cleaner w/ 20 308 cases

50% vinegar
50% distilled water
A few drops of dish soap

because of the 3-4min run time of the cleaner I have to hit it 3 or 4 times to get them sparkely
grin.gif

Joe,

Do you use a rinse with Baking Soda after the cleaining... to neutralize the acidity of the vinegar...

I have heard/read from 6mm sight that works for NOT damaging the brass...

Any thoughts...?

Matt.

YEh it works otherwise you have to wash the crap out of the brass to avoid it going pink/purple color in some spots.

actually all I do is rinse well then let dry outside on a towel. brass looks brand new. no spots or color of any type, fired or unfired.

1+

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have tried home recipes and also Birchwood Casey's case cleaner, but I found that Citranox does the best job.
myerfire </div></div>

Add some lemishine and 5 drops of iodine to you 50/50 and soap and you'll
see a huge improvement in cleaning times. It will etch a little of the zink in some
cases. I have no idea why some and not others in the same batch, but it doesn't hurt them anyway. I rinse in hot water, size, trim etc, and then run them through
the tumbler to clean the lube. No neutralizing.

Thanks guys for all the help..

I was able to find some LEMI SHINE...

I used it, HOT water and a couple drops of soap... after 4 runs through the sonic (4 mins each run) they are LIKE NEW!!!

Thanks,
Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skyking</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mm128</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

The best way is put your cleaner on eBay and use the Stainless Steel Media way. No chemicals. CLEANS INSIDE & OUT:) </div></div>
read this and it could happen to anyone using this method
there is always that little piece you did not got out of a case
thread no 2134998 stainless steel media

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canuck4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> read this and it could happen to anyone using this method
thread no 2134998 stainless steel media </div></div>

I think I know where you were aiming with that last post...

Let me translate that from canuckian:

See Mudcat-NC's posts in this thread

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2134998

Always glad to help.

I noticed that after I got mine done.. there was a tiny redish RUST type residue on some of mine...

I did a batch in the regular tumbler in corn cob media/treated...

My conclusion... I am going to have to stay withe the media and tumbler for now... I just turned it on and left it... an hour later they were exaclty like new with no residue...

Matt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GardDog223</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: canuck4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> read this and it could happen to anyone using this method
thread no 2134998 stainless steel media </div></div>

I think I know where you were aiming with that last post...

Let me translate that from canuckian:

See Mudcat-NC's posts in this thread

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2134998

Always glad to help. </div></div>

thank you GardDog223

If you are seeing a little pinkish color it is because a little of the zinc was
leached from the surface of the brass. It doesn't cause any problems.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: repiv</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hornady solution. </div></div>

thats what i am using but it does not work so good even after several 480 second cycles,.. thats following the directions that came with the Hornady cleaner and solution.

even doubling the solution does not work,.. i still get carbon in the primer pockets.

this is with FGMM .308 and my .300WM handloads with 215M primers.

pretty sure i am not going to waiste my money on anymore of there cleaning solution.

Once you try Citranox you will be happy. It works the best. Try all the other mixtures but this works the best. Fast and easy. Brass looks good after a few minutes. My 2 cents.

I use Iosso brass case cleaner for 15 min then rinse, another 15 min with plain water, then let dry. Tumble for 2 hours. Clean and bright. I reuse the Iosso cleaner, the "gunk" sinks to the bottom.

My 2 cents

Paul.

Does anyone know if using glass mason jars instead of glass beakers would affect the cleaning ability?? I know some use the solution in beakers then fill the tank with plain water, but I didn't know if the mason jars would be too thick or not???

Frogman,

I haven't been able to find the right "beaker" for my intended use, so I have been using Mason jars. I've got a cover with a hole to suspend them into the tank (being held up by the lip/rim at the top of the jar/bottom of the threads).

They do the job, but, are so small compared to the size of the tank that there's a whack of wasted space. I'd like to find a larger diameter container, or better yet a rectangular container. So that I can do more brass at each session.

As it is, I haven't done Ultrasonic in some time, and am looking at building myself a tumbler to go the Stainless Steel media, route.

Larger volume, less hassle, same results. I have a thread or two on my Ultrasonic progress, and am pleased with the outcome. just looking to improve, is all.

Thanks Sean,

I'll give it a go and see what the outcome is like. I normally clean 50 at a time so I'm hoping the Ultrasonic route will meet my needs. Stainless steel media is intriguing to say the least.

I just got my citranox in the mail, just need the ultrasonic cleaner to get here.

do you guys rinse your brass after using the citranox??